In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's see those bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 4, 2013.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Mostly Summit Point WV.

stihl sawing, Horkn and bogieb like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Oooohhhh! My speedometer sensor arrived today.

Now I will have another reminder that I'm already speeding. Lol

I've had this bike for 18 seasons. I know when I'm speeding. :whistle:

3. Horkn

Horkn

It's been raining for days. I rode anyways. It was just light rain, enough to wet the road and get my arms wet. Even this afternoon, it drizzled. All of the forecasters said no rain after 12 noon today. Lies...

RCBS, stihl sawing, milleo and 3 others like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

I installed the speedometer sensor on my bike last night after we started the fire in the fire pit. I have not tried it out yet though. Maybe in a few minutes. Gotta put the boat away completely. It's parked, but the cover needs to get put on, and cleaned up.

5. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. Speedometer works again! Yay!!

The original one got taken out when the output shaft beating/ case went.

6. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

eatonpcat, bogieb, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

RCBS, eatonpcat, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

This heatwave is oppressive. I get home from the 30-40 minute commute and have to peel off my gear. Almost ready to take the cage w/ a/c.
    15E82032-0516-4384-848B-2F48ABCBA0EB.jpeg

Bert, milleo, RCBS and 5 others like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, I got stuck behind a train crossing for 10 minutes on Friday. I was head to toe sweat. Yes, all the gear, and no vents on my over pants. Uggg.

I tested the cooling system on my bike though. That passed with flying colors.

Bert, milleo, RCBS and 5 others like this.
  10. bogieb

bogieb

I rode the back roads home to stay in the cooler, tree shaded roads. A little longer and slower commute home, but ,much nicer than staying on the main roads for the first 17 miles

Bert, milleo, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  11. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

The looks you get...and even comments sometimes from people who see you all geared up in weather like that:picard:...I even got into it once with another rider leaving a NASCAR race who saw me gearing up while he and the missus were hoping on their big cruiser with shorts and tanks and flip flops on, "but it's better than being dead or less uncomfortable than road rash" I told him. He took offense, not sure why, prolly had a few too many beers in him:picard::picard:

Bert, milleo, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  12. RCBS

RCBS

Better to sweat than to bleed. So long as I'm not in town, a mesh jacket and helmet with good venting do very well in keeping me cool when riding. I started using an Alaska Sheep Skin seat cover last year...really helps keep the derriere more comfortable in the heat and in general on longer rides. My bikes exhaust literally runs right up underneath the seat. Not a problem out on a 2 lane country highway, but sitting in traffic is miserable. Sun cooking from above, engine from below.

Bert, brenndatomu, DaveGunter and 3 others like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

RCBS , yes, some bikes are less enjoyable when it gets super hot, depending on where the exhaust is routed.

On my bike, while it doesn't have an underseat muffler, the rear cylinder and associated exhaust is right under your seat. The headers snake around at the bottom of the bike under the front of the swingarm. So, getting stuck in traffic in a heat wave sucks a bit more than it should. Granted, most bikes have exhaust pipes that add to the roasting experience, but some are much better than others. I would think that even an electric bike's battery and motor will get hot enough to radiate cooking heat in 100° temps with traffic.

brenndatomu, RCBS and bogieb like this.
  14. RCBS

RCBS

I have never ridden without a helmet, armored jacket, boots and gloves. I do ride in denim pants quite a bit more than I should. But those are my minimums. TBH, I don't really like to ride with folks who don't hear up at least a little more than a helmet. It only took me witnessing 1 hard wreck to solidify my stance. Fellow had some gear, but his open face helmet didn't help his face much. He survived, but I doubt he went looking for a new motorcycle after recovery. He froze up and drove straight through a turn. My group arrived less than a minute after. Broken arm, missing teeth and not sure what all else. Spanky new Triumph Thruxton torn to bits.

Yep, I'll either sweat, or wait for cooler temps.

Bert, Horkn, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  15. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I agree with all points!

Bert, Horkn, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Had a customer do that the next day after picking up a new V-Max...went riding with more experienced buddys in WV...when nobody seen him in a while they went back looking, took a while but somebody finally noticed the single skid mark straight into and over the guard rail...right out into the tree tops. No amount of gear is gonna help you with that one...unless you have on one of those new air bag suits maybe.
    Me too...need to get a pair of these AGV Sport Corsica Kevlar® Jeans :: MotorcycleGear.com

Bert, Horkn, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  17. RCBS

RCBS

Tis true, a catastrophic get-off will negate most any protective gear. Kindof like a seat belt in a 100+ mph head on automobile collision. Prolly not gonna do much for ya.

I have full-on riding pants that are armored, but also cumbersome and not good for anything off the bike. I have noticed that when I do wear them, I have a sense of invulnerability since "I'm fully geared up.". Obviously this is not at all the case, but I'm always a little more rowdy when I don them for some reason.

Wanted to get a ride in yesterday. Wasn't able to get out early and the heat kept me off the bike later on. 90* is prettymuch my limit for an enjoyable ride. Normally in my area there'd have been hundreds of motorcycles running around...I saw 3 when I went into town.

18. Bert

Bert

I ride with all the gear all the time! I don't ride when it's hot! I ride in the mornings or the evenings so I always have to be on the lookout for forest rats.:bug:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    RCBS, brenndatomu, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

Or
    Or bigger forest critters. They'll cross right in front of you. IMG_20180706_135934793.jpg

milleo, RCBS, Bert and 1 other person like this.
  20. Bert

Bert

Or small kamikaze forest rats.
    080.JPG

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    milleo, Horkn and RCBS like this.