In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's see those bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 4, 2013.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Have a guy at work with a 2WD Ural. Sidecar, whole bit. Not fast but goes anywhere. Another co-worker, now retired, rode an '01 Honda Shadow in the snow every chance he got.

2. BrianK

BrianK

I've always wanted to see a Ural in person then this past fall a shiny dark green one went down my street, looked like it was fresh off the showroom floor. The Ural with the solid rear axle is legendary for going anywhere.

I don't think I would have wanted to ride any of my Hondas in the snow. :eek:

3. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

I have a friend with a Ural (I think they're the Russian replicas of an older BMW(?)) ...anyway, he rides it with his dog in the side car sometimes. He's got a bunch of toys. Riding on just two wheels... I'll do it in the winter when the snow is off the roads and it's clear sailing, just cold.. sometimes that happens around here, but not too often.. and usually the salt they put down is also a major deterrent unless it's rained a lot. But riding in icy or snowing roads.. just nutz.

4. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

After all, I've got $700 dollars worth of electric underwear. Gerbing inner jacket, that plugs to a controller that plugs into the bike. Gering gloves that plug into the sleeves of the jackets. Gerbing pants that plug into the jacket and Gerbing boot soles electric boot soles to keep the feet warm. That and a 3/4 helmet with face shield.. I can ride all day in below freezing weather. ...and I do frequently before the snow flies.. and from late March onward till it warms up. Adds about 90 comfortable riding days to my season.

www.gerbing.com

DaveGunter likes this.
  5. tfdchief

tfdchief

Me and my grandson at Turkey Bay
    Photo Nov 25, 9 28 38 AM.jpg
    My son and grandson
    Photo Nov 25, 9 28 16 AM.jpg

6. BrianK

BrianK

MasterMech and milleo like this.
  7. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Gerbing makes nice stuff. I've got heated grips with HippoHands installed, so I can use my regular gloves with better crash protection. Heated gear under my Aerostistch Roadcrafter and I'm good down to about 20*. My problem is my bike only makes 280 watts, with the high beam on I'm running at a deficit. I won't ride after they salt the roads unless we get a good rain. The salt is hell on the cast aluminum engine block and drive line.

8. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Yeah, the salt and sand around here keep my bikes pretty much in the garage until a couple good soaking rains wash the roads down. By end of March I can usually get out. Of course sometimes we still have April snow storms, but they always melt fast at that point.

Plenty of times in June the jacket liner and gloves come out for a ride home on a chilly night, or a cold spell. Typical weird New England (can't make up it's mind) weather.

9. BrianK

BrianK

"If you dont like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes." - Mark Twain

10. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

08 Goldwing. motorcycles 277.jpg motorcycles 203.jpg motorcycles 204.jpg motorcycles 212.jpg motorcycles 211.jpg

gbreda, rottiman, milleo and 4 others like this.
  11. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

with trailer deer hunting 155.jpg

rottiman, milleo, Fifelaker and 2 others like this.
  12. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

13. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Sold this one, before I bought the 08 Goldwing. Wish I had kept it. it was a pretty bike. 84 aspencade.

motorcycles 004.jpg motorcycles 003.jpg motorcycles 002.jpg motorcycles 001.jpg

tfdchief likes this.
  14. 343amc

343amc

Saw this pic posted by a friend on Facebook. Supposedly it was taken near Fruitport, MI. I can't speak to its validity, but whoever is on that bike deserves a hardcore biker award.

Attached Files:

bobdog2o02 and smoke show like this.
  15. tfdchief

tfdchief

Off the topic, but DaveGunter, what a gorgeous Beagle in your Avatar!

milleo and DaveGunter like this.
  16. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

I've done that couple times, ride to work in the morning and it would snow coming home. I used to ride year round. worst I ever remember was getting caught in a tornado on one. that was scary. found a bridge to get under. the hail would have beat me to death.

17. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

That's Oliver! the Hound, 1/2 Walker hound 1/2 mix (Shepard, collie, lab), he is a challenge, but a great dog, my firewood scrounging buddy. His father, the walker, jumped/climbed a 5 foot chain link fence to get to his mother. He is the star of the ice rescue story

18. gbreda

gbreda

19. gbreda

gbreda

stihl sawing likes this.
  20. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Thank you, they are nice, the speed and handling will surprise you. Much better than my nomad. I am going to sell that nomad when spring gets here. I put 65,000 miles on it and I retired last summer so I don't need it. I bought that 08 wing in 2010. it was brand new in the crate. got a really good deal on it being two years old.

the only difference in the new ones at that time was a tire pressure alert. figured that wasn't worth 5000 dollars. Now they have changed them up completely. wish they would put a sixth gear in one.

DexterDay and gbreda like this.