In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's see those bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 4, 2013.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Which is soooo subjective. Tires are like oil, there is no best, just your personal fav. :thumbs:

bogieb and eatonpcat like this.
  2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

o_OWait! What?!?:confused:
    Oils are all the same?!?:bug:

:whistle:

;)

:rofl: :lol:

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
    Just don't come at me and tell me how good Shell Rotella (diesel truck oil, as I'm sure you are aware)is in a wet clutch motorcycle... :doh:

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Wait. It's rated for wet clutches! I run it in everything! The truck, car, sleds, mix oil, bar oil. I even deep fry my chicken skins in it!:eek:

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Lol, yeah... it has an excellent sheer package for transmissions and adds a very unique flavor to poultry. Cluck cluck.
    upload_2017-12-14_21-45-31.jpeg

bogieb, eatonpcat and TurboDiesel like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

BDF , so you like the big kawi, huh? That concours 14 has a motor based on the zx14, so it's really no surprise that the mpg isn't the best in the class.;)

The new H2 SX has me a little intrigued. I just don't know if I'm at that point of my life to be on a touring bike, even if it's a very sporty tourer.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    eatonpcat likes this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

Yes and no. New tire tech really does change things. Now, when Michelin was supplying tires to MotoGP, they were at the fore front of tire tech. Then after several years, Michelin kinda gave up, imho, on r&d in MotoGP, and they got booted as the sole supplier of tires to MotoGP. That's when Michelin got passed and slid a bit on tire tech. ( Double pun there ;))

I get better grip, and better wear as far as I see and others that have run them to EOL, with the metzelers that I run vs pilot powers.

Bike tires, like oil, change all the time. Oils are even more rapidly changing due to oil standards regarding catalytic converters in automotive use. Then there's energy conserving vs not rated for that, and all the API ratings and zinc to phosphates,. Etc. Some of those diesel oils that were good for wet clutch bike use are no longer good anymore.

If you use non bike specific oils, you really have to watch what you put in, and if it's changed formulas.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    eatonpcat likes this.
  8. ErikR

ErikR

Am I missing something? I ran Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40 in my Goldwing (36,000), my FJR(32,000) and now my Zx14(51,000). Combined it's well over 100,000 trouble free miles. It's JASO MA rated, non "energy conserving" labeled oil..... This is bad???

Horkn and bogieb like this.
  9. BDF

BDF

No, it is not 'bad'. This has turned into the ever- dreaded "oil thread" with perhaps a bit of the equally- dreaded "tire thread" mixed in. Not sure if someone or more than one are kidding or not but it makes no difference in an oil thread. There is only one thing to do- back away slowly, not making eye contact, until at a safe distance and then run as fast as you can and hope 'the beast' either does not see you or is more interested in other things at that particular moment.

The FJR forum has a special section reserved just for this titled something like 'Pointless, never- ending, recurring topics without merit' that all oil, tire, windshield and a fair number of other threads get transferred into. Once 'oil' is mentioned in any thread referencing any internal combuston engine, all content and hope is lost forever. :D

Horkn, bogieb and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Well said, and with that I will back away slowly to get this thread back on topic.

And I’ll give this specific pic a booo hissss.
    4E619BCB-9D3F-43F5-A0F8-1BD0636ADDB4.jpeg
    Into hibernation. :shiver:

milleo, Horkn and bogieb like this.
  11. BDF

BDF

I was not criticizing anyone, and my intention was not to insult anyone. So if my post sounded like I was chastising anyone, my apologies and that was and is not my intent.

My intention was to make an amusing observation that I believe contains a lot of truth. I personally have participated in MANY oil and tire threads, but mostly oil because I have a little background in tribology. And I am not a forum Nazi in the least and do do not care what anyone posts in any thread; I am often as or more guilty than anyone else of de- railing threads from the real topic.

And just to show you that I am serious and mean business (said with a stern voice!), I use Rotella 15W-40, 75% mixed with Penzoil 10W-40, 25% (both mineral oils, not synthetics), and add 2 ounces of break in lube (ZDDP, never moly disulfide based) to 4 1/2 quarts for each oil change. It allows outstanding shifting ease and smoothness (something the C-14 is fairly sensitive to regarding engine oil I have found), does not affect a wet- plate clutch and turns the mix a beautiful deep red that surprises everyone (at least those that I allow to peak into my <ahem> crankcase (Easy Boys!) ). Seriously, 100K miles and zero visible wear on any parts in the valve train but who knows, old, used diesel oil filtered through pantyhouse might work as well..... :D

But oil threads are still great fun. I merely posted what I did because it seemed like someone might be taking this seriously and thinking he was doing something wrong by using the 'wrong' oil.

Brian (nothing beats a good lubricant, well applied and used)

P.S. If you have the time, go to any firearm forum and post the question: "what is the best oil to use on my [1911 is always good, as is any type of revolved]. Then stand back 'cause it is going to get loud and messy. :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Ever ride a 1800 Wing? Freaking sportbike with bags...they'll surprise you!

13. Horkn

Horkn

A co-worker just got a wing f6b this year. I'll give it a rest ride next season. Have him take my bike for a ride. Lol.

I know that wings are essentially built like a giant sport bike once you look at the frame.

Still, Dunno if I'm at that point of my life yet. Which tells me I'm not :handshake:

bogieb and eatonpcat like this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

True.

My only point is that you better know what exactly your are putting in your bike as far as oil. Put the wrong thing in, and you only have yourself to blame if things go south.:handshake:

Tires, they are more subjective, but how I ride, what I ride, and where I ride, I've found better than the tire brand I used to ride on.:yes:

bogieb likes this.
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You dunno how many times I heard that at the shop...and so many times a free test ride turned into the ride home...
    Aw come on, you know you want ABS, trac control, AM/FM/CD/CB/MP3, GPS/NAV sys, air bag, heated grips and seat, air ride, cruise control...
    etc, etc... :whistle:;)

bogieb, eatonpcat and Horkn like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

The heated grips, abs, traction control, cornering ABS, wheelie control, ride mode selector, cruise control, anti stoppie control, and other things are actually standard on many of the sport bikes I'm eyeing. The radio thing I think isn't a great thing. It's a distraction, and that's not good. I can get a Bluetooth speaker for my phone, and can call when I want by voice, and get directions from my phone en route that way.

bogieb, eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  17. BDF

BDF

When I first started riding long- distance, I seriously considered a HondaPotamus. Took one for a test ride and it was all that I expected and more; beautiful, refined and no significant flaws. And their reliability and durability is legendary.

But..... it just did not 'float my boat'. If I had one in the garage, honestly I would not care if I rode it or not. And that was pretty much it with me and Oldwings; I still have all the respect in the world for them, and highly recommend them to others looking for long distance comfort but it just did not 'do it' for me. More's the pity too because they truly are magnificent and there are about a zillion farkles out there for them to make that bike into anything one could possible want..... except sleek.

Brian

18. bogieb

bogieb

Having the bike "speak to you" is very important. Although my old C50 was great for original intended purposes (commuting 80 RT each day - at 60 mpg), and did what I "needed it to, I did not love it. As a consequence, although I rode to work a lot, I never was comfortable taking it just for joy rides. I sat on 100's of bikes before my first Street Glide caught my fancy. Mind you, I had sat on plenty of SG's, just none of them floated my boat. When I found "the one", I knew it (and it didn't have much fancy besides hard bags and a radio). There happened to be two '06 SG's, almost identical side by side that day. I thought that if either were to be right, it would be the blue one. But I didn't feel it when I sat on it.

My current bike was the same thing. I wasn't looking for a bike, but I like to sit on them when I am at a dealer. Once again I had sat on plenty of newer SG's , but thought "meh". Then I sat on the used '11 I have now and had to talk myself out of talking to a sales person right then (I am usually very practical - and I had a great bike already). It stayed on my mind for a couple of days before I made enquiries. Then I set the price I was willing to pay (after trade-in) so low compared to the asking price that I figured there would be no way they would go for it - thus satisfying my practical side.

Well, you know how that all worked out :D. Not a day goes by that I'm not still taken with that bike.

Well, you know the rest :D. And there isn't a day that I'm not still taken with that bike.

Horkn likes this.
  19. BDF

BDF

Yeah, and I have had it go the other way too; the bike was very appealing but a mistake.

Back in '10 I think it was, Honda introduced the new VFR1200, a V-4 that was not a sport bike, not a tourer, not.... well anything. It was just different. IMO Honda did a terrible job of introducing the bike, including the statement that 'we left some vibration in to enhance the riding experience' or something similar. My idea of good vibration is no vibration. Anyway, happened to be at a dealer some distance away and what it sitting on the floor- yep, a brand new, shiny VFR1200. Next thing I knew, I was riding the thing and I have to say, it was fantastic! I was really having trouble NOT unscrewing the plate off of my C-14 and putting it on that thing. But really, it was the wrong bike for me: no saddlebags (although factory hard bags were available, they were small in size and astronomical in price), no electric windshield, poor leg protection and a host of other things, some of which could be fixed, some not. It was also seriously overpriced, farkles were few and far- between and also overpriced. So in the end, the bike did not follow me home but honestly, I can still generate a little smile thinking of one of those in the garage. :whistle:

HondaVFR1200ST_02.jpg

VFR 1200.jpg

Rode a ZX 14 the same day. Nice bike but too close to a C-14 to actually own one, at least one that was not modified. Huffing about 5 PSI down the throat (supercharger) of one of those things could fix every single shortfall it had though! :bug: In fact, in stock for, it is actually easier to loft the front wheel on a C-14 than a ZX 14, probably because the powerband is so much higher on the ZX.

ZX 1400.jpg

Brian

milleo, Horkn and bogieb like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:headbang:
    I'm really starting to hate winter.
    Sorry if anyone took us seriously !
    That was not our intent... accept the french fried chicken skin part...:jaw:

The Wood Wolverine, Horkn and bogieb like this.