In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's see those bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bogieb

bogieb

Last bike ride of the season yesterday. Temps ranged from in the 30's to mid 40's. They are picking up the bike this morning to take it to storage.

bike in parking lot 12-5-17.jpg Selfie - last ride 12-4-17.jpg

RCBS, milleo, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  2. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Running a KTM 300XC-W and my woman rides a Honda XR200. This is from one of our rises down in WV on the Hatfield McCoy trails system. Best vacation spot I've found so far!

Attached Files:

Horkn, TurboDiesel, milleo and 4 others like this.
  3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Very nice! We’ve been thinking about taking the Jeep there for some fun.

4. RCBS

RCBS

Been to Rausch yet? Park Information | Rausch Creek Off-Road Park

I was supposed to get over there a couple times back when I was into wheelin, but never did make it. Hatfield McCoy is awesome on a quad, but I don't think they have many trails open for OHVs.

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yes, quite often. We called ourselves the Dirty Beavers lol. Most of my wheelin buddies sold their rigs so we don't get out as much now.
    group1.jpg

Attached Files:

6. BDF

BDF

My 2008 Kawasaki C-14 is on the left, Chet's is on the right (identical bike, different farkles). That photo was taken at Ocean Shores, WA, on Wed. 8 June in the morning. I left RI on Mon., 6 June, headed to Rye, NY and started my official IBA 50CC, Coast- to Coast in 50 hours. Mine was the northern route, also called 'the hard way'; the northern route is over 3K miles, while the southern route usually used is between Jacksonville, FL and San Diego, CA, at ~2,300 miles. The difference is that one can catch some sleep on the southern route but the northern route almost has to be made in one 'sitting'.

Chet is a friend of mine who met me in Seattle on the way to the coast and rode with me for the last 80 miles or so. Had another friend ride up from Colorado and ride a couple hundred miles with me in Wyoming.

Chet on the beach Ocean Shore.JPG

This is me holding the two time stamped, dated receipts that show my start and end points and time as one of the conditions to certify the ride:

Me at end CC 50 2.jpg

Two receipts.jpg

Note the two times, compensate for the three hour time difference and I not only made the trip in the allotted 50 hours, I cracked 48 and actually took 47:52 with 3,132 miles (from Rye, NY to Ocean Shores, WA- the RI to NY leg was NOT part of the CC50).

Once the IBA certifies the ride, calls the starting and ending witnesses, they assign a mileage covered; this is always less than the actual mileage because they plot the shortest routes between all documented stop points along the way. My actual mileage was 3,132 miles in the allotted 50 hours; they will not give an actual time because their slogan is "It is a rally, not a race".

It is worth it though 'cause you get all this treasure when it is over.....

Certificate Photo.jpg

The route from SPOT (satallite locating device):

RI to Tacoma 1 June.JPG

I was three days before I could walk quite right. Took my time coming back and used 5 days, stayed in a hotel each night like Mary Jane Tinklepants.

The ODO at 75K (there is just under 100K on it now but I have not ridden it since the house project swallowed my whole life).

75K miles.jpg

Brian

Attached Files:

Horkn, eatonpcat, greendohn and 6 others like this.
  7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Dang Brian, that's a helluva run! I often wonder the motivation. These runs can't be enjoyable (and the days after). @ any rate, awesome share! Any chance you know a man named Russell Flemming? I've participated in his rides locally quite often. Real good guy and long time COG fellow.

Horkn, bogieb and RCBS like this.
  8. RCBS

RCBS

Have heard that Rausch is a fun place. The best wheeling I got to do was down at Tellico before it was closed. Always wanted to go to Harlan KY also. Wheeling was fun, but I was using my DD. Found out right quick that's not a great idea. Never had the means to put together a dedicated rig and tow pig.

Horkn, bogieb and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  9. BDF

BDF

Yeah, the experience is unique although not 'fun' in any traditional sense. Also very interesting how the mind works when suffering from sleep deprivation; I remember the trip very well but it has no order or sequence for almost all of it. It is as if a photo was taken of a multi- day event at ten second intervals, then all the photos were dropped and mixed up. I very clearly remember things but as single snapshots rather than in a line of events. Very odd happenstance.

The motivation is reaching a difficult, but achievable goal. The best way I have ever heard my own sentiments described were 'The question is not how far will you go but will you go as far as is required?' And that basically sums it up: a very simple proposition, coast to coast in 50 hours or less.... can you complete that? I believe I understand the same call applies to mountain climbers, and the ultimate call would be from the ultimate mountains; those that are so tall a mammal literally cannot live at the peak (called the 'Death Zone', a well acclimatized human has a matter of a few hours there and must descend or die). Not feeling that particular urge myself but I can understand it I think: can I make it to the top of the highest points on the planet or not?

Yeah, I know Russell from several COG functions! Small world.

For whatever reason(s), Kawasaki is not well represented in the IBA circles. Yamaha certainly is (FJR is the weapon of choice), HondaPotamuses, and a huge group of BMW (Bring More Wallet), usually about 1/2 of all the bikes in any event. But few Kawasakis of any model. Part of that is no doubt the relatively small fuel tank of 5.8 gallons, combined with less than stellar mileage to yield limited range w/out an aux. tank. I made 18 fuel stops from Rye to Ocean Shores, an OldWing could have cut 4 or 5 of those stops out entirely.

Brian

brenndatomu, eatonpcat, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:whistle:
    :jaw:

I think some Heavier music would have got you through there:whistle:

brenndatomu, eatonpcat, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Looks like the Michelins are the tires of choice?

12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

brenndatomu, eatonpcat, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

If ya ever wanna meet up and ride, gimmie a shout!
    4CBD7D46-C3EC-4F92-B526-75E083E85278.jpeg

And yes, Michelin’s are well liked in this area.

14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:dex:h3ll yeah...
    thats a plan, as lone as you don't mind us holding you back...;)

15. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

As long as it’s not breaking down along the way.. lol!!

brenndatomu, eatonpcat and Horkn like this.
  16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Oh! Because it's a Honda?!? o_O

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

they haven't left us sitting yet...:thumbs:

17. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Definitely not. I've owned Hondas for the past 17 yrs. This one for 10 of those:
    DSC07149.JPG
    Generally speaking, they are one of the most reliable brands.
    I don't mind putzing around on occasion. Long highway runs are my Achilles heel. I don't enjoy staying mostly upright.

18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

So...this is more your style:eek:

eatonpcat and milleo like this.
  19. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Can't "like" that. Giving everyone on 2 wheels a bad name.

eatonpcat likes this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn

Michelin make great bike tires. It's hard to fault them. I put on several sets of pilot powers of different flavors over the years until I found something better.;)