In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's see those bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Bert

Bert

I keep it plugged when I'm not out riding, I'm still working on a 2008 battery.

upload_2017-11-23_13-27-30.jpeg

2. Bert

Bert

Thanks The Wood Wolverine, I'll check them out.

Horkn and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  3. bogieb

bogieb

I have one of those just My garage is a bit on the cramped side and no electric near where the bike is - I would have to throw an extension cord over (or under) the car. And, I can't even get to the electrical outlet without climbing onto the car. The car is angled slightly so the front right bumper is about 2" from the wall but I can still squeeze into the basement door beside the back passenger door.

If the bike hadn't started, I would have removed the battery and hooked it up to the battery tender inside.

Full Garage with bike-snowblower-pellets-car2.jpg

milleo, Horkn and Bert like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

I had no complaints about the m1's. They were better than anything else at that time. At the time they got 3k a rear tire. Then I went to pilot powers. I was very happy for a long time.

Then I went to the metzeler m7rr's. Oh boy. They stick even better up until higher end track day use. On the street, they are absolutely amazing. I'm told they get 4500 miles on a rear on a bike like mine, and how I ride. That's great for a true sport bike tire. Those m7rr's even kept me upright when my rear tire got coated in engine oil from the output shaft bearing failure. They are that good.

The z series metzeler tires are a sport touring tire. Pushing on those on a sportier bike will end up with loss of grip. That's the price to pay for tires that last longer. To me, that's not something I play with.

My buddy has the bridgestone battlax tires on his fz07, that is having the loss of grip. 9000 miles and 3 seasons on BT 23's will do that, meat on the tire or not.

The Wood Wolverine and bogieb like this.
  5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Agree'd!
    I mounted a set of the m7rr's on a friends EBR1190rx. He loves them too!

bogieb and Horkn like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

Went for a ride today. 66°, and I said if I have to start it, I'll ride it.
    IMG_20171124_145555265.jpg
    She rode great. But yeah, I need a new speedo sensor, mine got bogarted when the old output shaft walked. They are ~$20 on eBay used.

milleo, OhioStihl, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  7. greendohn

greendohn

Tires,,,
    My old R12 has the original Bridgrstones and past due for replacement in spite of fat tread.
    Over at Chromeheads.com, the Perelli MT66 gets good reviews.
    I'm not so worried about cost as I am stickiness.
    Of course my disposable income isn't unlimited but I try to swing what I determined to best from reviews.
    Thoughts?

Bert and Horkn like this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

Pirelli makes great tires. They are usually shorter lived than other brands,. But they are sticky. Metzeler also makes great tires, and so does bridgestone and Michelin. Dunlop as well, although I personally like how Dunlop's behave. Continental also makes great tires. So, you've got lots of choices. What do other R1200c riders use? I see there's an 18" front tire. So your options are a bit different than what I'm used to.

greendohn likes this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Metzlers were always a favorite of the Beemer crowd at our shop...

Horkn and greendohn like this.
  10. greendohn

greendohn

There's a Michelin some have mentioned, I'm thinking the r12 isn't heavy enough for them..again, an opinion all my own, based on reading. Avon is another one mentioned,,cobra/viper or something,,I had put the Continental on my old CB 900 way back in the late 80's/early 90's, my old Sportster as well as that vx1100 several years ago.
    Appreciate the vote on the Pirelli as that's what I'm sold on.
    I'm not one for aggressive riding,,,"spirited" perhaps,,, at times, Mostly back roads and 2 lane rural hi-ways.

Horkn likes this.
  11. greendohn

greendohn

^^Edit^^

It's actually been a good 6 (or more) weeks since reading up on tires..gonna' have to check my notes out in the garage..I don't know why the mt66 is stuck in my head..
    I very well could be banging this keyboard for no good reason...:whistle:

bogieb and Horkn like this.
  12. Horkn

Horkn

It's because they are a German brand. Now metzeler is owned by pirelli, which are Italian. Now, Continental are German too.

brenndatomu and greendohn like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That may have been part of it for some people, but for the most part people liked the handling and life...mounted a ton of the old ME88s on, well, almost any/everything.

bogieb, greendohn and Horkn like this.
  14. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Put the old Beemer to bed for the winter today...for the 23rd time, a few thousand ticks over 250,000 on the clock. I think I'll keep it.
    20171203_131028.jpg

damm oil drain plug finally gave up after 23 years and 102 oil changes.:D
    20171203_141220.jpg

milleo, eatonpcat, greendohn and 3 others like this.
  15. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I got out a little today. Beautiful weather here, about 55 degrees and clear skies. Rode around the battlefield.

746E5C84-A79C-4C8F-9562-67327C94D885.jpeg F22A4707-C71A-49F9-BDE1-FF65005C4802.jpeg 6E1A2F33-ABDD-47DE-BE67-94EF7B59B9FC.jpeg D5855F52-56ED-4A88-85CC-984E4F1AAA0D.jpeg

16. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Hey, I know that place! I can't place the third pic, but the others are the confederate side of Pickets Charge, I believe that's Robert E. Lee on the horse, Little Round Top, and Devils Den.

Did you know that the status of the officer in the battle is depicted by the horse? If the horse is standing on all four hooves, the officer was uninjured, three hooves he was wounded, two hooves he was killed.

milleo, eatonpcat, greendohn and 4 others like this.
  17. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yes, we did know that. Most people do not. And the third pic is on top of the hill near Russell Tavern looking toward the small town I went to school (Biglerville).
    Russell Tavern / African American Heritage / Home - The Journey Through Hallowed Ground

This pic is to the left of Devils Den, where the stream ran red.
    B0357C9D-4F3B-4A72-9D66-EE9B603DEADA.jpeg

DaveGunter, milleo, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  18. bogieb

bogieb

Rode last Wednesday to work. It was fine at home with dry roads and 40*. My house is usually the cold spot and it gets warmer on the way to work. However, 2 miles into the ride it all changed - to snow covered roads and some icy spots. Snow was sticking, not blowing off the road. I was following car tracks. Considering I get to work while still dark, and a 30 mile ride - I did not have fun to say the least. Bike fishtailed a couple of times on ice, but I kept her upright. Slowed traffic down a bit. At the first pass zone that I waved a car past, they took it. The next one, with a line of cars behind me, I waved to let the car know I was expecting them to pass. They declined to take it - or any other opportunities :bug:. Scared me knowing they didn't want to chance trying to pass. First time riding on ice, and I'm all set with that!

bike on ice 11-29-17.jpg

Ride home was supposed to be in the 50's, but that was attained at about 1:30 then the wind came up and temps started dropping quickly. It was again 40 once I got home. I took the long way home (thru another town) so that I could stay on flat-ish roads. My normal road is a 600' drop in 2.5 miles - and some of that the sun never reaches in s-curves. Did not want to find out that there was still ice in a one of those downhill curves!

Hoping to ride tomorrow - it is supposed to get into low 40's. I have the day off but have to deliver presents for 19 kids. Tuesday morning the bike is being picked up for transport for winter storage so it will be my last chance.

DaveGunter, milleo, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

bogieb sounds like you had a not so bueno ride home. 2 wheelers on ice or snow with no studs are really not a good combo. Really, the only time bikes and snow and ice are ok are these 2 situations
    ice_racing_skjjsd_moto_bike.jpg
    timbersled.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  20. bogieb

bogieb

Yeah, at least I had new tires. The old tires would have failed me entirely!

Horkn likes this.