In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's see those bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

You are correct on Tennessee. Was down there again a couple weekends ago. Here's a video.

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

My flush schedule is very short. The higher the boiling point of the “racing” brake fluids, the quicker they absorb moisture. I don’t mind tinkering.

During yesterday’s commute on the Duc, I stalled it once and the clutch felt off. Took the cover off the res and :eek:, fluid almost non-existent. :hair: Made it home but today I come to the realization that fluid went somewhere. :emptywallet: Just ordered an Oberon clutch slave cylinder. $140ish. With 45k on the odo, can’t complain.

3. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

Are you getting much riding in this year? I'm going on 6K for the year. Farthest i took the bike was Scotty's GTG and that was only 120 miles away. The rest is back and forth to Pittsburgh for work.

4. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

I know you weren't talking to me, buy I'm new (to actually riding on the street/backroad/legal) since I bought my Suzuki Drz400SM in July, and I'm up to ALMOST 3800 miles.

It came factory with street tires but they swapped some Shinko Trail Masters on for me at the dealership.

I felt my rear tire needed changing and just took it to a guy today. The rear would slide more easily on braking, and definitely wasnt getting in anything wet in it's condition. Went with Michellin Trail Raid Max or something . I'll get the equipment to do it myself eventually. Will update tomorrow after trying them out!

20230922_163609.jpg

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Riding when I can. Not a whole lot of just taking a day and going, but I am commuting to work and taking the long way home. Haven’t tracked the mileage. I can’t be much because I haven’t reached my oil change interval yet (4k).

6. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Im with yall, commuting is adding most of my miles, including the long way home. Ohio trip added 1400 miles (2. 12 hour rides).
    I Put it on the road July 22, 5110 miles to date...with a few hundred more before the cold hits.
    When I rode 20 years ago, best I saw was 3000 miles.

7. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

My best year with the old Harley was 12,500 But i was a younger wilder kid back then. Man i miss that old bike

eatonpcat and Sirchopsalot like this.
  8. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Miss my first Shadow as well.
    No regrets, all in due time.
    12500 miles is a tall mark to beat.
    If I had the putt early in the riding season, miles would have been more I reckon.

9. ole

ole

10. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Here's another one from the last time in TN.

11. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

Went riding around Saturday, out to a bike shop in Plano with a buddy. He bought a new helmet and we bought the Cardo Freecom4X duo. The store associate installed them in our helmets and initial setup while we ate at Fuzzys Tacos next door and gave us the rundown when we came back.

It was nice being able to communicate verbally.

We came back to our area and rode here and there, and at a city gravel stockpile site I came up on a small rat snake. I got a stick to support him and picked him up. Buddy says let on the handlebars.. okay. He goes up in behind my headlight fascia and won't come out.

We rode for a little bit before he decided to come out and he escaped safely and without harm. He was my first passenger, and now my wife is mad that it wasn't her.

IMG_3529.jpg IMG_3530.jpg IMG_3531.jpg IMG_3532.jpg IMG_3534.jpg IMG_3533.jpg

12. clay shooter

clay shooter

if that was my bike,id dump it and be gone, hate snakes

13. BrianK

BrianK

Due to residual left foot drop from multiple strokes I’ve settled on a maxi scooter so I don’t have to upshift with my left foot. It’s a 2006 Honda Silverwing 600 and it actually runs pretty good for a maxi scooter.
    92010FE0-CF22-4065-845F-D7B16F34D803.jpeg
    On Monday November 13 I’m leaving from here in northwest Virginia for Orlando FL to visit an old friend from med school. It will be a 2400 mile round trip, the first multi day trip I’ve ever attempted.

And if all goes well, I’ll be trailering a home made mini motorcycle pop up camper trailer. I simply mounted a hard shell roof top tent to a small motorcycle trailer frame.
    93B54040-2AEE-4BDC-8A11-4A775FDDBFA9.jpeg
    506B3CAA-F3C9-4C56-A77C-E625B7F23C60.jpeg
    A83A3AA5-C365-4DDF-A666-535131ED0012.jpeg
    If the weather holds I’m going to start the journey by riding down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The campgrounds in each park are all closed for the season as of October 31, so I made reservations at some independent and state park campgrounds along the route.

I’ve never attempted this kind / length of ride. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

I have cold, rain and summer riding gear, a lithium jump starter battery and a tire mushroom plug tool in case of tire trouble, winter and summer gloves and Aerostich waterproof over gloves, even a denatured alcohol sailboat heater/ cooker in case I run into really bad weather and need to wait it out, mess kit, etc.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Don’t rush it. BRP is a glorious road on 2 wheels. Savor every moment and plan fuel stops accordingly. I exited more than once on fumes. Another thing that got me a little was the elevation changes. It can mess with your ears/head. Wife and I rode from Gettysburg to Roanoke, stayed a night there then proceeded down BRP to Robbinsville, stayed in a cabin a few nights then returned to Roanoke, then home. I think it was 2,200mi or so in 5 days. Anti monkey butt is your friend!

Sirchopsalot, BrianK and clay shooter like this.
  15. BrianK

BrianK

Thanks!

Are there any soft extra gas tanks out there?

I wouldn’t mind stowing away a gallon just in case but I don’t want one of those rigid flat cubes.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I've only ever seen guys carry these:
    [​IMG]

Friend of friends had a dual-sport bike and rode with us a couple times. He always had 2.

17. BrianK

BrianK

I did a little internet digging. Apparently Desert Fox and Giant Loop are the ones I saw online a while ago:
    00AE6C5A-F6A8-4502-B0F7-6CE513077085.jpeg 305F3AD2-7A9C-48A5-92D0-B0F694DD0F1D.jpeg

Apparently there’s a 7l military surplus version that gets good reviews:
    7B5884C9-8846-4BB7-B3D4-169CA1A198CA.jpeg
    I’m trying to find that one but other than Alibaba or eBay with shipping from China, no luck so far.

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Those are a twin cylinder and get pretty good mileage normally...but in the hills, and pulling a trailer, no idea on your range...my guess is that you could be down to 40 MPG?

clay shooter, eatonpcat and BrianK like this.
  19. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I just installed a blow and go on a Suzuki Burgman 400. Guy had his wife drive it from Pittsburgh to me (+4 hours) couple weeks ago and it broke down just as she got within 20 miles of my shop. Local place fixed it, this AM they took a Greyhound to get here, she's driving the scoot back w/ the interlock, he's taking train. :loco: :crazy: Chivalry is dying. 1st, my wife would say he11 no, second I'd never ask this of her. :picard: I'd have rented a truck and rode w/ her to haul it home (well, 1st I wouldn't have gotten a dewwy..).

They said the drive belt broke and the one pulley was trashed, which probably caused the belt failure.

Moral of the story, be prepared for any situation.

clay shooter, eatonpcat and BrianK like this.
  20. BrianK

BrianK

The Burgmans are notorious for transmission failures, the 650 more so than the 400 from what I’ve read. In comparison the Silverwings are very reliable in that respect.

I put a new belt on it 500 miles ago, changed the oil and rear drive fluid, front forks were rebuilt, Dr. Pully 26gm sliders installed, changed the coolant and air filter and changed the brake fluid in the reservoirs.

The rear brake lever has been feeling gritty and harder to pull this summer.

This morning I took it to a local independent shop and they vacuum bled the brake lines and put new spark plugs in it. They did a thorough inspection on it and the only thing they found was some fluid leaking from the rear shocks. But they said it’s okay to ride it to Florida and back.

When I rode it home the rear brake lever was once again as smooth and responsive as the front brake lever.