In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's see those bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

It's been maybe 15 years since I rode.
    My first putt was a Yamaha Maxim. Ugly thing, but a good first ride.
    Out riding with the wife, on my brother's Yamaha, we passed a Shaddow (1993) in a neighborhood. I looked at it and kept moving. But there was a knock on my helmet and "hey, we gonna look at that?". A quick u-turn and a day later it was ours. I liked the shaft drive and the pepper that thing had.

in skinnier times, I sold it.

Now, looking for a new putt. I liked Honda b/c parts were less expensive, dealers and repair shops easy to find, not outlandishly expensive, shorter wait times, and the darn thing was reliable.
    Presently, I am leaning toward and Indian, Chief of some sort, not new.
    I can't get a take on repair costs and the like. I'm not against getting another ricer.

Needing a little guidance at this point.

SCA

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I had store credit at the shop to buy that helmet. I wanted that one so bad, boss could only find it overseas, so shipping made up for my discount. :(

Have you seen the Alpinestars offerings?
    Supertech S M10 Helmet

3. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

I was actually looking at the m8. It's just wishful thinking that I'll ever own a helmet over $600. I'll probably end up with a bell moto 9 mips or mx9 with mips.

Gotta save my money for medial and ambulance bills. Was in a head on accident on the trails 2 weeks ago Thursday. That kinda junked out my current helmet and i don't have any kinda spare at the moment. So only way I'll get back to riding again is with a new helmet. A $150 or less one would work best for now.

4. ole

ole

5. RCBS

RCBS

Getting a bath.

Screenshot_20230608-084856.png

6. ole

ole

My Honda Stateline has a 1300 cc engine. My two year old Yuasa 230 cold cranking amp lead acid battery has been struggling to get her fired on hot restarts. It does turn over eventually but it always resets the trip meter and clock goes to 1200. Cold no problems at all. A good riding buddy told me to screw lead acid lithium is the way to go.

So, Amazon delivers me a $200 Anti Gravity 360 cold cranking amp battery. My hot re start problems are over (for now) but I did add another ground cable when I put the new battery in. That might have helped also.

Any of you guys and gals have any experience with lithium ? IMG_3872.jpeg IMG_3871.jpeg My jump starter pack is lithium and it works good. Lithium battery’s are so much lighter and smaller.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  7. RCBS

RCBS

Running one in my Kawi. She's portly for a trail bike so I have done the little I can to reduce weight. Year 2 and everything still good. It's a Battery Tender branded battery. I run the glass mat style in my street bike. Replace about every 3 years even though it is constantly on a Maintainer.

Could your starter solenoid posssibly be affected by heat? Perhaps that is the 'clog' in the line? On four wheelers in the past, the solenoid would give me toruble in extreme cold. Perhaps heat can aslo cause an issue? Doing a load test on the battery while it's hot would be the only way I think to show it is the culprit for sure.

metalcuttr and ole like this.
  8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I had a Featherweight (by Western Power Sports) for 4 years in my Ducati.
    upload_2023-6-9_8-10-22.jpeg
    End of least year, last ride it started cranking over slow. Concerned, I didn't shut it off last 2-3 stops. Figured my 4 year battery beat the feet, I bought an AntiGravity for it. Started the exact same. :( So I replaced the starter (bike has over 40k). Now she cranks up great. So I could have went further with that battery. Bikes are in a detached garage so left out in PA cold. I'm comfortable putting them in whatever needs a battery at this point.

EDIT: I do have the Battery Tender that also charges lithium. But the Duc was not regularly plugged in during winters. Lead acid I do keep plugged into a multi-bank Tender.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'm not familiar with this model, but often times hard starts when hot are starter related.
    You might call your local dealer to see if Honda has a bulletin out on this issue...sometimes things like this will come up and they know about it, but do nothing more than alert the dealers of it so they don't waste a bunch of time chasing a known problem... they will sometimes take care of the issue even if out of warranty...but that kinda depends on how common of an issue it is, and how involved it is to correct.
    But it may have been a simple battery issue too.

metalcuttr, RCBS, ole and 1 other person like this.
  10. ole

ole

On some bike forums the consensus is 230 cold crank amps is the problem on hot re starts. But we all know forums are 100 % correct right?:faint:

It always started (eventually) but the resetting the trip was pizz ing me off. It’s my back up fuel gauge.

11. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Only with use in drag cars. A lot of guys have switched to the 16 volt lightweight stuff and gone away from the 12 volt lead acid anchor.
    My little jump pack packs a punch as well and that is lithium.

brenndatomu, metalcuttr and ole like this.
  12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

That CCA rating is a bit of a hang up w/ some. That number is what the battery can produce at 0 degrees F for 30 seconds. Most times I bet you're not starting it at that temp. Notice your Antigrav says cranking amps, not cold cranking amps. I'm sure that's not by accident. Deep cold is not a strong point of this technology.

With the lithium, key point is to turn the bike on and let the battery "warm up" a little before pressing that starter button. Which is a bit different than what you were used to with lead.

13. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

I have one in my ktm 300. Wouldn't start on the magic button with a regular lead acid battery. Read on the bike forums the 2012 and older had a steep gear ratio for the starter. A fix was to change out some of the internal gearing under the ignition cover.

My thought was if i could get a higher cranking amp battery that would fit maybe i could get away with just a battery and no gear change out.

It worked! She starts on the button now. Added benefit was the weight savings.

20220927_205829.jpg
    20220927_205702.jpg

14. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

New guy here. This is my 2017 Road Glide Ultra. Just installed 10" Yaffee bars and a Harley tall boy seat. IMG_20230606_041912295.jpg

15. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

Dug up these pics of my first Harley. 2004 Night Train. I did the Orange pearl paint and had it airbrushed. Sold it with 84,000 miles on it. Man i miss this bike. IMG_20161015_145443576.jpg IMG_20161015_145547595.jpg

16. ole

ole

17. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

Over 800 miles now. Changed the oil at a little over 500 and checked bolts. Had a leaky right fork seal that was warrantied.

Absolutely loving two wheels...

18. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

Welcome to the world of 2 wheels. I always say it doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride. I've got my tools on a big job now and am trying to ride every day that it's not pouring rain when i leave the house.

19. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

Thank you! Every other cyclist has waved that I've passed, and it makes me smile. I passed one today and he was patting his head, which I was fairly sure meant "police ahead" and sure enough, less than a mile up, they were waiting.

After my ride today, I am less than 10 miles from hitting the 1000 mile mark. I did my first oil and filter change at 500 miles.

It's been a blast, and I need a good, protective jacket, instead of an old surplus od fatigue.

20. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

Some of my friends and co workers have no idea what i mean when i tell them that riding a motorcycle puts you in the scenery. Riding in a car will never give me the same effects that i get on 2 wheels. Nothing beats the bike