In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let the demo begin.........WOOHOO!

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by papadave, Sep 13, 2017.

1. papadave

papadave

Smart dog. :whistle::thumbs: However, we.....my wife, has 2 cats. They seem to like me, so I guess it's ok. I think I may be slightly allergic to 'em though.
    Kept finding leaks in the wall where the patio door is going, so more caulk and foam has been used.
    Talked briefly about having the builder do a screened porch tied into the house on the other side of that door, so we're waiting on that quote. He called last evening and said he can stop by Saturday for the final....final walkthrough/window measure/talk/discussion. Good deal. Hope he's done the screen porch quote.:dex:Hopefully he can get the order in soon.
    House is still torn up, and I'm slowly getting rid of all the crap that's been torn out.
    Got up in the attic yesterday and rearranged some totes, and pulled out some other stuff from the previous owners. Probably go back up for a bit today as well.
    Things are still moving along, albeit slowly.
    Wife will be helping our eldest daughter move, for a week or so....maybe I can get some stuff done while she's gone. Furnace, etc. should hopefuly be done by the time she gets back. We have everything but 3 duct reducers.

savemoney, Eric VW, HDRock and 8 others like this.
  2. Stinny

Stinny

screened porch ... yup, ayuh, yes... gooder plan... :rootintootin:

savemoney, Eric VW, HDRock and 5 others like this.
  3. papadave

papadave

No bugs allowed.:thumbs:

Eric VW, HDRock, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  4. papadave

papadave

So the screened porch quote was quite a bit more than we hoped for. May do it ourselves in the spring.
    He came by last night again to measure up the window openings from the inside. Gave him the no-go on the porch, and discussed a couple things we want him to do.
    Need to cut the power to the attic blower and get that whole mess outta there.

savemoney, Eric VW, HDRock and 5 others like this.
  5. Stinny

Stinny

A spring build of the screened porch should get an extra boost in carpenter energy... knowing skeeters were gittin' fired up for the "feed"... :hair:... :dex:

savemoney, Eric VW, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  6. ironpony

ironpony

Unless he is like me, I will not put in 2 pieces if they total less than 12 foot. No seams in any span less than 12 foot, so depending on the lengths you can have a lot of waste but a lot less seams which looks betterer if that makes sense.

7. papadave

papadave

Yep, and I told him it wouldn't bother me at all to do 16 sq., but 22 seemed a little extreme.
    Have to order 2 sq at a time (special order), and if there's enough extra, we can side the small shed or something with it.
    He's still good to go somewhere around the end of the month.

savemoney, Eric VW, HDRock and 3 others like this.
  8. ironpony

ironpony

last ranch I did I had 3 sq waste, just fyi. Lots of 7 ft pieces, the neighbor thought I was crazy being it was a flip. I told him whether it is mine or a flip I only do one quality of work, now the materials won't be top of the line but they will be middle not lower.
    I also tell people I do not "flip" houses I restore them to their former glory. When I am done the only thing original is the foundation and framing.

savemoney, eatonpcat, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  9. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I apologize as I must've missed this post a while back, I got some reading to do....

bogieb, Eric VW, papadave and 2 others like this.
  10. papadave

papadave

He stopped by today with 2 sheets of paper....each had a patio door quote.....and asked which one we wanted so he could get the order in.
    Could have sworn we already made that decision at the supply house, but I'm glad he's being careful. Could take up to 4 weeks for the door to show up, so that works out well for his schedule.
    I'm going to have him replace the crawl vents and a couple other things while they're here as well.
    The house will be a bit chilly while they're here, but I know where the 30NC is, and I have coats...........:whistle:

savemoney, yooperdave, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  11. yooperdave

yooperdave

A temporary sheet of heavy plastic works wonders......cleaner and warmer!

12. papadave

papadave

Gave him a call a couple days ago about the order, as he said we needed to pay for materials up front and he hadn't let us know whether they'd been ordered or not.
    Yep, he went ahead and ordered w/o the money, so wife called the supply house and paid for that.
    Hoping that gets at least the windows here by the end of the month.

savemoney, 343amc, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  13. papadave

papadave

So, our guy has been busy residing the library in the next town over. His wife called today and said they'll be starting here either the Wednesday before Christmas, or the day after Christmas.
    Now that I have most of the duct insulated, I can start putting that up in the attic and getting some other stuff ready for the furnace install. All that wrapped ductwork sitting in the living room has been nice and all, but it's gotten a little crowded. :rofl: :lol:
    I'm sure my wife will appreciate the move.:dex:

14. HDRock

HDRock

I'm glad to see things are moving forward man:)

Eric VW and papadave like this.
  15. papadave

papadave

Thanks.....finally.
    We're headed downstate to see the fam for Christmas, so we may miss some of the festivities up here if they start right before Christmas. I imagine all they'll get to is pulling off the rest of the siding. We'll see.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  16. HDRock

HDRock

That's the way it goes living in a construction zone :D:picard:

savemoney, Eric VW and bogieb like this.
  17. Stinny

Stinny

Good news PD... :yes:

savemoney, HDRock, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  18. papadave

papadave

Evidently, when it rains it pours.
    Brother called today wanting to get started on the furnace install next Tues.
    Might be able to get most if not all of it done before we head downstate next Friday. WOOHOO.
    I'll bring the furnace and stuff in from the shop before that. Things are gonna' get a bit busy 'round heah pretty soon.

19. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Glad the project ain't stalled anymore. Looking forward to see it progress, buddy! If I was closer I'd lend a hand....

savemoney, HDRock and papadave like this.
  20. papadave

papadave

Same here. I've been under the weather for almost 3 weeks, and we did a furnace/duct install for a few days, went downstate for a couple days two different times, my brother's been in deer hunting mode, and...and.....and. Jeesh.
    As I say quite often, life is what happens while we're making other plans.
    I appreciate the thought on helping, but we got this. :thumbs: