In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let the demo begin.........WOOHOO!

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by papadave, Sep 13, 2017.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

I can share your misery :D every step...or crawl of the way! :rofl: :lol:

When you talked about an attic install in an earlier post, well...I thought :hair: !

I am so glad to be retired form that! :p

All kidding aside. when we would install ceiling registers, we always tried to position them no closer than 3' from an outside wall-window-door. That way helps with the flow of air from the outside of the house to the inside of the house (R/A grille positions) air flow pattern.

Good Luck!

Eric VW, papadave and bogieb like this.
  2. ironpony

ironpony

Go to the website thriveworkwear they make work pants with built in knee pads, best thing since sliced bread. They are about all I wear anymore.Probably would be great for wood cutting to. Hmmm. maybe I should start a thread recommending them on here, lots of guys could probably use them.

3. papadave

papadave

Some work wear like that would have been nice many moons ago.
    That's just about what I did. Roofing nails in the skull ain't funner.:picard:
    When I got up this morning.....when I TRIED to get up this morning, I ached all over. Knees, back, hands, shoulders..........texted brother to call off the day. I really want to get this done, but it's killin' me. Might go up tomorrow and hook up some flex to a couple boots and call it a day. The ones that are tough to get to.
    I'm still trying to figure out how far apart the rafters are in this section......at least 2', and they aren't all the same. Gotta' be careful to not put a knee through, but it's tough stretching that far.:rofl: :lol:

Eric VW, Chvymn99, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  4. Redneck

Redneck

papadave
    I'm still trying to figure out how far apart the rafters are in this section......at least 2', and they aren't all the same. Gotta' be careful to not put a knee through, but it's tough stretching that far.:rofl: :lol:
    How big is the opening of your attic. I cant crawl or stretch very far. But i have found if i take 4 2x6’s about 3 feet long and shuffle them between the rafters so im always on 2 of them at once. I dont have a problem. If you can get longer ones in your attic even better. Once i put them in the attic crawl space just leave them there for next time.

Eric VW, Chvymn99, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  5. papadave

papadave

Yep, there are some boards up there to kneel on. The insulation is now above the top of the rafter, so that would be tough to do.
    I ended up moving some of that outta the way, and I'll put it back when I get the hookups done.

6. papadave

papadave

We took off Tues., then went to the big city on Thurs., but they came back over Fri. and Saturday for about 3-4 hours each day.
    We're getting there. I seem to be missing an awful lot of coffee. :coffee: :binoculars:
    A couple more sections of duct, a bit of insulating and taping seams, and then we can set the furnace. The plenum is through the ceiling and attached to the first section of duct.
    One more day and we'll almost be done.......:picard::rofl: :lol: by July.:whistle:

Eric VW, milleo, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  7. papadave

papadave

We originally planned to put a heat through the wall right behind the plenum into our bedroom, but decided the heat would never make it to the other end of the room, so I crawled into that part of the attic yesterday and got that hooked up. Fun. Should heat the room gooder, so it was worth it. I'm trying to stay positive.:dancer:

8. papadave

papadave

The plan has changed about 3 times for tomorrow, but as of now brother is coming back and we'll be trying to get the rest of the work done (except the attic.....ok, maybe some of that too) so we can fire up the furnace.
    Soooo close............:)

Eric VW, milleo, 343amc and 1 other person like this.
  9. papadave

papadave

Plan changed again. I think they'll be here tomorrow. :whistle::headbang:
    Originally, we were going to use 3 horizontal elbows in the attic, then that changed to only one, now we're back to all 3, but less duct (won't be as much needed as was thought).
    I had already wrapped the elbows in insulation, then when the plan changed, I unwrapped one (held off on the 2nd one), thinking we could return the two 16". Now that we're using all 3 again, I wrapped it back up and hooked both of those together in a sort of S shape. Anyway, hoping to get the condensate drain and gas line done, then get in the attic for the final push so this thing can get fired up.

Eric VW, 343amc and bogieb like this.
  10. papadave

papadave

Well, it's finally done and running as of the 14th.
    Had a bit of an issue with the gas line in the crawl, but got it all sorted out. Brother came over for a couple hours and we got most of the gas line done, then he helped hook up the last pieces of duct in the attic.
    He left, and I sat down for a while. Got back up and hooked up the new stat.
    The next day, I finished one last piece of gas line, finished up the switch, and did the stat wire hookup in the furnace. Hooked up the last couple heats, got the rest of the insulation done, then fired it up.
    It runs on low fire most of the time and does a good job heating the house. Using more gas than I expected though.
    33 CCF in the last 8 days, which translates to just about an extra $30. No wood stove use until last night. It's just about on par with the cost of wood so far, but it hasn't been real cold.
    Anyway, started work on the trim in the living room. Making progress.

Eric VW, 343amc, milleo and 3 others like this.
  11. papadave

papadave

Been gone for a few minutes, but I thought I'd update for those still interested.
    All the trim (except one window in the wife's sewing room.......she's got stuff in the way......long story) is done. Since the weather has improved, more outside activities are happnin, so the inside is almost at a standstill. We were planning on me laying some of that "Lifeproof" vinyl plank stuff in the kitchen, but about a week ago, the puppy decided we also needed the living room redone, and ripped up quite a chunk of the vinyl in there (still haven't figured out he did that). We're waiting on a quote......:whistle:, and they'll just lay new vinyl in one continuous sheet through the kitchen and living room.
    I don't remember if I have a thread (and don't wanna' go looking right now), but the addition is now going to be a slab on footings and block (in case we decide to do an addition in the future). We're trying to find someone who does those aluminum screened porches instead......., but so far no luck. One of the downsides of living somewhat in the boonies.
    Anyway, hope everyone has been well and keepin' up with the hoarding.

basod, Chaz, yooperdave and 11 others like this.
  12. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Thanks for the update.

Chaz, papadave, yooperdave and 6 others like this.
  13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Been missin’ ya Paps.... gooder update, hope all else is well with you and yours!
    :handshake:

wildwest, Chaz, papadave and 3 others like this.
  14. papadave

papadave

All's well.....thanks fer aksin. Been busy as a bee lately. Doesn't look like it's going to let up much for a while either.
    Grandson gradumatated from MSU a few weeks ago, so we made the trip for that, plus several other trips downstate.
    I won't bother with the list, but it's ever-expanding........like my waistline.:picard::rofl: :lol:
    As far as the addition, it's back on as a screened porch again:thumbs::headbang:. Gas Co. showed up today to move a gas line away from the house (it was right where we wanted to put the slab). That being done, I'll call the mason and he can put us on the schedule. Come to think of it, I need to open the valve and relight the water heater.

Eric VW, Stinny, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  15. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Yep- that all makes you sound real busy..... hope you got the water heater relit so you could get a shower....:faint:
    :rofl: :lol:
    :handshake:

papadave likes this.
  16. papadave

papadave

Not a big deal.....I got a shower last year. :dex::rofl: :lol: Got caught in a rainstorm for a minute.:whistle:

Stinny, basod, Eric VW and 1 other person like this.
  17. papadave

papadave

Well, it's been a few minutes so I thought I'd update yet again re:slab.
    Guys (brothers) brought over the mini excavator this morning. They'll be back on Tues. to start digging the trenches. I REALLY want to go play with that toy....uh, machine. :whistle:
    So, Tues for trenches and maybe some forms, then pour the footing Thurs., and then the slab on Friday with what they call "stealth" fiberglass. Talked to inspector and he said no permit needed for what we have planned, but I'm going to take tons of pics to show it's being done well.
    IMG_20180721_104129_782[1].jpg

Stinny, 343amc, brenndatomu and 7 others like this.
  18. papadave

papadave

Highly doubt we'll be doing the screened room this year. We'll make use of the slab though.....picnic table and umbrella are waiting in the wings, as is the grill. :grizz:

Stinny, brenndatomu, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  19. Chaz

Chaz

20. papadave

papadave

Same here.:whistle: