In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Leaving door open?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Gavorosalini, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

We have had a Lopi Endeavor II stove now going into or 3rd season. I usually always leave the door closed during starting and while burning. Does anyone have any experience with just leaving the door open all the time regardless what process you are on?

I think we tried once or twice last year and it seemed to warm the room up faster with maybe only a slight bit more smell.

It goes without saying this practice would be frowned upon with hedge, mulberry or other popping woods. But all in all, what could be the risks? Loss of inlet air control comes to mind, but I'm having trouble finding more.

Any experience would help, thank you.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

This basically turns your stove into an open fireplace...which are well known for their inefficiency's...plus you risk over-firing your stove.
    The woods you mention are for sure prone to popping and spraying sparks all over, but any wood can do it...I guess I wouldn't be inclined to run my stove this way...and many stove model will specifically say not to do it, other than maybe for a bit upon start up.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I would highly recommend you do not do this. Some say they do it while burning down coals but even that is not good. That is not so much concern about fire but no matter how much draw you have to suck the junk up the chimney, you still get some inside the house. Do you really want to be breathing that?

I say use the stove as intended; keep that firebox door closed.

4. Geoff C

Geoff C

My jotul has a screen accessory that you can put on to protect from sparks and run it like a fireplace. I doubt it can damage the stove if they are telling you that you can run it like that. It does throw heat but it churns through wood.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Why would you want to leave it open anyway?

Are you having issues with burning, maybe check the MC of your wood?

6. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

We feel like it warms up the room quicker with door open. It's more of an immediate heat. The sounds are louder too, which is nice. Y'all have made me very particular about moisture content. It must be under 20% to come up. Usually its under 15% though. Thanks for asking.

7. bushpilot

bushpilot

We leave our door cracked for startup. This is recommended in the manual for our stove, and works well for us.

If we left it open during the burn, we would have a raging inferno ...

8. theburtman

theburtman

We do the same

9. Highbeam

Highbeam

Then there are folks that claim you can cool a runaway fire by flinging the door wide open! Opposite of overfire.

I enjoy sitting in front of the noncat with the door open. I don’t walk away from it though. Never with the cat stove, that cold room air can destroy the cat and smoke would spill like crazy into the room.

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And that's the shop stove...concrete floor n all, no?
    For myself I would just rather operate the stove as designed...heck, if leaving the door cracked on startup, I close it the moment that I think the fire will sustain itself.
    I suppose if I had an old school stove with no glass, I could see leaving the doors open for a view of the fire occasionally, with screen in place of course!
    Ha! We are having a small fire in the fireplace stove here today to drive off the "cold/damp" feel in the house, and as I sit here typing a log just fell against the glass! Another reason to make sure your hearth is right and a screen is used if running with doors open!
    Another thing I just thought of is that with the door open you are probably not burning as cleanly as with it closed and adjusted properly...yeah the fire can get all the air it wants, but that also "cools" the fire too...doesn't allow the secondary burn system to do its job (on a tube type stove...a cat stove would be no bueno for running with door open, as was mentioned)

11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

12. Highbeam

Highbeam

My stoves are north south loaders so no worries about logs rolling out. I close the door when I walk away not because of safety but because I know it’s wasteful and inefficient to burn with the door open unless I’m gaining enjoyment from the intense radiant heat, sounds, and smells of being right there.

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Good reading in that thread and that is why I posted the quote below:

14. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

This.......

Soon as she gets' going the door is shut.

15. Old Nate

Old Nate

Just shut the door.

16. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

If I feel a need to give the fire extra air, I slightly open the door for the ash tray for a few seconds. I stay there watching, then close it.

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Be careful, I've blown the lid off doin that.
    :startled:

:doh:

:whistle:

18. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Always. Usually when starting a new fire. :thumbs:

19. Old Nate

Old Nate

Why the ash door and not the side or loading door? I guess it depends on what stove you have. I always leave the side door open just slightly on my Jotul Oslo and shut once it’s going.

amateur cutter and MikeInMa like this.
  20. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Less chance of anything popping out.

My stove has a side door for loading, and a front facing door, just cuz. Then and ash try door, from the front.

I can add air from below the firebox. Seems safer to me.

amateur cutter likes this.