In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kubotas at play. Er, I mean work!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Warner, Jan 20, 2018.

1. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

The BX is a great tractor but if you want a back hoe I would go with at least a B. The back hoe on a BX is not real powerful but at the same time if you are digging and hit something hard, it will drag the tractor around like nothing. You are limited by the tractors weight , it is not a BX problem, it is a subcompact issue. The BX would be a better mower, lighter, tighter turning radius, and smaller.

The B is a heavier built tractor. It has a 3 range hydro, I believe it is the only tractor in its class that has a 3 range (Massey Ferguson may???). It also has independent brake so you can control the brake on the left or the right for tighter a tighter turning radius. It may be helpful if you get stuck. The B also has taller wider tires which equal more pulling power. The loader and back hoe are more powerful. One real big thing is the b has position control on the 3 point hitch.

I know I'm missing some stuff but that hits the high spots. Is your local dealer Messick?

2. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I forgot to mention the reach of the back hoe. It is annoying on a BX if you are cleaning a ditch, which is usually fast digging. The BH only has a 6' reach so it seems like you have to move the tractor all the time, which you can move yourself with the backhoe.

3. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

That looks really nice.

4. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Messick is close but i would prefer Hoober in Intercourse.

chipper1 and Well Seasoned like this.
  5. basod

basod

Took the backhoe off for the first time today.
    Maybe 3-5mins to take it off and then my first evolution of installing the 3pt took a bit of time.
    Need some cotter pins for the drag link to make life easier.
    Picked up a 5' J-Bar finish mower for $400.
    Guy had just rebuilt it and then inherited his dads place with a zero turn. Cut really well.
    IMG_1157.JPG

Stlshrk, RCBS, Slocum and 8 others like this.
  6. basod

basod

IMG_1158.JPG Mulch day.
    Need to get this spread before momma gets home- can't hurt those precious plants:D

Stlshrk, Hammy, ReelFaster and 11 others like this.
  7. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

If you are looking at smaller tractor from Kubota, here's the overall scheme I think:
    BX: Smaller, lighter, mid PTO for belly mower, deluxe features
    L: Heavier duty, value priced, lots of power but not as deluxe of features and no mid PTO
    Grand L: Heavier duty but with deluxe features
    M: Heavier yet. A real tractor. You would not want to finish mow a lawn with this
    MX: :makeitrain"drool worthy.

1/3 acre is not a whole lot to mow. A self propelled push mower sounds like it would be ok for that or maybe a zero turn. Belly mowers are pretty dang expensive. Lots of people find they can get an L type tractor for heavier work and a zero turn, for almost the same price as a Grand L or even a loaded BX.

Definitely look for used.

chipper1, Maina, basod and 2 others like this.
  8. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

I finally scraped together enough cash to convert my loader from pin-on to skid-steer quick attach. I had my local dealership do the fab since I can't cut or weld. The surge did a nice job! I can't wait for my pallet forks to arrive! I'll pick up a can of orange paint too.

Attached Files:

Stlshrk, Hammy, RCBS and 6 others like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

mike bayerl, was the switch about a thousand??

As to what tractor really depends on what you will do with it,,
    Example uncle has 10 acres and a little bx18 horsepower with snowblower rototiller and belly mower he absolutely loves it for his yard.
    I've used his and I have 22 Acres but access to about 60 and I have a 50 horsepower MX I don't believe I would go any smaller for what I use it for. Brush hogging Fields trails, snow blowing quarter mile driveway.

My friend boss, has 5 acres and a plumbing company.. He went 30 upgraded to 55 again to 75 with cab uses it as a loader and unloader of major delivery of freight!!

Stlshrk, Hammy, chipper1 and 3 others like this.
  10. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

The final bill came out just north of $1500, but most of that was because the labor or transport to and from the deal came out to about $600. If you can do a little cutting and welding yourself, that would save a lot of money. I'm super happy with the result. The quality of the work and the parts is really top notch. It will last a lifetime and then some.

Hammy, RCBS, chipper1 and 4 others like this.
  11. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Thanks for the input. I omitted the fact that our lot is on a 12% grade, narrow and long....... i aint push mowing or walk behinding it again. Did it for the firat two years. Right now i have a Husqy GT48XLS with a 48" deck. 42" snow blower, moldboard, disc, and cultivator.. its not enough but not by much.

12. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

If you are happy with your Husq for mowing, then I would definitely think about going for and L or Grand L. Definitely a great improvement for ground-engaging implements. That's exactly what I have stumbled into. For about 10 yrs, I had been running a JD 304 for mowing and hauling stuff around in the 17 cubic ft. cart. A couple years ago I was fortunate enough to find a used, well-maintained, low-ish hours Grand L 3710. I find this a great combination. The lawn tractor with it's cart is still an absolute workhorse for mowing and moving smaller stuff around.

Hammy, RCBS, chipper1 and 2 others like this.
  13. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Or... The BX80's are super awesome compact utility tractors. I'm very lucky that Messicks is about a 20 minute drive from me. GREAT parts and service.

Stlshrk, Hammy, chipper1 and 3 others like this.
  14. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

The teicky bit for me is storage.... i cant house a subcompact and a small garden tractor..... and i refuse to leave equipment out in the elements..... the husky gotta go if i go big orange.

Hammy, chipper1 and Well Seasoned like this.
  15. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

In that case. The BX80's if they are heavy duty enough for what you want to do and the B series are real nice. Once you have decided to get a tractor, you definitely need to go to a reputable dealer and have a very frank discussion about your needs and budget and then get into the seats of lots of models. Here's another nice video comparing B vs. BX.

Stlshrk, Hammy, chipper1 and 4 others like this.
  16. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Yeah, I think you'd starting to look at the B series. They are very nice. If you need smaller or less expensive then BX. If you really need a heavier capacity, then the Grand L's would be the ticket.

Stlshrk, Hammy, chipper1 and 2 others like this.
  17. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Bx is where i was looking. I went to the hoober ride and drive last month... great machines

chipper1 and Well Seasoned like this.
  18. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I'm quite happy with my B2650. I've done in a month what would've taken all summer so far. Plenty of power, there is a mid pto if you want to run a mower. Smaller frame for tighter areas, smaller acreage, but loader is beefed up.

Stlshrk, Hammy, chipper1 and 6 others like this.
  19. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Oops,
    I forgot the B which is a deluxe tractor sized between the BX and L. And likewise, the MX fits between the Grand L and the M.

20. chipper1

chipper1

I'd buy one, any one, you can always get another if you don't like the first one you get :).
    Did a bit of work at a buddies last week with mine. This also brings up a great point of do you ever plan on taking the machine off your property. I pull my L3800 around behind my old Chevy suburban with a 350 in it on an aluminum 20' trailer and it does a great job, any bigger and I would want a 3/4 to a one ton and an equipment trailer, smaller unit could be hauled on an HD single axle trailer if you know how to load a trailer well.
    I also helped the neighbor move around some large chunks of a chimney he tore off his house. While there the bucket provided one of his cats a nice place to clean itself.
    IMG_20180531_184309265.jpg IMG_20180530_194253978.jpg
    Here's a picture of one of the yards I mow, it's a bit steep and you don't want to make a mistake at the top as that is the steepest part. As was said earlier it's hard to tell how steep it is, the kids on it helps as does the angle of the steps, they are pretty steep. If you head straight up it on the mower(exmark Lazer z) you better have enough momentum so you can be slowly letting off as the front end starts to lift towards the top:thumbs:, the far side of the top is the only place you can drive out on the mower without dragging the deck unless you have a full out wheely going over the crest lol.
    IMG_20180601_160735335.jpg IMG_20180601_160756569.jpg IMG_20180601_160800213.jpg

Stlshrk, Hammy, basod and 5 others like this.