In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kubotas at play. Er, I mean work!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Warner, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Warner

Warner

Nice set up. I especially like the grapple holding the log at waist height. We had some small scale logging done a few years back the logger used a bobcat with a grapple for skidding and holding the logs to cut. Thought it was pretty slick. I’m jealous.

2. Warner

Warner

The bota sat idle again this weekend still too much mud.
    I have been contimplating scabbing something together like a “log hog” 59AD623A-8DF9-42CA-BD28-F26199F29926.png or getting a log arch for the wheeler. I think I could build something like this on the cheap.

3. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

When I first got my log loader I had to haul some trees away and cut them into firewood lengths, and realized I was cutting them up about 4 times faster because I had the trees in the optimum spot. No bending over, no moving wood out of the way, no dulling my saw, no pinched saw, etc... Then of course there is the whole thing regarding getting the wood off the ground in skidding so that it does not get dirty either.

It is kind of sad. They bill this as a firewooders tool, and would work well in that capacity, but it really is over-priced as one. :-(

DSCN4253.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  4. Warner

Warner

The log trailer would be good but I dont have wide enough trails or that many trees on my property. It it had lights and was registered it would be useful driving around after the tree guys clean up the power lines.

5. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

No lights or brakes on mine, but they are on option.

I don't need any lights to be legal because I am a farm and thus forest products are considered a farm commodity so I can legally operate on the road with it. I have taken it on a few trips when people have wanted really nice logs, and it was nice to deliver them right to their doorstep.

It is a little small for my bulldozer (when I had it)
    It is sized just right for my Kubota
    And is sized just about right behind my Ford Explorer (which gets the most time pulling it)

DSCN4649.JPG

6. Flamestead

Flamestead

A nice, sunny day to be up in the woods. Kubota in both pics, both taken from the same spot at different times today - it saves me quite a few steps. Now if it would just come when I whistle!

DBB95266-E530-4F6E-96A8-47EEC111699D.jpeg 6B2ABFA4-8A7E-4DE8-BC22-19559220B2D0.jpeg

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

8. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

How much snow did you guys get. In Lisbon they only got 4 inches, yet here we got 18". North Haverill got 10 inches. The pictures did not show much???

chipper1 and Well Seasoned like this.
  9. Flamestead

Flamestead

We had 13” but it has really settled a lot. I started the day with snowshoes but eventually set them aside because I could get around pretty good without them. We are around 700 ft above sea level. Higher elevations got more than us - I’ve heard a couple of reports of 30” south of us in the mountains (while Brattleboro got only 10”).

chipper1, Woodslave, Maina and 2 others like this.
  10. fuelrod

fuelrod

That last storm was some miserable plowing. Ripped both (brand new) shoe's & the mounts right off the plow. More coming this Tuesday.

11. Flamestead

Flamestead

My driveway is a town road. They had their plow set a little low. I tore some lawn with turning the front tires too hard when the tractor was wanting to go straight ahead.
    image.jpg

12. Woodslave

Woodslave

Question for all the Kubota guys. Seems every time I have my Farmi winch on my top link wants to back itself out as I'm moving. I'll crank the top link so my winch sits back a little towards the tractor, then after running down back and forth a few times my winch is tilted back the other way and if I had not seen this the threads might have backed out completely. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do. My New Holland tractor had a clasp that would not allow the top link to turn without lifting the clasp. Thanks ahead of time as I know there are a lot of smart hoarders here.

13. Flamestead

Flamestead

Mine has a locknut that can be tightened back against the turnbuckle. I don’t use it often because it largely stays in place.

chipper1, Maina and Well Seasoned like this.
  14. Flamestead

Flamestead

65CDA61C-59DF-4AF6-9124-688ED5425654.jpeg
    Maybe need some thicker grease and dust on your threads?

15. Will C

Will C

If your top link has the loop that sticks out from it, but a wrench handle through it to hold the link from rotating and tighten the lock nut. Should hold your winch in place.

16. Woodslave

Woodslave

Flamestead, Will C, thanks my top link doesn't have a nut on it. I'll have to check with my Kubota dealer tomorrow when I'm out that way

chipper1, Flamestead, Maina and 2 others like this.
  17. Will C

Will C

Wow-let us know what you find out from the dealer.

chipper1 and Well Seasoned like this.
  18. fuelrod

fuelrod

Wash it with some gasoline and don't grease it, well at least until it starts to rust, then just some WD-40.:D

19. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

This morning's cleanup.

20180314_073059.jpg

20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Just got done opening drive.. Again only 12 inches this time.. No pics girls busy cleaning decks.