In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kubotas at play. Er, I mean work!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Warner, Jan 20, 2018.

1. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

DSCN4296.JPG
    Just about every light bulb in my barn has been taken out as well, so don't feel bad! :)

I actually unbolted the ROPS on my Kubota and threw it who knows where???

I did like having the ROPS on my bulldozer, mostly because of the limb-lifters that swept branches out of my face, but it would not go in the barn with it on, so off it came. When the guy came to pick it up, he wanted the ROPS on so we reinstalled it, and on that I do not blame him.

Dozer With ROPs and Limb Lifters

2. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I got to play with my Kubota a little bit today. This is the first time I have had to use it to push snow in my driveway because I had the bulldozer. It did pretty well, not nearly as fast as it has only a 5 foot blade, and not reverser so it it kind of on the slow side, but it did pretty good considering.

That "considering" was the ice underneath. Even with 4 wheel drive and a big round bale on the back for counterweight, it was spinning a lot. This afternoon I put my ice chains on it so it should do a little better pushing snow.

3. Warner

Warner

Same here can’t get in the shop with the bar up. Or the backhoe boom. There are a few scars on the door jam. :whistle:

chipper1 and thewoodlands like this.
  4. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Bump so this thread don't die!

No one using there bota's? I posted this in my bota thread, but hey, it's deserves a spot here.

Pulling poplar up a hill from the woods and trail trimming so i stop scraping the canopy.

20180226_133937.jpg 20180226_143127.jpg

5. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I work mine about everyday, but don't always have time to stop and take photos. Today I moved two round bales off the top of the hill to feed my sheep, then cleaned out the barn of manure.

Incidentally, I was up your way on Saturday Well Seasoned! We went to Gorham, NH for a few hours. Just a quick trip there and back to pick up the kids who were staying at their Grandparents House in New Hampshire.

chipper1 and Well Seasoned like this.
  6. Well Seasoned

Nice..... the weather has been decent. Muddy, but decent! Lemme know if your in the area sometime.

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Got mine out for a short job today. A few years back the electric company pulled down a line along one side of our property. They left 3 poles standing and told me they are mine. One of my wife's clothes line poles broke off so I cut down one of the big ones and drug it up to the house. Will cut it off and plant it sometime this spring. Not looking forward to that job as it means digging a hole. For just one hole, I'll do it by hand but will have to borrow a post hole digger as I no longer have one.

8. Well Seasoned

Your neighbor have a post hole digger?

9. Warner

Warner

I have to admit the bota has been a garage Queen. The snow has mostly melted and there is plenty of wet ground.
    Mud in February in NH, Boo!

10. Backwoods Savage

I'm sure he does.

Well Seasoned, chipper1 and eatonpcat like this.
  11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Warner in same situation, kubota sitting in barn:(, snowblower is on and mud season is here. I know better than to remove in February.. More ruts I make more I have to fix:headbang:

12. Backwoods Savage

Worry not, you have time to fix them. :rofl: :lol:

It's drying up quite nicely around here. But skidding logs does tend to find some mud.

13. fuelrod

fuelrod

Just turned 1000 hrs. this winter. DSCN9355.JPG DSCN8478.JPG DSCN7441.JPG

14. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Nice tractor fuelrod. Nice size and attachments!

15. fuelrod

fuelrod

I built a lot of them, that's the motive behind me saying to you about your feller buncher project, that there are no crazy ideas :thumbs: I'm prone to having them myself, pretty regularly.:D

16. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

The Feller-Buncher is almost done. I had a few set-backs, but moved ahead in another direction, and think I have something that will work. Ultimately I am not convinced this is my final design, it uses a chainsaw as a sever-from-the-stump saw, and it is a little vulnerable to say the least. A shear would be problematic to build and expensive with having to add another hydraulic circuit, then the steel to build the shear, and finally the big cylinder to shear through the tree.

A Hot saw would be less expensive, and easier to do, and probably will be my final answer. But all that depends on one thing...how much will I really use this thing? If a lot, I will spend a little money on it. Right now I am at $45.39.

C-Channel: $35
    Hyd Fittings: $10.39

The only thing left to do now is fabricate a throttle control for the chainsaw so that I can control it from my log trailer levers.

17. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

fuelrod : Is that an old Fisher V-Plow?

I built quite a few of them, but honestly had a little help. I used to be a welder for Douglas Dynamics out of Rockland, ME back quite a few years ago so I built a lot of Fisher, Western and Blizzard snow plows since they are all just brand names made by the same company.

If you dig around on YouTube you might find an old episode of "How Its Made". They came through the plant and did a show on building the V-plow snowplow. You might find it interesting how the main part of your plow was made, assuming it is an old Fisher.

Well Seasoned and chipper1 like this.
  18. fuelrod

fuelrod

Yes LT, it's a Fisher "EZ-vee" 9'6" that I bought from the next town over a few years ago, pretty cheap @ $650. I needed to make the frame mount for the tractor.

Well Seasoned, chipper1 and eatonpcat like this.
  19. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

10% of the total pole length +2’ = total hole depth :D:whistle:

20. Backwoods Savage

Glad this is on yellow sand!