In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kitchen cutting boards

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by DNH, Nov 16, 2021.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I guess I should have been more exact....
    disposal in the compost bin. [/QUOTE] I think I have my wife trained after 15 years. Just took a couple incidents before she believed me![/QUOTE]
    Yeah, mom took a few lessons before she learned. One time on Thanksgiving.

I pretty sure there were 5 times she had to call the drain guy. $125 just to come out.

One time she took a box of leftover Chinese white rice out of the fridge (walked right past trash can) and dumped it down the disposal...instant clog.
    I think they had to cut the pipe to clear that one.
    Another time she cut the leaves off of fresh radishes and sent it.

2. mat60

mat60

Some times people just dont think the way we do. I dont have a disposal but I was after Barbara it please do not put any food down the sink.:).. It did clog it up at times. I tend to wipe the dishes out before I wash them. I do waist some paper towels doing it.

3. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Our pre-rinse for the dishwasher is four legged and very enthusiastic about the job.

When we first starting sailing, I was pretty careful about what went down the sink except for one time. Why I did it, I will never know but I let grease go down the sink. It hit the cold water in the drain and instant plug. The sink did not have a p-trap thankfully. It was a piece of plastic tubing in a straight line down to the drain in the hull of the boat. Still took a bit of work to unplug it with out getting water in the boat.

metalcuttr, mat60, MikeInMa and 3 others like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I've never lived anywhere without a garbage disposal before here, lots of lessons and still trying to train WWW so I don't have a big mess..... Myself sometimes too for instance I was peeling some carrots the other night and habitually did over the sink (just to have to clean the peels out) :loco: :crazy:

justdraftn I'd really dig a cutting board with a lip that lays on the sink like you did, sorry about your purple heart wood. That board is so beautiful I'd "repair" it and hang it on wall!

metalcuttr, mat60, justdraftn and 2 others like this.
  5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

justdraftn
    I've heard you need to [use an alcohol or acetone to] "degrease" woods that have a lot of oils in them before gluing.

6. justdraftn

justdraftn

Have not heard of that. ...but this is the first time I have
    experience w/something like this. No matter. My time w/purple heart
    is over. It is a beautiful wood but HARD..in so many ways to work with.
    Very hard on the tools to work it and is a beach to sand.

7. don2222

don2222

metalcuttr likes this.
  8. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    I think I have my wife trained after 15 years. Just took a couple incidents before she believed me![/QUOTE]
    Yeah, mom took a few lessons before she learned. One time on Thanksgiving.

I pretty sure there were 5 times she had to call the drain guy. $125 just to come out.

One time she took a box of leftover Chinese white rice out of the fridge (walked right past trash can) and dumped it down the disposal...instant clog.
    I think they had to cut the pipe to clear that one.
    Another time she cut the leaves off of fresh radishes and sent it.[/QUOTE]
    I am still not happy about an incident 3 years ago involving Mama Bear, a disposal unit and bags of freezer burned shredded zucchini. :mad:She probably has a little PTSD after that project was done and seeing/listening to me repairing it. Very involved plumbing repair:headbang:.

9. DNH

DNH

Here is what we are starting with, will do similar for storage box we are making. CC256A88-1F80-4E52-AA6E-F91140AB1669.jpeg

10. JackHammer

JackHammer

I am not sure about these drain clogs. I keep 50 pounds of lye in the basement for stuff like that.

As far as the cutting boards, I had a cutting board from target back in 2008 or so with grippy feet and some sort of exotic wood. It was great and only 17 or so bucks. Probably 14x18ish. We lost it in a move and now we have 6 cutting boards and none of them are quite as good.

Edit: I found it! Last time I looked it wasn't there. I had one of these for 10 years and it was great. 13"x18" Acacia Wood Nonslip Serving and Cutting Board - Made By Design™

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  11. bogieb

bogieb

I just learned that a couple of weeks ago on Ron Hazelton's Housecalls show that is run on the local TV station during the wee hours on weekends. He suggested Naptha. I've been looking for some to clean extremely dirty wood trim and doors without stripping the finish, but actually finding that is a whole nother story - at least around here. Apparently if I travel to Leominster, I could get some, but the local BBS's and hardware stores don't carry it. And free delivery to local stores will take to the beginning of the year.

mat60, metalcuttr and TurboDiesel like this.
  12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Paint thinner and mineral spirits might be a suitable replacement

bogieb, mat60 and metalcuttr like this.
  13. DNH

DNH

Made some good progress on the box he wanted. Thought about making the bottom dovetailed on all four sides but since I’ve not done dovetail joints in over 20 years didn’t feel like trying it this time!

Dry fit looks pretty good, could have had some of my joints a little tighter.
    FF9858AD-F46F-40A7-9B13-87F073DEE0FB.jpeg 88F4548D-4469-47A3-9338-1BC7C10B735C.jpeg

14. mat60

mat60

I think they are very good. Can't say I have ever done them by hand. Nice going.

metalcuttr likes this.
  15. DNH

DNH

Didn’t do them by hand, I have my grandfathers old Sears dove tail jig and router!

metalcuttr and mat60 like this.
  16. mat60

mat60

It's not easy just setting up the jig. Mine is set up for draws for work. The box your building will be great finished. Like the walnut and maple combo.

metalcuttr and eatonpcat like this.
  17. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Good memory! I bough this one from Shawn several years ago. I ended up giving it as a gift.

Attached Files:

18. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Last seen 2018. What happened? He turned out some awesome projects.

metalcuttr, mat60 and eatonpcat like this.
  19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

No idea...just poof and gone... :confused:

20. DNH

DNH

Absolutely beautiful work!