In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Just start selling firewood on the side.

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by muzzy17is, Jan 13, 2019.

1. muzzy17is

muzzy17is

I just started selling firewood on the side late last year and I am hooked. I have a fireplace and burn wood as well so I built me a splitter and figured I'd give er' a go. I sell strictly oak wood right now but am going to get into hickory and mixed batches for fire pits as well. Just wondering what all tools you guys use as far as canthooks and what not. Luckily since starting my little venture I have been able to accumulate some low cost equipment to include a Stihl MS250, an Echo cs590, a 5 x 10 trailer, a 6 x 12 dump trailer and assortment of chains and straps. My plan is to stock pile throughout the spring before it starts getting real hot and let it dry all summer. I'm also going to look for down trees and offer a modest fee for removal if there is usable firewood in them. I know it's Florida and the firewood usage is slim but I think for some side money I'll do allright. Any tips on how to get rolling on the right foot would be appreciated.

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Any campgrounds you can peddle to?
    Lots of people set up self serve roadside outlets around here.

4. muzzy17is

muzzy17is

I have a couple of campgrounds near me that I'm gonna check into. I'm not gonna go to commercial though cause I don't want all the extra red tape involved.

5. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Yes..............

All I can say is selling firewood will cost you lots of dollars, but you might end up with some cool stuff.:whistle:

6. chris

chris

Big year for me 2017 sold 3/4 of a cord.

7. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Maybe you should check into selling apples too. I hear you can make a small fortune........................................If you start with a large fortune.:zip::picard:

8. muzzy17is

muzzy17is

Down here in Flar Duh it would’ve been oranges but the durned greening disease broke all the orange tycoons...as long as we got a few trees around I should be able to buy a chili dog once in a while...

9. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

muzzy17is Honestly if I were you, I'm not sure I'd start with Oak. Takes a long time to dry down & burn well. 2-3 years here. If you intend to sell campfire wood, any species that dries faster in your area is better. Less seasoning time = earlier income & better repeat business. Firewooding is a great hobby/sport, but I wouldn't want to try & make a living at it, nice side money & great exercise though. You already have enough equipment to get started. See how it goes & expand from there. GOOD LUCK!

10. Midwinter

Midwinter

How does citrus tree wood burn? Is there any to be scrounged?

11. chris

chris

Citrus tree wood- specialty along with nut woods- smoking/ grilling- big bucks . You though those little bundels every where were pricy............

12. muzzy17is

muzzy17is

I do have acces to lots of citrus wood. May give it a try this spring. Lots of old dead groves around me

13. jetjr

jetjr

I have a friend that lives near a campground. He makes a killing selling small stacks to campers.

14. muzzy17is

muzzy17is

FE2A9373-FEE4-4585-B28D-3951EE469266.jpeg
    Rode by a place that struck my mind...About 50 acres of dead orange trees...

15. Midwinter

Midwinter

Stop by, make him an offer to clean things up! Turn it into designer firewood.

16. muzzy17is

muzzy17is

That’s sort of what I’ve got in mind.

17. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I think you might be on to something there! Let us know how it goes.

18. Woodshax

Woodshax

We sell strictly at State Parks with retail bags and bundles....It is better to strike a deal with the parks and sell on site......last year we did $150K in the DFW area

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Good luck. Like you, neighbor, we burn some, sell some and give some to a couple families that have medical problems. We've sold about 7 cords so far this year. As far as equipment, you have the basic stuff. We do have a 2 1/2' and 4' cant hook, I made a pry/chopping bar. Tractor with FEL to load/move logs. Log tongs to pick up big logs. IMG_20180911_112753743.jpg IMG_20181001_105758683.jpg IMG_20181001_110008665_HDR.jpg
    As far as wood in our area, tulip poplar and soft maple dry faster than oak, but cut what you can get, I would probably leave sweet gum and sycamore alone though...

20. lknchoppers

lknchoppers

Don't be afraid of oak, split it in the spring, set it in the hot Florida sun and sell it in the Fall it will burn pretty good, if that is what people want sell it to them.