In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Just paid my electric bill

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by blacktail, Dec 4, 2019.

1. blacktail

blacktail

It's nice to see some other people with small bills.

2. BigPapi

BigPapi

Wow. I just paid ours: $248 - usage down 12% from last year, as our oldest left for college.

3. IS obsessed

IS obsessed

The electric company paid me $73.06 for November. And that puts us at $435.31 income for the year. Oil furnace uses 50-60 gallons a year. Everything else is wood heat. Not bad for an 1850s farm house.

4. Marshel54

Marshel54

My house is a 1910s vintage farm house, totally electric and not well insulated. My electric bill runs $120 to $140 year round. It has been hitting $190 lately. We have moved my mother in and she would freeze to death in hell. She keeps her room at 80* and the rest of the house gets what ever the stove puts out.
    Mom always asks what she owes for the addition electric? I tell a white lie. "Nothing mom it hasn't changed."
    We are on Co-Op.

LongShot, Thor, papadave and 6 others like this.
  5. ironpony

ironpony

about $70 for the house and $40 for my shop which is separate.

6. SD Steve

SD Steve

This is our first year since we moved to South Dakota that we have a wood stove and High Efficiency propane furnace. Installed both of them myself. So far our winter Bill's have been no more than $225. Even after catching my kids using a space heater in their rooms. We used to have all electric base board heat. Our bills used to be $400 in November, and $500-$600 in December, January and February. March would be similar to November again.

7. WiscWoody

WiscWoody

Wow electric bills for a month for some are what I pay in a year. A friend of mine in Dallas gets hit with $400-$500 monthly electric bills often for their summer AC use and winter electric heat, I couldn’t imagine it. I recently talked to someone from Barron Wisconsin and they said they pay $36 a month just for the municipal electric utilities service charge- more than my average electric bill altogether. And a niece of mine that lives by Portland Oregon says they pay over $100 a month for a long run of underground wire that’s laid down their driveway plus a service fee to be hooked up which I can’t understand since up here you might have to pay to have extra to bury the wire if your over the power companies length that they will provide but once it’s done it’s considered yours and there’s no fees for the wire after then. I told her that I’d consider a solar system with a battery and gen set if they have to pay that much for their electrical service.

8. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Was that underground wire something that the homeowner should have paid for but someone footed the bill for the initial install and this are entitled to a rental fee for the line? Or did they finance the project and are making long term payments? There are companies out there now that will install a boiler in a house and you rent it from them with a monthly payment. I couldn’t fathom renting something that is an appliance in my house and not actually owning it. I suppose people don’t have the capital to make the purchase or are in fear of the appliance failing so they go with the option to rent? Blows my mind...

9. SD Steve

SD Steve

Here I am replying to my own post, but I should clarify that our electric bill also has trash ,sewer, water state and city taxes, so actual electrical costs for last month was $119. Oh and I still have to pay for propane, luckily my 500 gallon tank is still at 40% as of yesterday. Gonna try to make it until February before we get a refill

10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

We’ve been using the split system to heat our house. Electric bill runs about $125 a month in the coldest months, not too bad. We do use the woodstove on the weekends.

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  11. viking59

viking59

Ours were around $110 (2500 sq ft) using 80000 BTU insert. The workshop / pomp house was about $40ish (about 3500 sq ft). We only keep the workshop office heated.

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  12. moresnow

moresnow

Just opened our last bill. $87.92. Not complaining.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  13. WiscWoody

WiscWoody

I’m not sure, like I said they live in Oregon and I rarely talk to them. It was that way when they bought the hobby farm and the driveway is long so the wire is long too but I had a place up here that had a 800’ driveway and wire and I owned the wire as far as I knew.... I never paid a monthly fee on it.

14. papadave

papadave

Last electric bill was $61.62. Electric stove/oven and dryer.
    Our use was 295 KWH, down from 361 last year. Next one should be higher since it's now getting dark sooner. That's having the shop furnace (blower uses very little power), lights, and equipment running occasionally as well.
    Blower on the 30 whenever we have a fire too.

Chazsbetterhalf and blacktail like this.
  15. billb3

billb3

:eek:

Chazsbetterhalf and papadave like this.
  16. blacktail

blacktail

I just got my next PUD bill. Who can pay these outrageous bills?! The oil radiator has been left on a lot in my bedroom. 20200106_182502.jpg

Chazsbetterhalf and billb3 like this.
  17. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

My bill jumped $75 when I finally filled the hot tub and turned it on.

18. BCB

BCB

Do you not own a refrigerator or other kitchen appliances. Are you living by candle light? lol. That is amazing. A few years ago I did the #s on heating an oil filled radiator in a bedroom and calculated that that cost about $1/day by itself.

19. Meche_03

Meche_03

I'd have to check with the wife but I recall winter months being around $60 to $90 per month. That includes my water because its all pumped from my well and heated by electric water heater.

Electric should be less now because we are not renting the security light on the utility pole. It was over $12 per month and it's an led version... No price difference compared to the old style.

70s one story house on a basement. We have propane for cooking and backup heat which cost us $63 last year. Not bad for a family of 5 with 3 kids, 2 are teenagers.

Our old house in town was all electric including heat. Winter bills would get up to almost $300 during real cold months. Id put plastic on the windows and unused doors to insulate and stop drafts. We kept the house at 65f and wore extra cloths.

Wood heat at the farm house and wife keeps house set at 71f. The furnace can heat so well we have to open the windows a bit.

20. blacktail

blacktail

Fridge, electric water heater in the garage, chest freezer in the garage, stove/range, washer & dryer...all electric. It pays to be single.

jmb6420, Chazsbetterhalf and BCB like this.