In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Jig for trimming firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by dylskee, Oct 13, 2013.

1. dylskee

dylskee

Hey guys,

Had another Craigslist azz-hole screw me again on a delivery of firewood. He had a customer of his that ordered 7 cords of firewood every year @ 22" long, he only wanted 2 cords this year. When I placed my order he asked me if I could take the long wood, I replied and told him I couldn't, I needed 18" MAX. Well he delivered me two cords and one full cord is 20"-23" long, hmmmm, big surprise. Got screwed by another CL duck head! Now I have to trim all this wood so I can burn it, can anyone give me a good idea on a jig for trimming this stuff? I've got another cord and a half from my old pile that I could trim as well so a nice fixture would really help right now....... Long Wood.jpg

mat60 likes this.
  2. dylskee

dylskee

Is it too much to ask to have a reliable and HONEST wood guy nowadays?!?!??! I used one guy for more than 10 years and NEVER had a problem, I bought a new (SMALLER) stove and the last couple years I've been screwed more than Paris Hilton!! I'm really leaning towards selling this stove and going pellets.......

mat60 likes this.
  3. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Uh "somewhere " I saw someone who made a box to trim their wood. He would stack it full of wood and trim a bunch all at once. Something like this

[​IMG]

Timberdog, mat60 and dylskee like this.
  4. HDRock

HDRock

I have herd of people filling a milk crate , setting it on It's side n cutting the ends off
    A small H frame jig is all U need if U R not cutting poles
    Here is some ideas for ya ,Thanks to the people contributing the pics etc., you know who you are :thumbs:
    First one is my version set up for multi tasks

IMG_20130930_161217.jpg

IMG_20130930_161721.jpg

100_0358.jpg

100_0359.jpg

sawbuck4.jpg

Picture 022.jpg

Last but not least

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  5. HDRock

HDRock

One more, may be perfect for you
    photo (3).JPG

mat60, brenndatomu, WeldrDave and 3 others like this.
  6. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

If the splits are small enough in diameter, you can use a miter saw. Need the larger diameter blade (10" or so) and it won't work for all of your splits, but with a jig, it's a pretty quick way to get the job done.

7. dylskee

dylskee

Thanks guys! Sorry for rant, I had a bad day yesterday. I was going to clean up my posts but I'm not showing an edit option.

mat60 and brenndatomu like this.
  8. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I like the milk crate idea, but you could just take it to the chop saw like my mom would.

brenndatomu likes this.
  9. HDRock

HDRock

The rant , not an issue , we understand , the guy gave you what, he knew ,you did not want, I would be pizzed to

10. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Every right to rant, looks like it came out pretty clean and it was a good read. Teaches us all what to watch out for is buying and what not to do if selling. I swear, if I get to the point of selling, I'm going to be an amazing seller because I am learning what all to not do!

11. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Your anger is definitely understandable. I'd call him back and ask for a good$75 discount or he can pick up the load you told him you didnt want.

Maina, metalcuttr, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  12. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

No reason you should get stuck with having to trim what you didn't order. I would call and ask for the proper size to be delivered, or a refund of some of the cost because of the inconvenience.

13. dylskee

dylskee

I did call him and complain, he sent me a bank check for a full refund. I moved the two cords back to the driveway, he told me to keep the wood for my troubles. So I have moved this wood 3 times and now I have to cut about a cord and a half. I would love to find an honest person to deal with just ONCE! That's what they don't get, treat me right and give me what I paid for and I'll be a loyal customer for life...... :confused:

14. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

Sounds like you made out ok on that one what with getting the refund and keeping the wood. I understand what you mean though why on earth would he send you wood that he knows you dont want and cant use. Thats one of the things that bugs me about buying wood you cant find someone that is 1 honest and 2 knows what theyre doing. I love the fresh cut seasoned wood that everyone delivers.

metalcuttr, mat60 and brenndatomu like this.
  15. dylskee

dylskee

Yes I did make out okay but believe me, I'd rather pay for the proper length so I can just stack it and burn it. I work 13 hours days and have enough projects going on so...... The wood I got from him is pretty good, lots of maple birch and hickory, very little oak. I have another 3 cord and most of that oak is still over 25% on the MM. I'm hoping to find a reliable wood source, I won't rest until I do. :D

16. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

I hear you on that I work long days too and it looks like they are going to be getting longer here soon. I have a stack of wood that needs to be split and between work and the rain I dont know when it will get split. Im starting to think that it would be easier to just buy it if only I could find a good dealer.

brenndatomu and dylskee like this.
  17. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Finding a reputable wood dealer is no easy feat. If you find one with truly seasoned wood, it will cost you plenty. I found a dealer by word of mouth this year. Delivered full cord loads and all 16"-18" splits. And the splits were not too thick. That was a problem with the last supplier. Had to re-split a lot of the wood.

I would ask around, and try to find a dealer that someone else has had a positive experience with. CL is not always the best place to find a wood dealer.

mat60, brenndatomu and dylskee like this.
  18. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Hmmm, that one looks familiar.... :whistle:

19. dylskee

dylskee

Well, got my jig built today and got some wood trimmed. It works pretty well, thanks for all the ideas and the help! :thumbs:
    I built it 4'x14"x16" as you can see, the wood hangs out quite a bit......

IMG_2515.JPG IMG_2524.JPG IMG_2525.JPG IMG_2526.JPG

Maina, mat60, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  20. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

mat60 and dylskee like this.