In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I've got some splitting to do

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by 343amc, May 21, 2014.

  1. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I had the last two white spruce that were on the side of my drive taken down. One had a nasty lean and was taking aim on my pole barn and the other had my garage in its sights. Both were above my comfort level for taking down so I had a pro do the work. I hauled them behind the pole barn where the splitting takes place.

    I probably wouldn't haul a load of spruce home, but when it's sitting that close to the wood stacks I figured why not. Hope I don't have a chimney fire when it gets burned a couple years down the road. :)
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    That will burn just fine with no worries in a couple years.
     
    Oliver1655 likes this.
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    No chimney fires as long as it is split well and stacked outside for a year or more. Just like any other wood. Needs some time to dry. I am stacking some spruce right now that I am splitting and will use it for shoulder season wood next spring.
     
  4. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I've lost count, but I think this was number 11 and 12 that I've taken down in the past 13 years. You could hardly see the house when I bought the place.

    Lots of spruce has been burned here over the years. No chimney fires.
     
  5. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    It's all BTUs.
    Good shoulder season wood.
    I use it a lot for fire pit wood too
     
  6. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    343, no worries. Peace of mind is easy when you do the right thing, in this case prepare your wood just like you have done in the past.
    Nice looking pile of rounds you have there! How much do you think you have from the two trees?
     
    papadave likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Get it split & stacked, it should season just fine. We burn some White Pine in the shoulder season, we like it seasoned close to two years.
     
  8. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Nothing wrong with that.Still have almost 1/2 pickup load of White Pine from tree service contact in Feb 2013.Great stuff for cooler Fall/Spring days.I keep watching CL & other sources for more,hope to get some soon.