In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I've discovered cheap firewood in June and July...

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Jack of All Trades NH, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Jack of All Trades NH

Jack of All Trades NH

I've noticed up here in New Hampshire that I can typically score some cheap firewood right as the housing market is firing up for the spring and summer buy-sell. Folks don't generally sell their home to include their hoard of firewood and will sell it off cheap and fast to get it off the property for the new buyer. The last two years in a row I came across this.... ppl just wanting the wood off their lot fast... you just gotta come get it. Craigslist is good for finding this sort of deal.

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Good thinking!

Kinda like a "divorce" rummage sale, huh? :thumbs:

3. Jack of All Trades NH

Jack of All Trades NH

"A brand new set of golf clubs for $20 and you are sure your husband doesn't use them?"....."Where's he at, can I talk to him?" lol

4. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Good thinking. These scores might actually be seasoned, and you still have a decent amount of time to finish the drying before burning season if not.

5. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Almost all realestate agents have a number of things that just spontaneously spill out of their mouths, without any interaction from their brains, just as a matter of stepping onto a property they're going to list. One of them is; "you should clean up the yard & get rid of all that firewood". No thought whatsoever regarding whether the next owner might appreciate having a stash of firewood ready to go when they move in.
    Occasionally, it's a strategic thing where they don't want the buyers to know they've been using the fireplace/s because they are listing the fireplace/chimney "as is". i.e. "we've ridden it hard for years, put it up wet, (neglected all maintenance) and now we want to pass it off to you, at a profit".

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

It's all about curb appeal. You only get one chance for a first impression, right? :handshake:

7. Jack of All Trades NH

Jack of All Trades NH

When I first toured my house here in NH, I noticed that the woodshed was packed to the brim.... probably 5 to 6 cords. My wife and I put a bid on the house that night (not because of the woodshed though lol) but I was excited to possibly be already well ahead on the firewood. Well, I looked at the house again a week later and there was a measly 1/8 of a cord left that they graciously left me. :(

They had been very busy to clean the place out.

metalcuttr, MFMc., Midwinter and 3 others like this.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave

An offer made without contingencies? I'll bet the next time you'll remember!

Too bad.

9. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Ive seen the home sale firewood clearances as well. I try and keep an eye out every spring. Usually, they are free ASAP pickup when the buyer says they dont want it too.

10. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Especially here in New Jersey! Wood stove, inside the house? Firewood? What is that? Dirty ashes, you have to clean that? :bug: Majority are turn key style folks.

metalcuttr, MFMc., yooperdave and 3 others like this.