In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Isocore score

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Nice comparisons. I have both and would have guessed the ISO Core would have taken about 1/2 as mine Strikes. I know I get into some tough stuff that the splitting axe won’t budge that I can get through with ISO Core. Either way ever hand splitter should have both. :axe:Split on my friends!

2. Jack of All Trades NH

Jack of All Trades NH

Dakota, I thought for sure that it wouldn't have been so close.... the axe really made up on the second set of splits where as the maul didn't . I do find that I am a bit more conservative when I swing the maul, I have much less in-motion control of it so I tend to aim further in on the log. I agree, everybody who splits by hand on the regular will need either a maul or a wedge and hammer. :)

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I couldnt agree more. My only regret is not getting them sooner. My first Fiskars was an X25 which when it was gifted to me. I thought was too short, but once i got used to it i liked it. Lost it then got the X27. I enjoy hand splitting but dont like killing myself doing it. Actually kinda surprised your a hand splitter Dakota Hoarder with all the saws you have.

4. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Yes, I suppose I could sell a couple of saws to raise funds for a splitter, but I have CAD not SAD! In addition I like to split on site as much as possible so I don’t want to pull a splitter to every site I get wood at. It’s much easier to just throw the Fiskars in the truck!

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

You hit the nail dead center right on with my hand splitting thought. Monday i brought the two axes into the woods and split the oak i cut Saturday. Yesterday right next to where i staged the beech rounds. Look in the passenger seat of my PU and an Isocore, X27, Collins axe, sledge, pickaroon and a wedge on the floor! PITA when i have the rare passenger!

6. Gourley

Gourley

Sharing is caring. Let the guest pick the tool they are going to use first then you can choose yours.

7. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

We were debating whether I should wait until Christmas to open up the amazon package that arrived today. We compromised. I can use it before Christmas, but she is going to put a bow on it that I have to leave there until then.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats great and an early Merry Christmas to you. You must be stoked about using it! :axe: Good thing it was a stocking stuffer! Im wondering what chain saw/firewood stuff im gonna get?

9. Chaz

Chaz

10. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Yah, I’ve been keeping a couple saws and axes in the back seat as well. The kids get annoyed when they have to move stuff around to sit and when the truck smells like saws and mix! I kind of like the smell!

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Id keep them in the bed, but PITA to lean over on tip toes to get them, plus rain factor. Sometimes the 261 will ride shotgun in the front seat with my "black box" chain saw toolbox. I try to bring the saws into the basement every night when im done. Have to go right through foyer downstairs though as our house is a raised ranch style.
    Mebbe we can petition Stihl to make chain saw cut out air fresheners for our trucks/man caves etc!!! Scent of 40:1 mix!!!

12. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Well... I got an iso core from amazon, which arrived yesterday. It popped some ash rounds pretty well, but the poplar/cottonwood rounds stopped it cold. I only had limited time yesterday, so, I’ll get after again today.
    I’ve got an x25...too short. Got an x27...not impressed. I hope this big one is worth the 41 bucks.

Midwinter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats a great price. Rather than keep hitting it dead center try hitting the sapwood and going across the center in a straight line.

Midwinter and Gourley like this.
  14. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

If I aim for the center, I’m looking to stick it, then drive it through with my short handled sledge. That’s the problem with the x axes, they’re hard and chip when ya hit ‘em. I don’t fight pulling them out once they stick. I don’t hit in the center unless I’m feeling froggy.

I used it some today, and so far it’s no better than the one I’ve had for 30 years. I’ve been grinding and working on it for years. Hopefully, by the time I die, it’ll be perfect. image.jpg

Midwinter likes this.