In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Is the Milwaukee cordless chainsaw worth it?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Not_chip, Mar 11, 2020.

?

Is it worth it?

1. Yes get it!

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No stay away!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe but idk

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I've seen enough demonstrations to make me think they give adequate protection, they are out there go look for yourself, I have not seen a demonstration that showed an alarming failure. If you have information that says otherwise I'd live to see it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. Dumf

Dumf Banned

We both may be right on this Dave.
    The high torque and lack of clutch on electrics from what I've experienced in an old pair of chaps, will EVENTUALLY stop electric saws.
    The Kevlar fibers do stop gas saws near immediately ( as we've experienced ) since the clutch and engine stop.
    The electrics WILL RUN longer with your finger on the throttle; no clutch, hi torque.
    As a member of the Chicken Little Club, I will be careful. Butt, not my time for an electric/battery... again.
    BTW : I want real not adequate protection.
    P.S. I also use the chain brake when starting, when moving with a running saw. All part of my CLP and MEMIC training.

brenndatomu likes this.
  3. AJtree88

AJtree88

I have the cheapest Stihl battery powered saw. It’s pretty gutless but we use it a lot around the house for rough carpentry stuff, vines, etc.

I tried a Milwaukee for a few test cuts and it’s a lot more saw than the Stihl. I’d say go for it, but it’s definitely for light use. It will struggle doing firewood duties. Great for general cleanup and cutting brush/limbs.

4. ironpony

ironpony

Maybe both of you guys need to take a safety course being you have tested out your chaps several times...........LOL I am glad you were wearing them and are safe.

5. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Whoaaa Mr. Pony.
    Those tested chaps were ones that were already cut, well worn, sapped to hell with plenty off bar oil soaked in.
    We're safe, SAFE. :thumbs: "We're back in the saddle.....again. Back where the ....meets the ....." Singalong.
    Giddyyup.:p
    P.S. CLP, MEMIC.:salute:

6. ironpony

ironpony

see to an outsider reading it appears you have had several accidents. That is good to hear it was a test.

7. Dumf

Dumf Banned

No "outsider" hereabouts.
    Nothing about any "accidents".
    No left femoral arteries were damaged in these tests.:(
    Besides, any saw user who hasn't 'touched' their chaps over mucho saw years is ^*&^%%$#@. :jaw:
    Once you Kevlar them, it's time for a new pair. Mr. Dumf recommends Labonville Full Wrap (no N.H. tax).

8. JSH

JSH

My dad picked up a Milwaukee to go along with his pole saw and while initially I was skeptical, I have to say I'm impressed with it. It won't ever take the place of a bigger gas saw for felling or bucking big rounds but for limbing or clearing brush it is really handy. I like that it is not using gas or battery between cuts which makes it last a long time when you are not doing continuous cuts. Long sustained cuts in bigger wood is where you can see the gas advantage for sure. I have been clearing some dead Scotch pine and building brush piles with the cuttings and I really like the quiet between cuts and the ability to put it down without starting and stopping while I clear brush away.

9. Not_chip

Not_chip

I would think its true because electric (and i know Milwaukee stuff has tons of torque) Has EXTREMELY High peak torque and would most likely rip Right thru Kevlar

Dumf likes this.
  10. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Just going by what I've seen, have yet to see a demo where an electric saw is not stopped let alone rips right through.

brenndatomu likes this.
  11. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Here's the go Dave: for a bottle of my single malt, I will bring you an old disgarded pair of my chaps.
    You can't be more than an hour or two from us.
    You will strap them on....tight. Or, better and safer, lay them across a log. Choose one.
    We will run your electric or battery saw onto the chaps at WOT. Be sure the chain is sharp.
    If you choose to accept this mission......... :yes:

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I'll pass, I dont drink, and dont own an electric saw, and it's been done, here's just one example from an FHC member MMfrompa

Definition of adequate

1: sufficient for a specific need or requirement

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    imwiley1 and brenndatomu like this.
  13. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Mike's demo convinced me. You're correct.:salute:
    I will stihl use full PPE with multi layer chaps, and not yet get a battery saw. An old electric was used in construction here.
    Could be that the test done on chaps were soaked with sap and oil making the Kevlar stiff and ineffective.
    It's lonely being wrong. :headbang:

brenndatomu likes this.