In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

is selling firewood a good business?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Not_chip, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Not_chip

Not_chip

13 got an allis chalmers ca milwaukee polesaw stihl ms 391 and just about all i need including a splitting maul (all owned by my dad tho he would get a little bit of the profit)

2. Not_chip

Not_chip

nice!

Midwinter and Screwloose like this.
  3. jrider

jrider

At 13 I admire your drive to start a business. My now 8 year old son started selling wood in front of our house in late spring 2018. We made a wood rack and put a lock box out there so people can come and go as they please. From time to time, my wife and I will post about his stand on the local town facebook pages. He has done very very well - far exceeding our expectations. Maybe a stand in front of your house would be a good avenue for you to explore.

4. Not_chip

Not_chip

i did a small kindling stand... didnt do well someone came by and i guess thought the sign meant 50 cents for all of it and gave me a dollar and took it all oof oh well that is part of the reason i want to actually be between them and the product

JB Sawman, Aje1967, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  5. jrider

jrider

Clear signage is very important

JB Sawman, Midwinter and Not_chip like this.
  6. Not_chip

Not_chip

yep learned the hard way... next time i will just mow the sign into the yard saying *50 CENTS PER BUNDLE* so people will see it on google earth lol

7. billb3

billb3

I would definitely test the market.
    The guy up the street with a little farmers market tried bundles and apple chunks and he just didn't sell bundles. It wasn't 'kiln dried' so might have icky bugs in it. He said he'd try selling some swedish candles if I made them and without taking pencil to paper I think I'd rather spend my time making heat for my house with the pine I have. We'd be "splitting the profit" which would be the same as me wholesaling and, um, no thanks, it looks like slave wages. Volume and the machinery to do it would be a different story. Maybe.

8. Not_chip

Not_chip

no reason why i shouldnt!

Screwloose and billb3 like this.
  9. billb3

billb3

You could be sitting on a gold mine and a golden opportunity.

You start with a business plan for a small market with contingencies for both failure and a need to ramp up exponentially with a pulse check on (any) competition.

Screwloose and Not_chip like this.
  10. Not_chip

Not_chip

yeah the only big issue is there is someone down the road that sells firewood and they are a big company i guess, the pile they got is enough to heat the avg house for probably 25 years like 15 semitruck loads of the stuff but does that mean people want to buy from him? not always so i may have a chance.

11. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

You must not be afraid of hard work I started at 12 years old "1973" we sold for 90.00 a cord all oak I did 40 cord I did the work Dad did the driving when I delivered the problem is that now people want match light wood so it needs to be dry they do not want bark,bugs etc on there wood if you do start out with package wood this is what they expect if you do bulk firewood around my area it goes for 275.00-300.00 a full cord delivered for seasoned firewood green firewood is about half of that if you are splitting by hand figure to cut and split a cord will take you a day to do that is what it took me at first I split the first year by hand took the money and bought a splitter I have customers at my saw shop who split by hand they say it is cheaper than going to the gym :rofl: :lol: give it a try see if you like it my partner and I at that time in a few years worked up to 1000 cord a year with some hired help and 3 splitters running GOOD LUCK JB PS now I make enough to heat my house and shop about 15 cord a year and do not sell any

12. Not_chip

Not_chip

Hard work is something ive never been scared of lol i work till i cant then switch hands keep working or till the heat gets to me then we have issues lol

Screwloose, MikeyB and Sandhillbilly like this.
  13. Donny Price

Donny Price

From someone who has been in the business for several years I say go for it. At your age you will be able to make some money to put back. My biggest piece of advice I can give you is CSS starting now for next year. Firewood season is almost over for this year but that doesnt mean you cant get a head start on what you will be needing for next year. I would go ahead and split probably 3-4 cords to have for the start of next season.

Dumf, jrider and Screwloose like this.
  14. Screwloose

Screwloose

Another business idea. When I was 14 or 15 I convinced my parents to cosign a small bank loan for me to purchase a splitter. I then cut, split and stacked wood that people already owned. Halfway through the summer the splitter was paid for. Dad would do the transportation of it and me. Once people saw the work ethic it morphed into other jobs for them besides wood splitting. You don't have to worry about the quality, dryness, quantity, bugs and other things associated with supplying the actual wood.

Nick&Lissa, JB Sawman, Kris_S and 3 others like this.
  15. Not_chip

Not_chip

good idea but my dad transporting stuff is a no go for me he does his own work from home so getting him to spend time doing other stuff isnt easy

Screwloose likes this.