In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Is seasoning necessary?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Sep 18, 2019.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

:rofl: :lol::thumbs: Ok then I guess he had trouble taking the heat of that advice... I’m just glad that most chimneys that are built today are more efficient and effectively cleaned. Heard some fireplace and stone are lined to make that happen. Again the industry of today does know more than that of the last century.

2. JoeinO

JoeinO

33 Elite Flush Wood

BigPapi, FatBoy85, bear 1998 and 2 others like this.
  3. JoeinO

JoeinO

4. Sourwood

Sourwood

My fireplace at the tree farm won’t draft unless the wood is well seasoned. The house sits at the bottom of a “mountain “ with a lot of air settling. For my home and the tree farm, I am finally getting some seasoned wood set aside from the boiler wood.

One of the curmudgeons in the township is always amused that he sees all the pickup trucks speeding about to and fro with loads of wood, each October and to the end of winter. “Aak! Better get some firewood in”.

BigPapi, Midwinter, FatBoy85 and 3 others like this.
  5. jo191145

jo191145

Yes there are stainless flues on the market today. Never used one. Been out of residential masonry for 20 years.
    And of course the one piece liners that are installed in old flues. No one can argue the safety of a one piece liner. Creosote built inside a flue creates chimney fires. The real danger of losing your house comes from that wet runny creosote that can invade any small cracks in masonry. That’s the stuff that turns a chimney fire into a house fire,,,most of the time. Not usually by itself. Doesn’t burn well wet but it accumulates an drys in places no fire was intended to reach. Then a later chimney fire with the normal creosote most are familiar with will touch it off as fuel.
    A one piece liner pretty much does away with that issue. It’ll dump it back into the stove or at least onto the stove connection where most sane people will understand somethings wrong.
    Years ago I’ve seen some less than sane people burning soaking wet fresh wood with brown/black water pouring out of the pipes and running across their floors. One guy even had pots set up to catch it all. You can’t save everyone :)

6. woody5506

woody5506

Of course seasoning is necessary for wood stove wood. BUT, I understand where you're coming from in a way, in a sense that it seems to me some woods are extremely stubborn to season/lose moisture. I have a bunch of split honey locust in a single stack, plenty of air flow that's now 2 years old. Split a piece the other day, measured moisture on the fresh split and it was at like 35%. This is wood I'm planning on using winter of 20/21. By the time that happens, I won't be surprised if it's at 28-30% and by then it will be about 3.5 years old. I know it's a great BTU wood but what's the point if it never loses moisture?

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Honey locust is not typically a slow dryer...is it cut split, stacked? 2 years CSS I would expect it to be about ready to go...

8. woody5506

woody5506

Cut, split, stacked, top covered. The bark is able to be pulled off easily now though which I figured was a good sign, but the moisture in the middle of the splits is still there

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

How’s your area of exposure? The more exposure to sun is your best bet.

10. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Is this one of those folks who burns or just fancies the rush of those who plan late?

11. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

If i didnt have 2-3 year old hardwood to burn i would be scavenging dead standing pine because you can find that everywhere. I “wood “ rather burn that all season than be pizzed off at wet wood everyday. I definitely wouldnt buy from a wood supplier, most of that is cut and split during the year so you could be getting 8-12 month so called seasoned wood or only a few months seasoned.

FatBoy85, BigPapi and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Or right before it was loaded on the truck...called "seasoned" because the log laid in the sun all summer...:picard:

FatBoy85, BigPapi, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  13. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Ya that doesnt work, 2 years ago the guy down the rd gave me like 4 -5 grapple loads of hardwood logs that sat in the sun for 5 years. ( i posted all those pics)
    Those logs were still pushin moisture when i hit em with the log splitter. Maples were dry as a bone. All others took about a month to dry well and like i said they sat for 5 years so logs that sit a year are useless for firewood in my opinion.

FatBoy85, BigPapi, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  14. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

What amount of moisture is considered "well seasoned"?

15. Sourwood

Sourwood

He burns in his fireplace for ambience, but is knowledgeable on all manner of subjects. He gets a kick out of how these folks who have all year to lay wood in but wait until the last minute to get in unseasoned wood.

BigPapi, Midwinter, FatBoy85 and 2 others like this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

15 to 20 according to my stove manual for a new EPA rated stove.

17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hey Well Seasoned, how many adult beverages does this equal....?
    :whistle:

BigPapi, Midwinter, FatBoy85 and 4 others like this.
  18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

20% or less moisture is considered "seasoned" I would say less than 15% is "well seasoned"

BigPapi, Midwinter, FatBoy85 and 3 others like this.
  19. jrider

jrider

This is like asking if you can work in boots that haven’t been tied. Sure it can be done but you’d look pretty silly doing it and nobody would take you serious.
    And yes I used the word silly... I have a 5 and 8yo so it’s part of my daily language

20. jo191145

jo191145

Nothing wrong with utilizing the English language :)
    I read somewhere years ago that real men never use the word pretty. Didn’t really understand that as I use it pretty much every day. Still do obviously but I remember that not so wise nugget of wisdom every time I type it.
    The only word I won’t use is obtuse. Shawshank destroyed that one by making it too popular :)