In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Is seasoning necessary?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Erik B

Erik B

JoeinO Which Lopi insert do you have?

2. Yawner

Yawner

You are sure right about that, I have made that point to my gf about isn't it nice to burn wood with little smoke!

3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Very true!!

Chvymn99, JoeinO, brenndatomu and 8 others like this.
  4. bigfrank

bigfrank

I guess the drying of wood depends on your weather. Here in Northern California, I cut some valley oak in April and May. Got it all split and stacked. Checked it just after I cut it and it had 34% moisture. By August, the moisture was at 9%. We have lots of 100 degree plus days here in Summer, with humidity in the teens a lot. Add the 15-30 mph winds lots off days and burnable wood is just a few months away sometimes after cutting.

Stlshrk, Chvymn99, JoeinO and 13 others like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Sounds like you live in mother natures kiln. Can you send some of that our way?

Stlshrk, Chvymn99, JoeinO and 12 others like this.
  6. red oak

red oak

I burned unseasoned wood my first few years - I thought I was ahead of the game if I cut the wood in August or September to burn that winter. Yes it did burn and I kept warm but it was a lot harder to get the fire going and keep it going. I used a lot more wood too since I had to keep the stove wide open. I also used to keep the wood uncovered outside. As I got many years ahead more leaves would get in the wood and trap moisture. Now I keep the wood outside for a year and then get it under a roof for 3 more. Now I burn about half the amount I used to in winter and the chimney stays clean too.

7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Bet you had some interesting chimney observations after those unseasoned years. Yes you stay warm enough for the stove wide open but different feel to shut it down a lot more ?

Stlshrk, Chvymn99, JoeinO and 10 others like this.
  8. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

That's what I've kinda adopted. I try and keep the wood out uncovered for a period of time depending on the type then get it covered for a good year or so before burning it.

Stlshrk, Chvymn99, JoeinO and 7 others like this.
  9. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

As some have already reported, I too have burned partially seasoned wood out of necessity. I had to clean my flue 3x more that winter. You also don’t get the BTUs your used to with seasoned splits. Never again! It is dangerous for sure

Stlshrk, Chvymn99, JoeinO and 10 others like this.
  10. bigfrank

bigfrank

Unfortunately, I'm sold out for the year. Could have used another 10-15 cords.

Stlshrk, Chvymn99, JoeinO and 8 others like this.
  11. Timberdog

Timberdog

I remember one time last year after I just lit a fire and my sister had come over. She was flabbergasted that after two minutes the fire was roaring away. I explained that that’s the difference when you use dry seasoned firewood. She was amazed. Burns much cleaner, hotter, longer, easier, and more complete.

Stlshrk, JoeinO, brenndatomu and 8 others like this.
  12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I season steaks that I grill. Just a little salt and pepper, is all.

:D

Chvymn99, JoeinO, brenndatomu and 9 others like this.
  13. red oak

red oak

I should add that most of what I burn is red oak which seems to be in its own universe for drying time. Small amounts of ash, maple, and pine that I have get burned sooner.

Chvymn99, JoeinO, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  14. red oak

red oak

Chimney actually wasn’t that bad but I mostly remember worrying about overfiring with the draft wide open and using much more wood.

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I bet you never over fired, because wet wood Just doesn't burn that hot..

16. jo191145

jo191145

Truth be told I used to clean my chimney by inducing chimney fires. Granted I’m a mason and my personal chimney is three times over code in thickness and air space. Still not recommended ;)

As an aside anyone ever hear of a chimney fire from a EPA stove? I haven’t. I think chimney fires are down overall even though there’s plenty of old stoves still running.
    My progress will burn wet wood. It’ll let you know it’s not happy but it will do it. Still not recommended.
    Once you know better it’s only logical to take the required steps and rectify old bad behavior.

17. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I was the same. I got my temps pretty high but then I realized it had a lot to do with how windy it was outside. The draft was so strong at times so I’d smell paint at a new temperature and honestly I freaked out but I think next time I will need to educate that on methods when it does get too hot if it does on my next stove. Unless that’s how it gets pushed. Temp tolerance on a stove can be pretty high and still be made in China but scared the Evian outta me.

18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

But wouldn’t a stove cat bear the brunt of this issue? If you’re burning wood that isn’t ready, I thought that the catalyst would be catching a lot of this stuff? Yeah I would say EPA stoves are rated better for the wood but it’s not a foolproof plan. One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned is how much pipe can really affect the way a stove burns. More pipe can mean that the smoke cools faster so resulting in more build up. Lots of other variables but if we point out that wet wood is used, we can’t rule out a chimney fire happening but sounds like being aware of it and cleaning as due diligence is needed, those numbers should be down. Moving away from old school processes like single wall pipe has intensely helped. Stoves here are sensitive but OWB are less so. I’m not in awe anymore but I’m wondering what would happen if those with those kinds of burners actually dried out their wood a lot more? Split the big stuff a bit. Most of those folks burn massive amounts of wood. But would it go down if they did? That’s a moot point and don’t wanna stir the pot. Lots here only have the option of getting wood ready for that year and nothing else.

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

FatBoy85 on mine the catalyst only works when smoke temps are above 500. Hard to get wet wood that hot!

20. jo191145

jo191145

FWIW my cleaning chimneys with Fire was pre cat days. Have a wood air furnace in the basement I no longer use.
    There are, or at least used to be vids of a PH burning some pretty damp wood. Woodstock made them.
    I’ve burned some 30+ in my PH. It will do it. It’s tough getting the cat to kick in but once it does it goes well.
    That’s the steel cats. Do that with ceramic and they’ll crumble up in short order.
    I still have a less than stellar chimney setup. 6” flex uninsulated dangling inside an 18”x18” flue. Never had a problem with it being uninsulated. Clean it every two years and seems a waste of time. Don’t tell anyone ;) LOL

Had a conversation with an OWB user at the local gin mill. His opinion was dry wood makes his unit burn too hot. Got a little miffed when I asked him why he couldn’t set the controls lower. Oh well.