In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Is it dry?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Dstrick, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Dstrick

Dstrick

Is it dry? Is it seasoned? Is it ready to burn? How long has it been down?

I have some cordwood listed right now. I have long been out of “seasoned” stuff. But I do have quite a horde of split green fir and maple. Perfect time for a person to get it stacked and almost certainly have perfectly dry wood by next fall or maybe even as early as summer with the fir. I know there are a lot of people in unfortunate circumstances right so I use patience and grace when I interact with any inquiries.

1. Isn’t a bit odd to be looking for crispy dry seasoned wood in the middle of December?
    2. Do any of you that sell wood just horde it to the late, deep deep fall before it’s marketed?

They persistently offer that I should deeply discount it because it’s not ready to burn immediately. I remind them that my work on it is done and there is nothing to discount. There is no labor to let the wood sit.

I’ve even just heard when mentioning that it’s a perfect time to grab it for next year and be certain of your woods quality that, “We aren’t noobs, we have 8 cord in the shed we just want something to burn right away”. Saaaay whaaaaat?

2. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I'd argue that there is labor involved in seasoning wood - I split, stack, cover, and spot check the MC. That said, it should not discount your price for selling green wood but only further the argument that seasoned wood is more expensive. You have to store it too and that takes space.

People who look for crispy dry wood in December are also the ones willing to pay for wood as opposed to taking the time and effort to procure their own wood and let it season. I've never enjoyed burning wood more than now where I am finally getting to enjoy the wood I started splitting in Oct-2019. Luckily for me I have some dry spruce, black locust, sugar and norway maple, all of which dry super fast when c/s/s. I still have a ton of red/black/white/pin oak that won't be ready until next winter....so I'm looking forward to that as well.

I don't sell wood. It's not worth it. I put way too much into processing it myself and I want to enjoy it. I give away rounds that I don't "like" as I'm getting pickier with what I split. I also give away cutoffs to those using it for an outdoor firepit. I make sure to tell them not to use it indoors......but who knows what people do with it once they leave.

People will have their opinions. I asked a neighbor if he has chaps because he mentioned a chainsaw and he's just getting started splitting wood.....and his response was "Nah, I'm real safe with the chainsaw...." You can't fix what you can't fix.

3. billb3

billb3

So list "ready to burn today" at 50% markup and then label it OOS .
    There's your discount.

In July offer the same discount for "early buyers" - when it is gone, it is gone.

4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

There’s a lot of labor in the process of it. And for seasoned wood now your dealing with square footage. And square footage cost money...