The Dept of agriculture announced an ash quarantine for the eastern part of Iowa http://www.iowaagriculture.gov/press/2013press/press11012013.asp
Yea, the beetle is spreading like wildfire. Its such a shame. Ash is just one of those trees that are so important. Its great firewood, but to think one day it could be gone is a horrible feeling.
Long ways from our neighborhood, schlot. I wonder how long until we start seeing measures in the west. I am in the big county, by the way. Kossuth, against the northern border.
I'd love think we will never see it jack but we will of course. I know one of major split wood suppliers in Iowa (he sells to all Hyvee stores) is very close to the quarantined area. Last time I looked 30% of his wood was ash.
A lot of the towns up here seem to have more ash than maple. Not a lot of diversity. That's scary about Hyvee.
As others have discovered, the quarantine simply does not work at all. After all, they don't stay put but instead, go looking for more to eat.