In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Introduce yourself here !

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Pallet Pete, Oct 6, 2013.

1. bogieb

bogieb

You've been thru some tough times for sure but sounds like you are determined to get back to a relatively normal life. Hats off to you for discovering your own method of treatment. I've had to ignore doctor's in the past and discover what worked for me, so understand where you are coming from.

That was a beautiful pellet stove that you had, I'll bet it didn't take long to sell. We'll still let you peek into the in the pellet forum every once in a while despite your turning back to wood :D. Sounds like you are going whole hog on the wood stuff, so good luck!

raybonz, wildwest, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  2. Maina

Maina

Thank you for the warm welcome neighbor!
    No, I don’t own a woodlot, just a couple acres actually mostly covered in trees. They carved out a spot for the house and the rest pretty much needs to be cut and cleared up, but I have enough wood on it for quite a few years. I’ll buy some to supplement. I do have a couple cords of nice dry stuff to get me started next season and I’ll get some ash to round it out probably, and possibly a few bio bricks to mix in just to stretch out the dry stuff at first. I am going to CSS 8-10 cords this spring and summer for future seasons. I have a couple cord of oak that’s down and needs attention as soon as the snow goes a little more.
    I put those dates on the calendar, and I’ll definitely try to make the gathering if I’m invited. It would be great to meet everyone. I used to stay in Whitefield a lot for work so I’m pretty familiar with that beautiful area.

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

Cool! Wow 8-10 cords to be stashed away, that will keep you busy. It will put you way ahead. I scrounge all my wood, and burn about 3 cords/ year. Sounds like you have a very nice spot, with plenty to harvest on your couple of acres.

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

welcome Maina, I am sure Well Seasoned will be along shortly for a personal invite. In the meantime welcome to the FHC:handshake:

raybonz, wildwest, Maina and 2 others like this.
  5. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Welcome Maina, you'll see in your alerts the invite to the g2g! Hope you can join!

6. Maina

Maina

Thank you kindly Canadian border VT!

7. Maina

Maina

Thank you very much Well Seasoned! I’ll do my best to come!

8. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Sweet! Just click might attend so i can send u a reminder closer to the date.

Waiting on your Kubota question thread too! :whistle:

:D

9. Chaz

Chaz

Welcome Maina, you won't regret becoming a member here.

I never introduced myself in this thread so here goes..

I'm Chaz
    I'm 49, my wife is 65 and has been retired for 2 yrs now.
    We're both USAF veterans, her from Vietnam era, served in Thailand as a nurse
    I'm from Gulf War Part I, served from 87-92 as an F-16 Crew Chief

We met online back in 97 when she emailed me to ask for help putting up her personal webspace on the local ISP. We met in person in 98 at the Community College where she was working in the computer lab (ironic eh).

We hit it off well, became friends, then drinkin buddies, and things progressed from there.:emb:
    We got married in 2012 after purchasing our current house/property (22 acres in Southwestern NY) in Aug 2010.

Spring of 2012 our fuel oil beast took a crap on us, and they wanted $700 to fix it.
    FO was running around $4 per gallon at the time, with 150G minimum delivery.
    We'd gone through between 1000-1300 dollars per winter in FO, and I'd had enough.
    Told her I could put in a wood stove for about the same as fixing the furnace and minimum fuel delivery. So we did.
    Overall cost was actually around $1500, but who's counting. :hair:

We had between 50 and 75 trees timbered off in 2011 to meet Escrow demands, and had a LOT of tops just sitting on the hill, so it was really a no-brainer. After a couple of years of dealing with elec supplemental heat, I fixed the furnace on my own, but I will stick with wood as long as I am capable.

So, this past year we treated ourselves to a new Woodstock Ideal Steel soapstone stove, and we've been quite happy with the investment.

I learned a lot on this and a couple of other sites while lurking and researching.. but joined here for the cordial atmosphere and the good people and advice.

I can be long-winded (typed) I know, but will try my best to save the 'epic novel' :rofl: :lol: that is my life for those who truly suffer from insomnia. :D

Chaz

ChipsFlyin, Eric VW, MikeyB and 11 others like this.
  10. Maina

Maina

Thanks Chaz that’s quite a story. Thank you for your service, and that of your wife. I’m not a veteran, but have lots in the family from WWII ON.
    Congratulations on the Ideal Steel! I’m sure that will keep you warm for a long time to come.

Eric VW, Chvymn99, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  11. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Welcome Maina and Chaz great to have you both here! Thinking the GTG would be a good time.. Well Seasoned what are the details? As you know I have family near to you..
    Ray

12. dwyleecoyote

dwyleecoyote

Hello all, my name is Dave, and I have a firewood hoarding problem. At least that is what some of my friends are starting to say. I live just outside of a small town along lake Erie in Ohio, and I would say I get about 80% of my heat from wood burners. A small EPA contraption in the house, and a double barrel setup in the garage. I run Stihl chainsaws, and recently came into a LOT of slab wood, so I have been messing with an ancient PTO drive buzz saw, and I still have all my fingers. I guess that's all for now, planning to spend the weekend clearing the slab pile by my garage, clearing the slab off the trailer, then maybe the slab piles out back. It never ends.

ChipsFlyin, raybonz, Chvymn99 and 9 others like this.
  13. Midwinter

Midwinter

Welcome dwyleecoyote! You come from the land of snow? We like to talk about the weather, in addition to firewood. And pictures are appreciated. What kind of wood are the slabs? Feel free to start a thread about your slabbing endeavors! EBiXm5k.jpg

clay shooter, Eric VW, Maina and 2 others like this.
  14. Chaz

Chaz

Hi Dave!!
    little inside joke for anyone that's danced the 12 step shuffle:whistle:

Welcome to the club Dave, you'll find a friendly lot around these parts.
    Wood/Weather/Beer/Dogs(pets)/Food and pics of all are the general topics of the day.
    Oh, and Woodstoves/Chainsaws/Tractors too. ;)

You must be hanging out with the right people if they say such nice things about you.:yes:
    You've found the right place to discuss all things wood.

Chaz

Chvymn99, Maina, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  15. bogieb

bogieb

Chaz, Eric VW, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Maina

Maina

Welcome dwyleecoyote from another FNG. Great place for wood hoarders!

Chaz, Eric VW and Chvymn99 like this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

18. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Welcome Maina & Chaz (Thank you for your service and tell your wife Thank you too for her service) & dwyleecoyote to FHC...

Chaz, Eric VW and Maina like this.
  19. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Welcome dwyleecoyote you'll find many like minded people that understand and accept you!

Chaz, Eric VW and Maina like this.
  20. lovestihlquality

lovestihlquality

I'm Ed. Retired firefighter. Cut wood at my dad's. Keep trying to talk him to an OWB. Run Stihl saws and have way more than I need but seem to use 028s and ported 046 the most. Really prefer screw caps to the flippy. Pop raises Texas Longhorns so freezer is always full.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

clay shooter, Eric VW, Chaz and 7 others like this.