In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Introduce yourself here !

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Pallet Pete, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Welcome FHC Woody0331. We do like dogs, beer and lots of pics.

2. Dazza95

Dazza95

Hey everyone, I'm Dazza from Shrewsbury, UK. I've been browsing this forum for a long time now and thought I ought to join.

Currently renting a place which has a Clearview Pioneer stove, we try to use this as much as possible rather than the oil heating. I have sourced some wood (cherry, sycamore, apple and leylandii) for next winter which has been split and stacked since April this year. Other than that I'm fortunate to have a very good firewood supplier who is able to supply me with a good variety of properly dried firewood - this year I have a mix of ash, beech, oak, yew, pine and birch .

Thank you for accepting me as a new member and I'm looking forward to contributing to this fantastic community.

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

4. Chaz

Chaz

Welcome aboard Dazza95
    :cheers:

Sounds like you're off to a great start on the wood.
    :yes::yes:

I presume the landlord is good with you burning?

Around here, I'd be hard pressed to allow a tenant to burn, unless I knew them well enough to know their competence level.

5. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

6. Loon

Loon

Good on ya Woody.:salute: Who's your white buddy on the right of the stove? :cheers:

7. Marvin

Marvin

8. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Welcome to FHC. Just so ya know, we like dogs, beer and lots of pics.

9. Dazza95

Dazza95

Cheers for the warm welcome everyone :yes:

No issues with the landlord, in fact he's happy to see the stove being used as apparently previous tenants didn't use it much. Also, I asked if I could extend the log store that was there when we moved in and he was happy to oblige so as long as I helped. I was more than pleased with this as I learnt some basic woodworking skills along the way.

I know you all like photos so here's one of the stove setup.

IMG_6648.jpg

10. Midwinter

Midwinter

Nice, Dazza95! I bet those bricks will hold a lot of heat. We have a few other UK members, clay shooter and iBob are two.

11. Chaz

Chaz

Beautiful setup & great landlord Dazza95
    :yes:

12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Welcome to the club. Lots of great folks here sharing knowledge and humor.
    Great looking stove set-up.

13. Woody0331

Woody0331

Bauer. He’s a Craigslist owner surrender. We got him this summer. He was a real PITA in the beginning, but is starting to come around. And he’s great around kids.

14. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Hi Friends! I'm Cash. Just signed up! I live in the rocky mountains in Pine, Colorado - at about 9,000 feet. I'm married to a very understanding, woman who is WAY out of my league (she knows I have a wood hoarding problem, and is okay with it). I have a Jotul Oslo wood stove and a Quadra-Fire pellet stove. I am a firefighter in the Denver metro area. I do a LOT of wildfire mitigation for my friends and neighbors, in exchange for free wood!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  15. Chaz

Chaz

16. Midwinter

Midwinter

Welcome Cash Larue! I wonder if you are our highest elevation member! So, burn a lot of Pine? aviary-image-1572283281586.jpeg

17. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Welcome aboard Cash. We like dogs, beer and lots of pics. How about giving is a your tour of what you got.. thank for your services to your community.

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Welcome to the club. Lots of great folks here sharing knowledge and humor. I think you will like it here. Thank you for your service. That is a dangerous job.
    How long have you been burning? Does your hunny help you?

20. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Hi friends! Just checked back in. It makes me feel "warm" to have so many friendly responses! I love the Cash Larue sign! I do burn a lot of pine. Where I live, my options are mostly Ponderosa pine, Limber pine, Lodgepole, Douglass fir, Aspen, Cedar and scrub oak. All great firewood for different reasons. The pines, burn hot and fast, like gasoline. Need to clean the chimney a lot when burning lots of pine. Douglass fir is actually EXCELLENT firewood and very abundant here. Aspen is underrated in my opinion. It burns hot and very clean... but fast. Cedar burns hot and smells wonderful. Scrub oak burns VERY hot. I keep a bit of it around for cold winter nights. I have a good friend that owns a tree trimming/cutting company in Denver. I get a lot of hard wood from him for free. I save him a trip to the dump by taking the wood that he cuts. I get a lot of oak, elm, maple, walnut, hackberry, honey locust, ash etc. from him. I mix that hardwood in with my locally grown pine, fir etc. I like to burn heartland pellets in my pellet stove too. I also like beer and dogs. I'm having a beer as I type this, with my dog at my feet, chazsbetterhalf :) I will post some pics of my stuff. I live on 2.5 acres in the mountains. My property backs up to a state park. Got 8 inches of snow last night. We are supposed to get up to 14 more inches tonight. I have a plow on my ATV for the snow - which is so much fun. T.Jeff Veal - I've been burning my whole life, my friend. I grew up in Evergreen in a small farm house. The wood stove was our only heat source, so I could build a fire for my mom and siblings since I was in diapers (pretty much). I've been running chainsaws and splitters since I was a kid helping my dad out. My hunny does help out a lot. She's a cute little package. But don't let her size fool ya. She's a firecracker! She gets up early and runs the logging roads up here, before the sun comes up every morning (depending on weather of course). I also have a young son. Too young to cut and split wood, but I can't wait to teach him! I also appreciate the comments about being a firefighter. I am also a paramedic. Im 37 years old, but I've been on the job for 14 years. I love it, but I love coming home to the mountains and relaxing by the fire even more.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019