In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Interesting stove

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Warner, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

How do I say this politely.......
    Ummm ......
    Get off the soap box and stop criticizing everyone’s post !!

Yes we all get that you are the safety police or inspector or what ever your official title is....

BUT..... the human race flirts with disaster every day !!! And many survive....

No need to Criticize every topic.

2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I would think with that install, one thing someone could do to prevent combustion of the adjacent materials would be to splash a little water on them once in a while (assuming that they might even get up to a temperature that combustion could happen as the heat loss through an uninsulated wall would be completely different in an install like this than one inside an insulated residential structure ). We’ve all said it numerous times, water doesn’t burn. Not like wetting the structure while out on the ice would attract carpenter ants or termites. Thanks for sharing the pic Warner if anyone has the national building code for NH ice fishing shacks available, please post it here. Would love to add it to my inventory of things to read.

3. billb3

billb3

That's what you do when you need to feel better about yourself.

4. BHoller

BHoller

Really me get off my soapbox???? What a joke you guys should try looking in the mirror occasionally. The only reason threads like this one go so off the rails is the people who feel the need to jump on any comment I make upon safety or codes.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Agreed 100% ^ ^ ^...you guys are acting like a bunch of bullies...all dogpile on one guy that is just trying to be helpful...you wanna pick on someone, save it for your daughters boyfriend tonight.
    Don't like his material? Hit the ignore button...

6. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I think at the end of the day, BHoller is trying to share some code knowledge and I don't see a problem that at all with it, but it is still America (for now), and we all have the right to choose if/when we want to use this knowledge.....

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

As many of you are aware, BHoller is a member of the moderating team on the hearth.com forum.

I have read some of his posts and responses on that web site and they are not at all abrasive or combative as the posts and comments he makes here. It does reflect poorly on hearth.com and I can't understand why he chooses to act and respond the way he does here, but not on the forum where he is on the moderating team.

IMO, he chooses to treat the members of this forum in both a condescending and patronizing manner. As I suspected once before, maybe this is due to his young age? But why don't we get the same consideration he uses on the other site? Night and day.

As you may also know, Scotty Overkill started this site as an alternative to hearth.com and many of it's members who had enough of it followed suit and joined here. Dropping a name here, but Backwoods Savage was a highly regarded member on that site also and left for reasons stated.

Sometimes I wonder if BHoller has an axe to grind with FHC.

brenndatomu , no one is acting like a bully here including Nitrodave He was just the first to say what a lot of other members are thinking.

:handshake:

8. Warner

Warner

I’m going fishing in the bob house tomorrow. If I don’t pass out drunk I’ll post some pics of the fun my family and our neighbors are having.

fox9988, unclefess, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  9. Scotty Overkill

I certainly hope that isn't the case, I try to let this place open for anyone who wants to join and participate civilly.....

There are other members here who also belong over there, I don't have a problem with that at all......just so long as it's kept civil.

10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hope you catch some fish!:seasoned:
    :yes:

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

So? Here trying to steal sponsors?
    I don't see any difference...other than maybe some defensiveness when posting here...due to past experience I'm sure. (FHC-PTSD?!)
    Well, I think it reflects poorly on FHC that the guy can't even say "the sky is blue" here without everybody getting their shorts all wadded up.
    Again, I don't see a difference...many/most posts are just the facts...we can't handle that now? (or, don't want to hear facts, just because they come out of a book, and we don't like them? I have a boss like that...any facts that come from a book are BS)
    Probably does now!
    Disagree...and when it starts, there are several (more than several) people that tend to jump in and pile on even though they didn't have a dog in the fight prior.

12. BHoller

BHoller

Go back through my posting history here and look at my first posts on a thread. It is almost always simply presenting facts. Then look at the responses I receive. If you do this objectively I think you will see things differently.

13. BHoller

BHoller

You may want to tell your moderators that. 2 of them have been completely uncivil with me from the start. One even resorting to name calling.

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  14. BHoller

BHoller

I agree completely. I really don't think I have ever said anyone has to follow code. Just informed people what it is and let them know some of the risks of not following them.

15. yooperdave

yooperdave

Looks like another can of worms opened up. :picard:

No big deal.

After working in HVACR field since the 90's to now, I had my share of dealing with inspectors that would cite codes. One thing they will all tell you, is its open to interpretation. That being said, many of the inspectors were a complete joy to deal with, others, not so much to not at all.

Myself, I always followed codes and also worked hand in hand with the other trades so as not to create unwanted and hostile work environments.

Are codes important? You bet!

Do some inspectors abuse their position and let the control go to their heads? Again, (view this objectively,) without a showdown of a doubt. If they expect everyone to bow and all hail their presence/knowledge, sadly they are mistaken. Respect is earned. I would like to think that everything I did was the right way of doing it.

A little bit of sugar goes a long way in taking medicine. :handshake:

16. Scotty Overkill

We've had some talks, things get heated and opinions clash, we are all guilty of that at times. So I personally apologize for any misunderstandings on behalf of our staff......

It's the internet, let's not forget that.....lol

17. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

That looks to be a Nu-Way wood stove manufactured in Michigan. I had one before switching to the propane model about 10 years ago. Good stoves for the spear house.

upload_2020-2-29_17-45-54.png

Not sure about any applicable fish house codes however.

18. BHoller

BHoller

I don't know that any codes do apply to fishing shacks. But a fire hazard is a fire hazard codes or not.

19. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

I have not heard of ice shack stove codes either.

You are correct that mitigating hazards is a priority with stoves for heating. We have had some cases of tragic deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning in overnight shacks due to faulty venting, carelessness or system malfunctions.

20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I don't usually look into this forum but because our friend yooperdave mentioned me I received a notice. But reading through these posts, right now I'm happy that I don't usually look into this one... As for that other forum, I was actually given the boot. Yes, I was a highly regarded member until things happened one weekend (Not on the forum and not even on the computer but face to face. There was even someone else involved who was not on the forum but had contact with said owner. That's about all I can say right now.) that really set the owner's shorts on fire. Things went downhill rather fast on the forum after that. And then when I passed a moderator in the post number that also seemed to set their shorts on fire. I am very happy to not be on that forum any longer and am happy at present right here with many, many, many friends.

Please try to keep things on easy street.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.