In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Insulation and other improvements

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by schlot, Jun 12, 2015.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

Menards, I trust!

bogieb, Horkn, schlot and 1 other person like this.
  2. schlot

schlot

Of course!! :)

yooperdave, Horkn and papadave like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

That's the only bad shag.

bogieb and schlot like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

Apparently that R2 was very popular - most of it has been replaced in my house.

I never found a bag of nails, but did find an empty beer can (which explains A LOT that went on in this house) and a metal electrical box laying right next to an installed metal electrical box,

Really screws with you when replacing with 1/2" around windows and doors (ask me how I know . . . )

Caulk backing and caulk are your best friends

I'm pretty sure your house builder and mine were related :hair:

schlot and papadave like this.
  5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Over the years, I have found newspapers used for insulation; found no insulation...(yeah, up here, too!) Lots and lots of leavings form critters (mice, bats, bugs) and those are just some of the standard things that everyone finds. Did find a couple of tools that I still use to this day; but on the other hand, I know I left behind tools!! When they are found, someone will score!!

Horkn, bogieb, schlot and 1 other person like this.
  6. papadave

papadave

Yep. The ones that got dropped in crawlspace pea gravel may never be seen again. That stuff is like quicksand, or the LaBrea tar pits. :rofl: :lol:

Horkn, bogieb, schlot and 1 other person like this.
  7. TBONE

TBONE

What are your thoughts on spray foam insulation? I really need to insulate the rim joists and was considering the spray foam method. We have a basement that is currently unfinished but with plans to someday and reinstalling a wood stove also. Have any of you used spray foam?

bogieb and schlot like this.
  8. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I cut foil faced polyiso and then spray foamed the edges/gaps, not a fun job.

bogieb, schlot, billb3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. billb3

billb3

I've done the same, even doubling it up. Made a huge difference in one corner of the basement where they did a really crappy job installing the greenboard and it was always cold in the Winter. I could see out side for about 5 bays.
    Also the overhang on a raised ranch.

bogieb, schlot and papadave like this.
  10. schlot

schlot

That's a great application for spraying insulation. It's more expensive but does a great job sealing and insulation.

I used the can foam stuff to run a line of it to seal the rim moist to plate intersection than placed batt insulation after it hardened. It's was a hybrid and cheaper way (had a few rolls of insulation around anyway) than spraying the whole surface with a better quality foam.

papadave and bogieb like this.
  11. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

If moist air can get through the insulation to the sill plate, you could end up with condensation and potential rot in the rim joists and sill. That's why people use the closed cell foam or the foil faced insulation board. I believe (just my opinion) if you run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity in your basement low, you are much less prone to the condensation and rot issue if your only option is regular insulation.

Insulate Basement Rim Joists | Family Handyman

It’s important to create an airtight seal around each section of foam using caulk or expanding foam (Photo 2). Otherwise, moist inside air could condense on the cold rim joist. The resulting dampness can lead to mold and rot. If you have a solid concrete foundation, also run a bead of caulk where the sill plate meets the concrete. If you have a concrete block foundation, also seal the openings on top with expanding foam. Stuff a wad of fiberglass insulation into each opening to support the foam as it hardens (see Figure A in the Horizontal Callout).

bogieb and Camber like this.
  12. Camber

Camber

Great advice. I've been using a sill seal that is a EPDM product. It is more expensive, but totally eliminates caulk. Closed cell doesn't wick moisture like open cell, but has very little sound proofing.

bogieb likes this.
  13. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

As long as you're sealing the cold wood against moisture from inside the house, I think you're good. EPDM combined with normal fiberglass insulation probably gives better sound deadening characteristics.

Camber likes this.
  14. Camber

Camber

That is what a few engineers have told me. I built a "green" home for customer in his 60,s. The house cost about 100,000 extra, and he will never see the return on his investment. I try to shoot for a happy medium.

bogieb, schlot and stuckinthemuck like this.
  15. schlot

schlot

You're right, that's the absolutely the best technical way.

However, knowing the joist spaces I was dealing with, it would make it incredibly hard to seal correctly around the hard board insulation, so I could not see how it would be achievable in my case.

I'm ok with the batt insulation method based on my experience with other homes that used the same method that I'm using.

I agree a dry basement certainly reduces the potential problems.

bogieb likes this.
  16. bogieb

bogieb

Tying to get around all the FHW pipes would be nigh on impossible for me.

schlot likes this.
  17. TBONE

TBONE

Thanks for everyone's input. Here is what I was referring to about spray foam insulation to insulate my rim joist. I haven't found any negatives about it so far. I would definitely use the closed cell type.

Hope the link works.

milleo and bogieb like this.
  18. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

He touched on it there at the end that those kits are pricey so if you piece in the foam board first and then use the spray foam for the edges it's likely going to be a lot cheaper. I used a bunch of small cans and it was a PIA to get the foam where you want it in tight spaces, that kit spray applicator would make it a lot easier.

bogieb and papadave like this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

TBONE I have used the closed cell here it averages about a dollar a foot 2 inches thick so it can be pricey... since I'm always on a budget.. I have 2 by 6 walls so 2 inches foam followed by r11 pink..

milleo and bogieb like this.