In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Installing a wood stove in my shop

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Shurdel, Oct 17, 2014.

  1. Shurdel

    Shurdel

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2014
    Messages:
    187
    Likes Received:
    885
    Location:
    Southern PA
    I got a stove at a yard sale and want to put in in my shop. It's one that you get from Northern Tool for about $200, I paid $40. My question is can I use stove pipe on the outside as a chimney or do I need to use the insulated pipe. My floor is cement and it will be 3 feet from the wall and I'll use one of the wall pass throughs. If I use insulated pipe, I'll have 5 times more wrapped up in pipe than the stove. Thanks
     
    Stinny likes this.
  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Let me put it this way... it'll be cheaper buying the single wall pipe (outside) ...until... you see all the creosote running down the outside of it, and dripping from any inside joint it can get to... and then have to buy the double wall anyway. We did that exact mistake with our cabin the first winter. We got lucky (if you want to call it that) because the creosote dripped and got on the side of the cabin making quite a mess, but we hadn't put the last layer of boards on yet, so it got on Typar instead. Replaced the pipe with a double wall (bout $800) pipe and no probs since.
     
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Supposed to be chimney as soon as you start passing through the ceiling.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  4. Shurdel

    Shurdel

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2014
    Messages:
    187
    Likes Received:
    885
    Location:
    Southern PA
    I was going to run it through the wall and up the outside, maybe I an run it straight up and through the tin roof. That way I would need less chimney pieces.
     
    Pyroholic and fox9988 like this.
  5. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I have to agree with Stinny on this. I know it's just a shop but that single walled pipe will not let that
    hot gas get all the way to the top without lining the pipe with creosote, especially if you just bought
    a used stove, most likely not EPA approved. Next problem would be insurance should anything bad
    happen in the shop.
    I understand the class A is mucho expensive but so is the shop to any owner like me.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  6. Shurdel

    Shurdel

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2014
    Messages:
    187
    Likes Received:
    885
    Location:
    Southern PA
    I was going to run it through the wall and up the outside, maybe I an run it straight up and through the tin roof. That way I would need less chimney pieces.
     
  7. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Another less expensive alternative may be running the pipe as much inside your shop as you can and insulating the pipe to keep it as warm as possible until it goes outside.
    I'm sure there are issues with this as well but it did cross my mind.
     
  8. boxygen

    boxygen

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2014
    Messages:
    95
    Likes Received:
    243
    Location:
    Maine
    Track down some used insulated pipe on C list.
     
    BrianK likes this.
  9. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That's what I would do, because That's what I did , single wall inside ,ceiling box (my pole barn has a ceiling) and 2 pieces of class A, pipe ,was all I needed for the low pitch roof on the pole barn
     
    fox9988 and coal reaper like this.
  10. Shurdel

    Shurdel

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2014
    Messages:
    187
    Likes Received:
    885
    Location:
    Southern PA
    Another question. I want to put the stove a little closer to the wall. Right now it is open studs on the inside and sheet rock siding. Is there a type of backer board that I can get for the interior wall, so it can be a little closer? That will help with running the stove pipe straight up and not be so far into the shop.
     
  11. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
  12. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    My shop has no wood framing but I screwed two 4'x8' sheets of Hardieboard into the corner. This is about 7-1/2" from the wall insulation, I plan to add a second steel framed wall with the bottom open from the floor and a 1-2" space between the Hardieboard.
     

    Attached Files: