In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Insignia ID?

Discussion in 'As You Were' started by wildwest, Nov 21, 2019.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

The missing picture resurfaced thankfully. Any information appreciated. Is this kind of picture when one joins or one is dishcharged?

upload_2019-11-21_20-18-49.png

I found an id website that talks about chevrons, I do not see them here.

Knothead, brenndatomu and EODMSgt like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

upload_2019-11-21_20-22-19.png

Sorry for split post, cannot paste in edit mode.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Knothead, brenndatomu and EODMSgt like this.
  3. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Enlisted chevrons on the Army Class A uniform are sewn on the sleeve below the shoulder patch so they do not appear in the picture. This picture could have been for his graduation, a promotion, award, or for other official reasons. If he served during a war, we had to take photos like this before deploying so the unit could use them in the event we were MIA/KIA.

The shoulder patch is the US Army Signal Training School Class A Patch. Without knowing when he served, he could have been either at the U.S. Army Signal Training Center, U.S. Army Signal Training Command, or the U.S. Army Signal Center and School. Here is the general information regarding this patch:

U.S. ARMY SIGNAL CENTER AND FORT GORDON AND SCHOOL PATCH
    The Shoulder Sleeve Insignia worn today by personnel assigned to the United States Army Signal Center, Signal School, and Fort Gordon was originally approved only for the U.S. Army Signal Training Center on 14 April 1959. On 24 October 1960, it was redesignated for the U.S. Army Signal Training Command, followed two years to the day (almost) by another redesignation for the U.S. Army Signal Center and School. The last redesignation came in April 1975, when authorization to wear the insignia was extended to include Fort Gordon personnel.

A pair of crossed signal flags in the center of the insignia is taken from the Signal Corps insignia and symbolize the “wig wag” flags used during the Civil War and developed by Army Surgeon Albert J. Myer, who went on to become the first Chief Signal Officers in the United States Army. They are surmounted on a flaming torch that signifies the enlightenment gained through knowledge, alluding to the training in communications and electronics performed at the Signal School.

Signal Training School Class A Patch.jpg

The epaulet crest (top of shoulder) is the US Army Unit Crest for the Signal Center & School.

Insignia Description
    A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall consisting of the device of the school blazoned on a wreath of the colors (Argent and Tenné) with a dexter hand couped at the wrist, clenched palm affronté, grasping three forked lightning all Proper. The motto, "PRO PATRIA VIGILANS" (Watchful for the Country appears at the bottom within a three-layered scrolled banner.

Symbolism
    The shield and charge in the colors of the Signal Corps. The torch has a dual significance: a device of the Signal Corps and the emblem of knowledge of The Signal School. As indicated by the crest, the Signal Corps has grasped the lightning from the heavens and applied it to military communication.

4504896-2.jpg

I could not find an exact duplicate of his collar emblem however it is definitely the Signal Center & School crest.

The shoulder rope cord (aiguillette) appears to be something worn by military training leaders at technical training bases.

The emblem on his cap is the standard U.S. Army cap emblem.

Hope this helps!

Knothead, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I cannot express how much I appreciate this! I spent weeks pouring over what I could find to end up with little certainty. Much to unpack and learn about in your post.

Signal Corps makes a lot of sense with what little he would share about what he did in Viet Nam. Which is interesting because we were extremely close my entire life (amazing Dad, amazing man).

He served 1960-64 and was in Viet Nam, though I don't know when he was deployed. He enlisted after graduating High School, turning 18 y/o in June 1960 leading me to U.S. Army Signal Training Command.

He was at a Military Base in Washington State, then at some point they caravanned from there to San Diego to go to Viet Nam. From what I'm reading he must have trained in Ft Gordon at some point, I just don't recall him telling me. I know his car was in Washington when he left in 64'.

Again, thank you for taking the time and thought to look at this, I've been looking at the wrong Corps. So much to learn about from the information you gave.

O7

Knothead, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  5. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

More than happy to help! Military history is a passion of mine (and also what I have a degree in) and I enjoy helping others learn about their family's military past.

Knothead, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  6. Erik B

Erik B

wildwest Your dad may have gone to school at Ft. Monmouth, NJ, depending on his MOS. I was there at school in 68-69 time frame. I believe it was the Signal Corp headquarters during the Viet Nam war.
    I was one of the lucky ones who did not go to Nam. I was picked up as an instructor when I finished my training.

Knothead, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Ft Gordan is only about 60 miles from our home.

8. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Here is an official link with some interesting information regarding some of the (unclassified) missions the Signal Corps performed in Vietnam:

Getting the Message Through-Chapter 10 (army.mil)

Regarding where he was in Washinton state prior to deploying to Vietnam, I wouldn't be surprised if he had been at Fort Lewis (now called Joint Base Lewis-McChord). The Army conducted a lot of pre-deployment training there for personnel heading over to Vietnam.

9. Knothead

Knothead

I was stationed at Ft. Gordon Georgia in late 1972 and early 1973 for Signal School. I was only there a couple of months for training and really enjoyed my time there. Ft. Gordon was the U.S. Army Signal School during that time frame, with all types of communication/radio classes. I was a PFC in the USMC when I was training at Ft. Gordon, great memories. :usa:

wildwest, EODMSgt and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

Sure you can. Just have to click a couple more times.;)

Knothead, wildwest and T.Jeff Veal like this.