In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Input on wood floor options for kitchen.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by fishingpol, Aug 29, 2020.

1. papadave

papadave

Hey wildwest , thanks.
    All's well, been waaay too bizzy lately. I coulda' sworn I was retired. I've been wrong before though. :D
    Jon, I noticed that grain right away. Nice. Will "Operation Salvage" be a new thread?

2. fishingpol

fishingpol

I could start a new one. I have to get the hearth set in the next 30 days, so some tearing up will commence.

I picked up a nice nail puller until I found the little wire flooring staplebuggers that have teeth and like to snap off. These might be nail set and fill. I was hoping for just underlayment nails.

3. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Don't be affaid to mix speices up a little and use your imagination.

Attached Files:

4. fishingpol

fishingpol

I pulled the lino and underlayment tonight for the hearth install. I'd say no go on salvaging this floor. Lots of nails set well into the floor and small toothed fasteners from a pneumatic nailer that snap off on removal. Lots of cupping too. It has seen a lot of use over the years.

I'll get the hearth in and trim it out and go from there. Refill the popcorn bowls...

20201016_183248.jpg

5. billb3

billb3

My brother put some kind of (8inch ? ) wide plank pine board down in his kitchen/front entry way when he built the place on a shoestring budget 35 years ago. I didn't think the pine was a good choice for a kitchen/entryway with little kids but it has certainly stood up to family use. I think it was just plain clear yellow pine, nothing fancy or expensive.

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We did a cabin grade tigerwood floor in our kitchen, dining room and master bedroom. Looks really nice with the natural color oak cabinets we built. It is really hard. 1016202238.jpg 1016202239.jpg

7. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Wow! That’s a beautiful house! :thumbs::thumbs:

T.Jeff Veal and farmer steve like this.
  8. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

That’s awesome! Your kitchen is beautiful. I love the Hickory floor.

T.Jeff Veal and farmer steve like this.
  9. farmer steve

farmer steve

Thank you sir.:handshake: Breathed a lot of horsehair plaster dust to get it to that point.:hair:

10. papadave

papadave

Microwave on standby.....popcorn at the ready. I can have more here in a day or two if we start running low, but we keep it stocked pretty well for occasions such as this.

11. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Where you been Mister? :binoculars: It’s nice to have you back! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

12. papadave

papadave

Thanks Jack.
    Here and there. I pop in like a Ninja every once in a while........a really slow one, to see what's goin' on.
    Just about to put the Tyvek on the screened porch. Then, it'll be something else. Brother's coming over tomorrow to help work on his gun cab. That's been almost done for a while now. :picard:

13. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

late to the party, but I have random width wide plank T&G pine floors in my house with square head forged nails. It really takes a beating from my dogs nails, and additionally, I have had multiple issues with the nails popping up out of the boards. Sometimes I can set them back down, but sometimes they come back up and I pull them out.

Not sure if I am going to refinish or replace with a hardwood wide plank when I build the addition in a year or so, it will likely come down to budget.

A few pictures from the listing when I bought the house.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A fireplace sitting directly on the pine floor is to code, right? :loco: :crazy: I cant believe that the previous owners used it like that, and that my insurance agent after looking at the pictures signed off on a policy.

14. fishingpol

fishingpol

Nice look to it. That's a lotta ceiling ya got there. Very open.:yes:

brenndatomu and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  15. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Thanks, its definitely very open! Looking at those pictures really shows me just how beat up the floors are now 4.5 years later. The high traffic areas are bare in a few spots, as is the area around the dogs dishes. The pine is just too soft to stand up to the abuse it seems. The look is fantastic though.