In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Input on wood floor options for kitchen.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by fishingpol, Aug 29, 2020.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol

We are hoping by this winter to install new or reclaimed flooring in our kitchen.

Our last house had southern yellow heart pine flooring that we liked for the look and was pretty durable. I had re-finished it and put 4 coats of poly on it when we bought the house. It needed re-finishing once in the 20 years.

The floor in this old 1875 farmhouse is not too level. I can remove the old lino, 1/4" plywood and original flooring to get to the subfloor.

I am wondering if anyone has a particular wood they are happy with. We are going for a classic farmhouse look. No engineered flooring or pre-finished for the kitchen. It will take a beating and I want to be able to re-finish it down the road if needed. I am curious about the width too. I'd like a wide plank floor versus the narrow flooring in the rest of the house.

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Will you surface reclaimed wood? Or look for relatively flat surfaced boards? Face nail or would you T & G the edges? I like the plugged face nailed look myself.
    You always do great work Jon, so I’ll be following this thread for sure! :thumbs:

3. fishingpol

fishingpol

I have planed reclaimed heart pine in the last house in an upstairs hall renovation. Pulling the angled flooring nails was a PITA. Using reclaimed is a possibility, but spendy.

Most likely t & g. Square edge would probably not lay flat. The wood stove will be in the kitchen, so humidity and air temp will fluctuate.

Pegged would be good. Rose head square nails would be gooder aesthetically. If I only knew where to get square nails...:whistle:

FB market place has all sorts of sawn planks from local guys with band mills.

I'll need some :popcorn: to follow my own thread.

4. fishingpol

fishingpol

These are local in stock options.

Red pine, which I like a lot.

Screenshot_20200829-142124_Chrome.jpg

Heart pine. Had it in the last house. Liked it a lot.

Screenshot_20200829-142129_Chrome.jpg

Fir, ok but not a fan of the vertical grain.

Screenshot_20200829-142157_Chrome.jpg

5. farmer steve

farmer steve

Reclaimed oak for durability. We have a guy that resaws barn beams into flooring nearby. Does the T&G too. We used random width in our living room in our 1860's farmhouse. I'll try and get some pics.

6. papadave

papadave

Pretty sure we recently stocked up on :popcorn:.................

7. farmer steve

farmer steve

fishingpol. Only pic I have on my phone from when we had it refinished. Some type of pine I believe. 20181105_145705.jpg

8. fishingpol

fishingpol

I'm sure that oak is a nice product. We are not picky on width, random lengths, etc...

9. fishingpol

fishingpol

Very nice look, beautiful room and flooring!

10. fishingpol

fishingpol

Watch them buttery fingers...lol.

11. farmer steve

farmer steve

:handshake:

12. lukem

lukem

I have 3/4"x5" solid hickory with natural finish in most of my house now....still need to do another 250 sq ft to finish out a couple bedrooms. It is hard stuff....holds up well. The great thing about a natural finish is if it gets dinged up there's more hickory underneath.

13. fishingpol

fishingpol

I remember your pics of the flooring and it looked great. I agree on solid flooring. The kitchen will take a beating. Stove hearth is going to be Vermont slate.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And it looks awesome...tough as nails too!
    In our kitchen I actually used a laminate that is meant to look like wide planks...Boston Plank I think it was called...price was right on it, good thing too, as the floor was the last part of the remodel and the budget was almost toast.

15. J bird

J bird

upload_2020-8-30_14-0-33.jpeg

We did hickory in our farm house. We wanted the color variation and the knots. It’s the second grade so if you wanted less knots you could get the higher grade. We finished with a oil based clear poly and love it. It’s super hard , we have 4 dogs , 3 kids , and the in-laws all in the house. So far it’s holding up very well. We did the whole hose in it except the bathrooms we did in tile.

16. lukem

lukem

That's pretty much what I have....character grade hickory.

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My FIL built his kitchen cabinets from hickory...so hard he had to predrill for the screws...and still snapped some off! Looks great though!
    Love the floor! :thumbs:

18. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

As others noted, lots of options. Floating looks like wood flooring, tile that looks like wood planks, etc.

In my old house I installed hand scraped wide Brazilian Teak flooring that I really liked. If you look at the Janka scale its about twice as hard as Hickory. Tough to cut, but its very durable with a cool grain and color pattern. It wasn't all that expensive either, and with about 5-5.5" planks, it went down pretty quickly.

19. fishingpol

fishingpol

Preparing for a wood stove install estimate next week and I got into a corner where an old cabinet was taken out. It looks like 3 1/4" wide maple. Looks like some birdseye grain too.

This may turn into a salvage operation. I'll have to take a 1/3 of the floor up to level it. The plywood is nailed every 4", most likely with underlayment nails on the perimeter. There will be a lot of small holes. The color looks good too. No planing to get to raw wood. We don't mind character...

20200831_191415.jpg

20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi, been missing you, guess I did not read the threads you've been on. Hope you are well :)