In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Input Needed: What You Should Be Doing in February

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Grizzly Adam, Feb 2, 2014.

  1. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Working on the outline of my February video. What should we be doing this month as it pertains to saws, equipment, stoves, firewood, etc?
     
  2. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    #1
    Enjoying the wonderful wood heat :)

    Always be ready to get more wood when opportunity presents itself.
     
  3. Pyroholic

    Pyroholic

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    880
    Likes Received:
    3,039
    Location:
    mid michigan
    In February I am impatiently awaiting warm weather.
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  4. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    With frost in the ground, it's a great time to skid logs out of the woods.
     
    Scotty Overkill and HoneyFuzz like this.
  5. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Not much different for me really. Still burning of course,waiting to get in the woods for another day or two of cutting when weather/work schedule allows it.Coldest days of the month I keep burning the White Oak/Hickory.Almost out of that Honey Locust & have just a little Mulberry left.Hope to get more of both this Spring/Summer,that will sit for 15-18 months after its brought home.
     
  6. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    After a cold snap of hard burning and with this warm up. Us pellet heads usually do a full blown cleaning. Leaf blower blown that is! :D
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  7. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Did a few things today, mostly weather permitting and the stove is out.

    1.) Did a full sweep of the liner, inspected cap and flue cover.
    2.) Cleaned firebox out completely.
    3.) Reset the door glass as I was getting some darkening of the glass in one corner. Glass clips were not quite snug and the glass had a little movement in it.
    4.) Lubed the start up lever in the lower end of the door that has been sticking. No, I did not use dry-moly.
    5.) General wipe down of the stove and vacuumed up dust bunnies in the chimney opening behind the stove.
    6.) Brushed out ash from around the fettle and ashlip.
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  8. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    My wood processing area is behind my office parking lot, and I pull downed trees out of the wood lot behind my office. Once we get snow and the parking lot gets plowed I can't do much with the wood processing area till spring thaw.
     
  9. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Well said !! Saws are already clean and ready to go .......just need opportunity !!
     
  10. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Thanks everyone. Still not too late to get your two cents in.
     
  11. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    February, Well, enjoying wood heat. It is cold and "this is what I live for".:)
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  12. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Well, in a few short weeks I'll be cooking maple syrup! I have some small vids already o my YouTube page, Adam. ...and some more from years past that I could upload if you like. Along with that we'll be doing a charity cut for my one buddy who was in a bad car accident. Going to try and get him some standing dead maple ash and elm to get him through til spring. The extended cold snap we had really sapped his wood supply (he has an OWB).
     
  13. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,630
    Location:
    IN
    I like to change oil on all of my equipment, sharpen mower blades, etc while its still winter. Things get busy real quick with the garden, baseball, etc so I don't want use up my valuable time once spring hits.
     
  14. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I'm gearing up for maple syrup time and I am going to turn my 50 gallon drum into a syrup boiler. I really can't wait!
     
    Grizzly Adam likes this.
  15. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I got a drum of some sort out in the garage, maybe 20 gal? Pretty sure it had/has grease in it.
     
  16. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I'm starting to gear up for the spring skid… er slide. I'm just now feeling like slowly getting back at stuff… took my worst flop (and I've taken hundreds of good ones in the past) at the beginning of Jan down some icy steps. Dumb. My son loves to work with the Suzuki, changing over to tracks, and he said he'd have time next week. Once done, we'll be talking about heading to the cabin for a few "clean up Dad's mess" trips, maybe get some stuff burned, and, start thinking about dropping and hauling my "3rd" year supply of wood out back here at home. Looks like we're getting some more snow. About another foot or two would help a lot to smooth out the trail down back.
     
  17. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Final product.