In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Input Needed on CB 6048 Overheating

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Josh1450, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Josh1450

Josh1450

I need some input and advice. On Friday I came home from work to my OWB spitting out steam from the top vent. The water was boiling and appeared to have been doing so for awhile. Based upon the sight glass, half the water evaporated out. I got some water in it and got it cooled down, but curious on anything I should be looking at in terms of damage?

My best guess is the solenoid valve on the damper failed and didn't shut. I tested it with a multi meter and based upon the specs in the owners manual, and it appears to be bad. I have ordered a replacement, should be here today.

Anything else I need to be looking at? My door seal appears to be good and I don't see any leaks or obstructions on/around the damper. I had it running this weekend when I was around and could keep an eye on it with no problems, the damper shut every time.

I am hoping the new solenoid valve fixes the problem, more concerned about the damage the overheating may have caused.

yooperdave likes this.
  2. Josh1450

Josh1450

I put the new solenoid on last night, not sure why I called it a "valve" yesterday in my post, clearly its not a valve, brain fart I guess.

Anyway, everything seems to be working....

yooperdave, Chaz and amateur cutter like this.
  3. lukem

lukem

As long as it's still holding water you probably didn't do any long term damage. Damper probably got stuck open. Make sure you keep your new one lubricated, as well as the linkages to the damper plate.

Farmchuck, yooperdave, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said! I use PB on mine because it's non flammable.

yooperdave and Chaz like this.
  5. Jon_E

Jon_E

I used to have that happen on occasion with my old CL5648. Solenoid fried >>> damper sticks >>> everything boils. I went through several solenoids. Not really any damage to speak of though.

Edit: For outdoor lubrication I use Fluid Film in an aerosol can. It is, bar none, the best stuff I have used to keep things moving and beat rust too. I am not sure about using it in a high-heat application, however. Specs say it is combustible at 405°F.

Farmchuck and yooperdave like this.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave

I assume it is not at the proper fill level-so you can check for leaks (wet spots) inside the firebox. Or clumping ashes. With the water boiling and spitting out, you probably had enough water to cover the firebox and saved warpage. Hope so. Unexplained clumping ashes or dark stained ashes be on the lookout for also.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  7. Josh1450

Josh1450

Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears I avoided disaster. I have had no wet spots or clumping ashes in the firebox and it appears to be holding water.

Thanks for the lubrication advice.

yooperdave likes this.
  8. nsmaple

nsmaple

I would have thought they would have designed that so if a solenoid or motor failed, it would fail closed.

yooperdave likes this.
  9. lukem

lukem

They tried to, but the rod gets stuck...hence the need for lubrication.

10. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Fluid Film is top notch stuff!!!!!!! It all I use on my solenoid. Last a long time after application.:thumbs: