In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Impulse purchases,...thought I swore them off, and then...

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Beetle-Kill, Jun 18, 2014.

  1. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Just picked up a Ruger 10/22 takedown, camo stock, threaded barrel w/ flash suppressor. I didn't mean to, but I did. Fill you in later after the wife goes to bed, she doesn't know yet..hehehehehe.
     
  2. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    She's not paying attention, so here goes-
    Had to go down to Denver, pick up tread pans and doors for the shop. I was in the neighborhood of a shop I've talked to, just not been in. Soooo..I decide to stop in.
    I look at the inventory. Owner comes out and we chat. I look at the Saiga 12's, the various Glocks, the " whatever's", then I ask about the 10/22 take downs. He grabs one off the rack (right in front of me), and we work it over. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!!!!! Camo stock, SS barrel, a bag of goodies, 25 rnd mag included-disassembled due to current Colorado law.- etc. I haven't even gone through the whole kit yet.
    I left it in the work truck, I'll go through it tomorrow. But..
    When I fondled it, I said "Set me up."- before tax and background check, it ran me $ 343.00. Plus he threw in a 5-pack of 12G. rubber Bear deterent loads.
    I checked GB, seems like the price was not out of line. Thought? Thanks, JB
     
    concretegrazer and Certified106 like this.
  3. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    My thoughts are of your buttocks...when the wife takes a bite out of it.
    Other than that it sounds like a nice piece.
    I've never owned a 12ga, pistols only.
    When you get a chance can you take a pic??
     
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Yes, pics if u can. (Plus a pic of your wife's face when you tell her, just in case you wind up missing:rofl: :lol:) Sounds like a good deal!
     
    concretegrazer and Beetle-Kill like this.
  5. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    This thing is only a Ruger 10/22. It is a takedown version, has it's own soft case-(about the size of a Camelback) For a .22 LR, it feels really nice.
    She just went upstairs, so I'll have a bit of time tonight to mess with it, before I have to put it back in the truck before she wakes up. ;)
    I'll let you guy's know my likes/ dislikes. So far so good, but I'll have to work it to be sure. It was an impulse purchase.
     
  6. foragefarmer

    foragefarmer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,479
    Likes Received:
    4,567
    Location:
    Central, Virginia
    I don't understand. If you own guns you have to own a 10/22 at one time or other. It isn't an option you had to do it.:D:whistle: I have had the same one since I was 12. :thumbs:
     
  7. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
    One of the guys I work with somehow or other managed to buy four 10/22s last year:eek: We were talking about it the other day and said hes not really sure how it happened but he did it and hasnt even fired three of them. He also bought a Ruger Mini-14 and several handguns he was just about buying a gun every week for a while there.
     
    clemsonfor, Beetle-Kill and mdavlee like this.
  8. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Truth be told, I've probably owned about 2 dozen 10/22's over the years. I'd shoot 'em a little, then get bored and modify them. Eventually, someone would ask-"How much?" and off it'd go.
    This one will stay pretty much stock, except for a bit of trigger work, maybe shorten the LOP an inch or so, touch up some rough edges but that's about it. I like it pretty much as is. Off to the range tomorrow after work.
     
  9. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Quick update- once the tension ring is set, it shoots like every other 10/22 I've shot. Butler Creek mags, and the Ruger BX-25 all ran the same.
    These are about the most consistent rifles I've run across.
     
    mattjm1017 likes this.
  10. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I have a takedown and LOVE IT! once you set the tension ring I can take the barrel on and off time after time and the scope will hold zero every time! They were well built and well thought out and should hold up and last as long as any other 10/22 out there.
     
    Beetle-Kill and mattjm1017 like this.
  11. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
    Yall have just about got me talked into getting the takedown instead of the regular 10/22
     
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  12. Highbeam

    Highbeam

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2014
    Messages:
    1,985
    Likes Received:
    6,463
    Location:
    Cascade Foothills, wet side of WA
    This is so true. First gun I ever bought with my first paycheck at 16 years old from a pawn shop. Still have it 21 years later. Just got a second one in SS.