In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ignore Forums

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Support' started by bushpilot, Aug 1, 2015.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

just looking for my "new posts" and realized....hey....there's that "ignore" thingy....
    awesome job grizz
    :yes:

Stinny and wildwest like this.
  2. HDRock

HDRock

Samsung s4 using Chrome, shows up different than it does on the tablet
    horizontal

Screenshot_2015-08-02-23-03-26.png

Vertical

Screenshot_2015-08-02-23-03-13.png

3. HDRock

HDRock

Screenshot_2015-08-02-23-20-20.png

4. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

It's good now.:thumbs:

5. RockyFordOak78

RockyFordOak78

Shows up third in the list when sideways. I don't care for using it that way, but whatever works for the group works for me.

Attached Files:

6. Jon1270

Jon1270

I really appreciate the new feature, but that bar is getting to look quite cluttered and random. It's such prime real-estate, and I would think you'd want to save it for buttons used very frequently. Watched Forums, Watched Threads and New Posts all make sense to me. The rest are just in the way. I say this just as a bit of feedback, and out of curiosity whether others might feel the same way. I don't mean to make more work for you, Grizzly; it seems possible that having too much stuff there could trigger just as many tech support inquiries as not having enough.

MasterMech and concretegrazer like this.
  7. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Jon-- I know what you mean, but there needs to be links to manage Ignored Threads and Forums and this is the only logical place for them, that is why the designer placed them there, right next to watched threads and forums. There is no better place to put them. It's not like I am just filling of the quicknav bar with random things-- everything there belongs there, under the forums tab because it is the stuff the user needs to manage the forums. This is the first thing that has been added to the quicknav bar that wasn't part of what comes standard with xenforo. Adding to links isn't going to hurt anyone and I think in a couple weeks everyone will be over it. People want new features, sometimes they have to accept the changes that were requested.

Stinny likes this.
  8. Jon1270

Jon1270

I obviously disagree, at least with the notion that those links need to be on every forum page, but I'm just one person with an opinion and not trying to to pretend any sort of authority. Thanks for all the work you do here.

9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I have a silly question... Since this is the first forum that I seen this on or even be introduced to it. It took me a bit to understand bookmarks too..:emb: ... What advantage's is there to these to tabs? I guess I'm kinda of simple minded or in the dark about some of this stuff....:emb:

wildwest likes this.
  10. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Sorry Jon, didn't mean to direct that whole thing at you-- it started off as a reply to you and ended up being a grumpy rant.

Bottom line, everyone, is that we can have the ignore forum and threads function with the added buttons to manage them, or we can not have it. These are our options.

Chvy, basically it removed unwanted thread and forums from your new posts and the forum list as a whole. Like they don't exist. Some people want this feature because of all of our forums that aren't necessarily about wood.

bushpilot likes this.
  11. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

This thread got me to thinking, how does the 'ignore user' feature work? Is it like a Facebook 'block'? IE, they don't see me, and I don't see them either? I mean, if some jerk chooses to ignore me, then I want to ignore them too!

Perhaps a good feature to have, would be a 'butthurt threshold'. Here's how it would work: every time someone doesn't click 'like', or comment fast enough on my threads, or they make a critical comment, or I just take it the wrong way, then that would increase the user's 'butthurt index'. Once that index surpasses my 'butthurt threshold', then that user would automatically move into my 'ignored' list. Obviously this threshold would need to be adjustable, to accommodate very sensitive users vs ones with thicker skin or a better sense of humor.

...Because what I've really been missing on this site, is all the "Facebook Drama" that I thought I left behind when I deactivated my account there. :picard::doh: :mad:Sorry for the sarcastic rant. I don't actually want or like any of these features.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  12. bushpilot

bushpilot

Never used Facebook, and never will. I imagine that this is just a Facebook rant, and not a rant against the new features here, as well as "ignore user" as implemented here?

Because, frankly I really like the "ignore forum" feature, and I can see situations where "ignore user" will come in handy. As an example, the new military forums have no value or interest to me (I am anti-war, just saying, not trying to start a discussion on that), and I don't want to filter through them. Rather than ignore them myself, I can have the software do it for me. :thumbs:

Greg

Shawn Curry likes this.
  13. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Ok, I guess I can understand that. I didn't really see those as being political. If I felt like any of the forums here were politically oriented, I would certainly ignore them, whether we had this feature or not.

Im sorry for the angry, sarcastic display there. I guess I thought you were probably looking for the ignore user feature. And when I think about the folks we have around here, that kind of rubs me the wrong way and I become defensive. It feels to me like we have a nice, peaceful community here free from the drama found on other social media. I can't think of anyone here that I'd want to ignore. :)

14. Jon1270

Jon1270

Regardless of the presence or absence of political drama, there are a lot of areas here where the discussion has nothing to do with the site's nominal subject matter (i.e. firewood). The fact that there are so many sub-forums makes the New Posts button attractive, but for any given user that is likely to bring along a lot of unwanted stuff. This 'ignore forum' feature is really just a tool for customizing one's FHC feed.

Shawn Curry and bushpilot like this.
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

We certainly have grown well-beyond the original scope of the "project". But a political forum is something we will never see here.

UncleJoe, Stinny, Shawn Curry and 2 others like this.
  16. Jon1270

Jon1270

Oh that it were so simple. As my professor in the one politics course I took said on the first day, everything is politics. Not every topic is high-stakes, but you've got a whole forum dedicated to guns, and baiting comments about global warming are tossed in regularly. Wherever people disagree about resources and regulation, you've got politics. The best you can do is have good moderators and cultivate an atmosphere of mutual respect.

MasterMech and Shawn Curry like this.
  17. savemoney

savemoney

I've been on this forum from its beginning. Important to stick to basics. That is what makes this a great family place. If I want to chime in on something, I do, if I don't want that, I don't. I like the categories and the ability to import pictures and smiley faces. One of the most common things I've seen here is that this forum's members aren't afraid of a little work. Personally, I don't feel the need to have selective screeners. Seems too close to the phone block features I use to block telemarketers. Our member's contributions are not comparable to that. All the postings have their own values to someone. We do have some rules. Keep it reasonably clean, take the politics elsewhere.

Stinny, Shawn Curry and Chvymn99 like this.
  18. bushpilot

bushpilot

As Jon1270 suggests, everything is political. Cutting trees and burning wood are "political," but I think we are largely in agreement on them :thumbs:.

Regarding "ignore user," there was a user recently banned that I would have ignored, if he hadn't been. So far no need to use that one, but it is nice to have available.

Greg

Shawn Curry likes this.
  19. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Ignore user comes standard with our forum software, that is not something that we've implemented. It's a feature that I would never use.

20. Jon1270

Jon1270

:D
    Even if you wanted to, it would be problematic if moderators couldn't see the antics of problem users. Seeing everything is a burden you must bear. Guess that's why they pay you the big bucks.:D