In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I wonder?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Pete Zahria, Nov 16, 2015.

1. gbreda

gbreda

Plus, even with oil cheaper, the sound of the oil monster running still makes me cringe :rofl: :lol:

Its running right now and I dont like it at all :tears:

2. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Very similar plan here!!
    Makes sense to me too...

Dan

3. gbreda

gbreda

I was into R/C flying maybe 35 years ago for a while. It was fun but expensive for a 20ish year old and my last landing wasnt so good... :rofl: :lol:

I tried small helicopters a few years ago, but of course I didnt go the correct path of double blades to get use to it. I went right to a small single blade helicopter. I got the hang of it a bit in the garage but it was too small for any kind of outdoor flying. I still have that setup (Blade MSI and a DX6i controller) and would like to give it another try. Time is way to short lately-any pointers on what to try for a good trainer heli would be appreciated. There is a Hobby Town going in to a new strip mall next year-that could be dangerous to the wallet as up till now I had to travel at least an hour for a decent hobby shop.

ttdberg, will711, funflyer and 2 others like this.
  4. funflyer

funflyer

It's been a while since I flew my helis, about two years, and even longer since I've been in a club where I kept up with the latest and greatest. That said, Iwould recommend you get a flight simulator. Realflight is as good as it gets and many of the planes and helis on there are modeled after ones that are available in the shops or online. It's not cheap but will definitely pay for itself over and over while you are learning to fly. I've seen guys bust up big $$$$ in parts just learning to fly. Also, grab a few beers and read through the RC Universe forums.

CleanFire, ttdberg and gbreda like this.
  5. gbreda

gbreda

Yeah, funny how time gets away from us playing with stuff when we get older and then we get even older and want to get back to it again.

I do have Phoenix RC simulator, but that really didnt make a whole lot of difference in transferring over to the real thing. Maybe the one you mentioned is different?

I do know that the little Blade MSI heli is not the best to learn on. Maybe some time on the forums will help :yes:

CleanFire, ttdberg and will711 like this.
  6. funflyer

funflyer

I agree, they're basically a toy for the living room and have a mind of their own, very unpredictable. You'd be better off with something like a T-Rex 250 or larger.

CleanFire, ttdberg and gbreda like this.
  7. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

I raced R/C oval cars on carpet for a long time... the guy that owned the Hobby shop told me once that
    if you want to get started in Helicopters, plan on spending an extra couple hundred after your
    first day.. for repairs..
    I took his words as probly pretty close to real, give or take a hundred or so!!
    And... he also did recommend a sim..

As for the expense... I know they can be expensive, but r/c carpet oval
    is a disease!! I could have bought pellets for everyone here for the season.
    (almost)

[​IMG]

Dan

8. PelletHound

PelletHound

I used to work in a place that also had a hobby shop.One day while I was working I heard a strange noise outside.I looked out the overhead door and saw the owner of the hobby shop teaching a class on copter flying.Much to my horror he was hovering a Kyosho helicopter directly over my 1 week old pickup truck.He knew what he was doing so no harm done but 2 days later he smashed that heli to bits in the parking lot so you never know. :eek:

9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

My son and I RC. We got a few 1/10 and 1/8th scale trucks(nitro and electric). A 1/5 scale gas tops the collection, Plus a couple of 1/18 trucks too.

I personally have been doing it since my teens. I bought a cox on road tether car when I was 14. Moved to 1/10 carpet ovals in my 20's. Still got a few bolinks and a 1/10 gas scale . Stopped when I got married. Once my son was born I had an excuse to return. We took a break once he got full bore into fishing. Pops only has so much $$. But we still have our trucks and take em out every once in a while.

An addicting hobby for sure.

10. bogieb

bogieb

Are you guys still speaking English or did you wonder off to some other language? :confused::)

11. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

:rofl: :lol:

CleanFire, artc, will711 and 2 others like this.
  12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Its another language and it usually blows out the wallet when ya speak it.

13. bogieb

bogieb

:rofl: :lol:

14. gbreda

gbreda

I am thinking that the opening of a Hobby Town 10 minutes from home may be dangerous to my wallet :doh:

15. funflyer

funflyer

In the RC world we call it "the chicken dance" and I've seen it happen on a few occasions . I've seen men cry like babies when this happens. One guy I flew with danced the chicken more than once, to the tune of over 10K before he went mad. Watch if you dare :hair:...The Chicken Dance....:hair:

Luneyburg, CleanFire and gbreda like this.
  16. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!!

Stop_-Dont-Do-It_-Stay-Away_3.jpg

Dan

17. gbreda

gbreda

Well, since I dont drink beer, I have more money to spend on other stuff...

Justification at its best :D

18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Just take up other forms of drinkin, You'll only end up there anyway! Skip right straight to it! :whistle:

:doh:

19. gbreda

gbreda

Been there, done that, dont need another T shirt :rofl: :lol:........................:whistle:

CleanFire, ttdberg, will711 and 2 others like this.
  20. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

yeah,but ya prolly drink likker.

Luneyburg and CleanFire like this.