In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I thought I knew

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Sep 4, 2020.

  1. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,098
    Likes Received:
    42,971
    Location:
    NJ
    So when these logs got dropped off I thought for sure they were sugar maple. Now that I’m cutting it, I’m having doubts. Doesn’t feel too dense. What do you all think?
     

    Attached Files:

  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,784
    Likes Received:
    215,170
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    First pic looks like sugar based on bark and wood inside. Second pic left me in doubt?
     
  3. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,147
    Likes Received:
    163,457
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Does look Maple-ish...silver maybe?
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chaz, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  4. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,261
    Likes Received:
    54,117
    Location:
    NC
    I agree that first pic looks like sugar bark and wood and 2nd is ?
    Old Red Maple can have bark like that as well as Silver.
    Been ages since I cut Silver Maple, but I cut down and old Red Maple yesterday and was surprised at how hard the wood was compared to other Red Maple I have cut. Probably depends on what kind of life it’s had and size of rings.
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chaz, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  5. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,261
    Likes Received:
    54,117
    Location:
    NC
    I would also add I have had a log dropped off that I thought was red oak until I cut it up. It was 50’ of Blackgum. What a nightmare splitting that crap.
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,784
    Likes Received:
    215,170
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Ive noticed the same around here.
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chaz, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  7. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,487
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Same here. The second could be red, Norway, or silver.
     
  8. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,098
    Likes Received:
    42,971
    Location:
    NJ
    Strong dislike on that! And at quick glance, it’s easy to get them mixed up
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chaz, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  9. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,098
    Likes Received:
    42,971
    Location:
    NJ
    It’s definitely not silver. I cut plenty of that
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chaz, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  10. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,098
    Likes Received:
    42,971
    Location:
    NJ
    Exactly!
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chaz, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  11. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,650
    Likes Received:
    130,687
    Location:
    Vermont
    First pic sugar
    2nd is old red maple my guess
     
  12. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,487
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    That's probably correct.