In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I think I’m gonna need a wagon.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sandhillbilly, Mar 24, 2020.

1. dahmer

dahmer

Or build a log arch and haul everything to one area for all your bucking and loading.

2. Reloader

Reloader

[​IMG]
    This works fine here. I put a piece of plywood on the bottom because it just had mesh and I was thinking it wouldn’t take much abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

That’s another one I’ve been looking at, or possibly the double axle like Backwoods Savage has

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Actually the Backwoods Savage has a single axle and it works very well. I highly doubt that most people would not need a double axle.

dahmer likes this.
  5. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Oops got that turned around.
    So you’re saying that you would recommend the double?

dahmer and Backwoods Savage like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I don't recommend the double. That single axle load below I ended up hauling through a bunch of mud but had no problem. Atv cut in worse than the trailer. That thing just seems to float on top!

Another load 12-31-14.JPG

dahmer and Ronaldo like this.
  7. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Thanks

dahmer and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. Buttercup

Buttercup

7F1BE890-24A8-4336-B3D8-3F2F38BE48BA.jpeg 31A7AF4A-2313-4454-9B95-660F37479A1E.jpeg 12734824-AED1-43CC-9F1F-948BA3DCC900.jpeg This is one I got for little to nothing. It’s 4x8 and can easily haul about half a rick. As a matter of fact that’s what’s on it in the picture. It can very well hold more. I think it’s a golf cart trailer or something it tilts, so who knows it works for me right now.

dahmer, Hinerman and Sandhillbilly like this.
  9. jo191145

jo191145

A double articulated axle will float over bumps easier if that’s a concern. Less jostling of the load.

On my little trailer I widened the axle and slapped on some big lawn tractor tires. The narrow wheelbarrow tires I found useless. Mostly because the high center of gravity fully loaded and narrow width would flip over in ruts. Flipped it on its first load coming out of the woods :)
    As Dennis said I’ve noticed it’ll flatten out the deeper aggressive tracks from the atv in wet lawn. A plus.
    B9388C2C-C6D6-4844-83F1-9B857F098ADC.jpeg

Sandhillbilly and dahmer like this.
  10. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I don't have a 4 wheeler, but I do have a ton of experience with heavy duty garden tractors and have used many different trailers behind them to fetch firewood.

This is my current go to trailer. It is a Canadian made Supertilt. It dumps hydraulically, is 4'W x 6'L, and is rated at 2000 lbs. Ive had more like 3000 lbs in it on numerous occasions. Its built very heavy duty, weighing 850 lbs empty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a trailer I made. Approx, 42"W x 6'L. Also dumps. It has a 2000 lb axle, but Ive had more than that in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lawn carts most people have are ok for around the yard, but on rough terrain woods, they would likely tip over, get flats, or just plain give out. This is about as tough a little yard cart as any company makes. Its a Case/Ingersoll OEM cart. Rated at 1000 lbs with a full 1" axle, most bigger yard carts have a 3/4" axle. I still wouldnt take it into the woods too much.

[​IMG]

Here is a Country Manufacturing tandem axle cart. Has nice big wide tires, and is rated at 2500 lbs. They also have a big 4x8 model rated at 4000 lbs, that can be had in a wagon or a tandem cart. For the money these are hard to beat. Most off road carts this size and capacity are 2-3 times the price. Berkelmans Welding, Woodland Mills, King Kutter, DR, Booski, all nice, but $$$.

[​IMG]

For going in the woods, you want a few key features.

Wide tires, to help in traversing mud and avoid leaving ruts
    Tandem walking beam axle to help walk over rocks, ruts, stumps, etc
    Big weight capacity, as big as your ATV will safely tow anyways. This will enable less trips/more productivity with each trip
    Ability to dump. May not care with an ATV, but a tractor could power a hydraulic cylinder in the future.

With this in mind I would recommend a Country Manufacturing trailer. They have several models to choose from. They are not the best trailers around, but for what you pay, I doubt you'll find a better deal unless you find a high quality brand used for cheap money like I did with the Supertilt. CM also offers "specials" pretty often giving even better deals. Buyer beware, Northern Tool used to sell similar trailers that had a lot of issues. Everyone thought they were getting a CM at a dirt cheap price, but they were really buying an inferior product from another company.

ATV Trailers | Made in The USA by Country MFG.

Sandhillbilly, dahmer and Hinerman like this.