In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I need a tractor, help me choose well

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by bushpilot, Nov 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Blstr88

Blstr88

Who do you use up in your area? Is there a Kubota dealer nearby, or do you need to travel south to MB?

2. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Poor fellar went to eat turkey day dinner and gonna come back and commit hari kari.

3. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I wasn't happy with MB, that's just me. They "failed" to tell me about all the rebates I could've gotten after I asked if that was the final price on my bota. I was emailing multiple dealers when I was purchasing to get the best deal. Ended up going with chaplain valley equipment, Alonzo was my salesman and I was very pleased. It's a bit of a drive but we worked out deals if they needed to come out here to my area.

I think I asked before, what area you in here in NH?

4. Well Seasoned

Exactly why I posted that! :D

bushpilot, whatever you think you'll need try and get straight away. They run buy an implement, the loader is 1, get 2nd %off, third, even more % off etc

5. Blstr88

Blstr88

Ah I see, I have no experience with MB but just know they're the biggest Kubota dealer around. That's too bad to hear, you think they'd want to tell customers about the rebates...I assume they're paid by Kubota, not the dealer? And then they just end up with more happy/repeat customers down the road...

I'm in Tuftonboro, on the north side of Lake Winni...about 1.5 hours south of you. I am up your way pretty often though, between coming up that way for work now and then and I also have a friend with a camp in Columbia we go to a lot in winters for snowmobiling. If only I could convince my wife I'd move futher up your way in a heartbeat, I love it up there. I used to think where I am was very rural and "northern New Hampshire" but after living here and spending time up in Coos County I would love to be further north! More and more people moving to the Lakes Region and its starting to get over crowded for my tastes.

6. Well Seasoned

That was just my experience with them. Maybe the salesman forgot I dunno, but in the end champlain valley was who I went with.

You'll have to look out for my annual g2g, it's always a great time. Yes it's quiet up here. I work a hair below Littleton, considered the big city up here lol.

Hammy, Chazsbetterhalf, Maina and 4 others like this.
  7. Well Seasoned

8. bushpilot

bushpilot

OK, I'm back - what a mess you guys made of this thread while I was gone! ;);)

You have given me a lot to look at, thanks! Keep it coming, very helpful.

Dealers - I have reasonable (one hour) access to Kubota, LS, John Deere, and Mahindra.

9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

AH yes attachments Root grapple,rockhound ,auger,6",12",24"and 36"bits,smooth bucket,tooth bucket,hyd brush,mower TM splitter, forks,trailer mover I cannot decide on my favorite but snowblower is coming soon Merry Christmas to me!! Too many to decide ?? something else to hoard :picard::thumbs:

10. bushpilot

bushpilot

I never knew of LS before reading your post (city boy that I am). I did a little online research, and they are a bit cheaper than Kubota. Thanks, I will pull them into my research bucket as well.

11. Blstr88

Blstr88

Yeah they're a bit lesser known - when I was researching to buy they were really just moving into the market. They've been making tractors for other manufacturers for years (New Holland as I mentioned, but others as well) but only relatively recently started selling direct.

They have a pretty good reputation and following over on Tractorbynet and Ive been mostly happy with mine. The price was hard to beat at the time, I paid around $13,000 for it brand new with loader. And I managed to get the 2023H which was the last in that size they made that was pre-emissions, so absolutely no emissions equipment on it which I like.

There are 2 dealers and both are about 1.5 hour drive for me. Its not a huge deal since its so easy to just order most parts and filters online which is what I do, but on the rare occasion I need to bring it in for work its a little bit of a drive. So far Ive had to bring it in twice, once for an oil leak which ended up being from a dented oil pan that I caused and did not realize...the other was a leak in the front axle seal, and they repaired it under warranty.

Hammy, Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and 3 others like this.
  12. Slocum

Slocum

I have a L3301 Kubota. Part of my reasoning for this size was tractor width. If you go much larger the tractor is going to get wider. I didn’t want that for trail purposes. Like most have said quick attach is a must. Also quick hitch for the 3 point is also a must In my opinion. Not sure if Kubota offers the package deals up your way but that’s what I went with. Tractor,18’ trailer, 60” bush hog and a 60” box blade came with mine. 23.5K. I also have 3 point forks, 3 point 72” grader blade, a 72” front mounted snow box, 8’ disk. FEL forks. 3 point trailer mover converted to log Skidder. Also have a 3 point winch.
    Getting extra remote hydraulics is something I’d do like others have said. Also adding weight to rear tires is no joke if you plan to do anything with FEL. I’d also invest in tire chains if I were you. Wish you luck on your purchase. I studied specs for 3 years before I pulled the trigger. Looking back I could have did a hell of a lot of work in those 3 years if I would have just bought it!!

Hammy, Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and 4 others like this.
  13. Maina

Maina

L2501 here and I’m extremely happy with it. It’s a great size for what you’re talking about, and right in your price range. Once you get a tractor you’ll wonder how you got along so long without it.

Hammy, Jack Straw, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  14. Thor

Thor

This thread makes me want to trade in my little LT160 lawn mower and get a tractor.

Hammy, eatonpcat, Jack Straw and 8 others like this.
  15. Well Seasoned

Keep it! Just get it a big brother! :tractor:

Hammy, Jack Straw, Maina and 7 others like this.
  16. Flamestead

Flamestead

My wife and daughters, when they were still at home, use the tractor a lot. Before we bought, we made sure to have them get some seat time on all the makes in contention. At the utility farm tractor size, there were some makes clearly not designed for use by a slight build. On the JD (forget which model, 50 hp or so), she could not rest her feet flat on the platform while sitting normally/comfortably. Dealer said the seat was down as far as possible. We said thanks and moved on.

Hammy, bushpilot, Farmchuck and 8 others like this.
  17. Aje1967

Aje1967

I am sure you will be happy with any of the ones listed here. Make sure to get hydrostatic transmission, 4 WD, and live PTO.

Hammy, bushpilot, Maina and 6 others like this.
  18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Why hydro? And a mid mount PTO as it’s only a few hundred more if ordering new...

19. Aje1967

Aje1967

You can live without hydro transmission, but is very nice.

20. Stinny

Stinny

Pretty sure which tractor you choose, as in color, will be what you learn to love. My lil John Deeyuh is 18 years old and I've never had an issue with it. I always give it a pat pat, when I finish doing anything with it. Hydrostatic drive, 4WD, bucket, mower deck, 23 hp gas. My honey uses it a lot these days and loves it. As long as the rig you bring home will do your work list, I'd have your bride pick out whatever she likes... happy wife, happy life... ;)

I recently drove a standard trans small tractor and I was surprised how much I missed the hydro trans... mostly when I wanted to inch up to something slowly. A stan trans would be a deal breaker for my wife... no doubt about it. Good luck with the decision, and have fun at the dealers bushpilot

Slocum, Hammy, bushpilot and 11 others like this.