In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I found another well on the property

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Well Seasoned, Sep 22, 2016.

  1. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I can see Lupine growing around that well. They will bloom in May-June [​IMG]
     
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Good eye, yes, a lot of it surrounds the yard areas. This is a perennial?
     
  3. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,650
    Likes Received:
    130,689
    Location:
    Vermont
    yeah your contaimenent was I believe coliform.. or feces.. very easy for animal poo to be deep in dirt water contacts it on way up... why in VT they require a steel casing until 80 feet or bedrock.. basically most bacteria need light and air to multiply not much of either at that depth..
    well type might be regional thing.. I think what you really have is a improved spring.. where water naturally comes to ground level... someone dug out and put a catch basin in to collect water and a cap to keep debris out.
     
  4. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Yes, they are perennial. However, the old plants die off after a few seasons and new ones replace them from the seed they drop every year. They spread around easily if the conditions are right. Main colors of the wild ones are shades of blue, some pink and some white. Sometimes they are all blue, but out of nowhere, a white or pink one will pop up. Lupine are among my favorite flowering plants.
     
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I know that there are uv systems catching on with incoming water. I might look into this for peace of mind.
     
  6. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    My well tiles are made of clay, old school, about as big around as yours. About 12 feet down, the tiles down size and there is a 2 inch lip. At that lip is a seam were the water comes into the well when the level is drawn down this time up year. In the wet seasons, winter until summer, the water level is up 6 or 8 feet above that seem and doesn't drop even with heavy pumping.
     
  7. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    We have Lupines as well, my wife puts them in flower beds. Our area, and yours, is loaded with them. Very beautiful. The state plants them in the highway mediums.
     
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    You should check out the ones in the field when your up. We'll shoot some clays.
     
  9. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    That would be great! I haven't shot clays in decades. I used to have a Trius Trap that somehow disappeared. Never figured that one out. Kids might have had a hand in that one.
     
  10. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,521
    Likes Received:
    95,567
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    In this area, lupines usually are loaded with aphids. I found that out after transplanting some from the wild into a garden I had.
     
  11. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    No kidding....... I'll keep an eye out for them. These aphids can be red in color to. I've seen them before and wondered what they were all doing back in Pa.