In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I don't want to install a fresh air intake, but do I need one?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Troutbum, Jul 21, 2021.

1. NVhunter

NVhunter

I have an OAK on my Ideal Steel. It used to backpuff and spill smoke bad, especially since it's down in the daylight basement portion of our house. Installed the OAK and it I haven't noticed any backpuffing and the smoke spillage is less but not gone. The IS's door is really big but if I open it up a little and allow the fire some more air spillage is minimal.

PA Mountain Man and brenndatomu like this.
  2. Troutbum

Troutbum

Ive already gone to the Home Cheapo and bought the stuff.

3. Troutbum

Troutbum

It’s true. I didn’t want to put a hole in the hearth, and I was letting that guide my thinking. But, rile people up a little and play devil’s advocate, and you get to know what’s what and where people stand, and come to the realization of what you need to do.
    When I think about myself I’m always reminded of what Melanie Griffith’s character told Paul Newman’s character in the movie “Nobody’s Fool”. “How can you always be so wrong about everything all the time”

4. Troutbum

Troutbum

I talked to my friend who is a contractor and am going to have him drill the hole into the basement. I can do the rest. He recommended using rigid dryer vent material along the entire course instead of the semi rigid stuff. It’s only maybe 4 feet? He suggested drilling a small hole at the lowest point to drain any moisture in case it builds any condensation inside.

Eric VW and brenndatomu like this.
  5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Going down into the basement then turning 90° to an exterior wall?
    If you’re introducing more elbows, I’d say your contractor friend is spot on suggesting smooth pipe- a lot less friction, given you might have more turns than a fairly straight path install. :yes:

brenndatomu and PA Mountain Man like this.
  6. Troutbum

Troutbum

I’m going to need to go out the back of the stove, down thru the floor into the basement, run along the bottom of the floor joists, then back up a little and out.

brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.
  7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Consider some double 45°’s so you can lessen the impact of hard 90°s....

brenndatomu likes this.
  8. Troutbum

Troutbum

Okay. Thanks.

Eric VW likes this.
  9. SD Steve

SD Steve

I know that when my wife is running the the clothes dryer, and I'm trying to get the stove going the draft will come down the chimney, pulling smoke into the house. Once the stove is running you can do whatever you want. It's just getting a cold chimney drafting right way at first is a problem.

brenndatomu likes this.
  10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Preheat the chimney with a propane torch pointed up inside the fire box or light off a crumpled piece of newspaper... that should do away with the cold air plug that causes reverse draft.

yooperdave and brenndatomu like this.