In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I’d rather be making firewood

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Sandhillbilly, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I’ve had the steel for my garage roof for probably five years. Finally pulling the trigger and getting it done. That’s my wife’s youngest helping with tear off. The side he is on had 2 layers of rolled roofing then a layer of tar paper topped with shingles. Huge PITA!:hair:
    90527069-6DAA-4E1F-815C-907181B3DCD8.jpeg
    I’d much rather be making firewood

eatonpcat, Woodwidow, Ron T and 6 others like this.
  2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

All my roof jobs are in my rear view window! :BrianK: It doesn’t look like the technology has changed :rofl: :lol:

Just be careful young man, you’re no fun dead.:faint:

3. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

I reroofed my old tri-plex 25 or so years ago. I swear, one side had 6 layers the other had 7 including the original wood shakes on it, house was early 1900's vintage. This house is going to need done in a few years. Don't think it will be my ash up there. Although I could change my mind when I start getting quotes.:headbang:

4. billb3

billb3

When I did my roof I found the roof had a layer of roll roofing which must have been the original roof. Well tarred seams and nailed every inch. Just like all the barns here had. Then two layers of asphalt shingles on top of that.
    Filled the dumpster right quick.
    When I was a kid I helped seaming rolled roofing with the warmed up soup cans of tar.

Jack Straw, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Roofing sucks, period. Biggest roof we ever did was 105 squares, which was a strip and re-roof. Some of the older roofs had 6-7 layers including a layer of wood shingles. After doing literally thousands of squares I have zero desire to do anymore. Even so, I'm cheap and still shingle my own buildings at my house.

Stephiedoll and Sandhillbilly like this.