In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Husqvarna runs great, then dies

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Sourwood, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

As the tread title states.... past few times I have operate the big saw, it runs great until I am really getting after it, then it dies. Sometimes it starts, other times it must be stone cold.

thoughts. It’s about three years old.

farmer steve, Chaz and M2theB like this.
  2. viking59

viking59

Cracks in the fuel line is my best guess, and check fuel filter

Chaz and M2theB like this.
  3. old iron

old iron

thares also a screen filter in the carb that might be clogged,I had same problem on my 028 sthil

Chaz and M2theB like this.
  4. M2theB

M2theB

How long till it dies?
    Kinda sounds like a tank vent gone south.

Have you tried opening the fuel cap after it dies and then trying to run it?

RabbleRouser and Chaz like this.
  5. Sourwood

Sourwood

M2theB It will run fifteen minutes or so. Removing the cap doesn’t seem to help. Today I checked the fuel and topped it off. I will check the other ideas.

M2theB and Chaz like this.
  6. M2theB

M2theB

I think i understand.
    What I’m suggesting is run it until it happens again and when it does, remove the cap right then. And then try to run it. If that’s what you did and it still didn’t run, I agree, it’s on to the next thing.

7. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I'd check all the fuel lines. I recently found the line that returns the fuel to the tank from the purge bulb had rotted out at the grommet, and it caused irregular behavior until it failed completely and wouldn't start. Those little hoses, if not perfect, can ruin how your saw runs. Good news is, they are cheap to replace, if not exactly easy (at least the first time).

farmer steve likes this.
  8. Brad M

Brad M

One of mine was acting like that recently. It was a clogged fuel pickup filter. It absolutely didn't look clogged, it looked perfect but was the problem none the less. Sounds like you're losing spark or fuel. Test it by letting it run until it starts to die then shoot a quick shot of starting fluid into the air intake. If that keeps it running a bit then you have spark but no fuel.

9. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Using starting fluid is like straight gassing it, no oil in the starting fluid and its very solvent to the oil in the cylinder, you can burn it up.

My first thought was also the fuel tank vent, they only last so long, or the fuel line itself getting soft which is common. Fifteen minutes for that to happen is kind of a long time and makes me think you are loosing spark as things heat up which can be a more complex problem.

Fuel lines and tank vent are much more common and an easier place to start. I would rule them out first.

M2theB and farmer steve like this.
  10. Brad M

Brad M

You are correct. I was thinking about how I’ve tested 4 stroke engines. I will edit my post so that no one gets the idea that it’s ok to do that on a 2 stroke. Thanks!
    **it will not allow me to edit my original post**

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    M2theB likes this.
  11. Nixon

Nixon

This may be a long shot . But if it’s going 15 minutes before acting up , it may be something that takes time to heat soak like the coil .

12. farmer steve

farmer steve

I usually start out with the easy stuff first. New spark plug and fuel line filter.

M2theB likes this.