In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Husqvarna Autotune software

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by haveissues, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Patrick Robert Wilson

Patrick Robert Wilson

I would kill to get the software, have 4+ autotune saws and one is 6 years old that was ran to death with literally no maintenence done on it, (not me, i just rescued the saw.)

But am dying to see the stats on it...

M2theB and SimonHS like this.
  2. SimonHS

SimonHS

Resurrecting this old thread.

haveissues JeffInNH did you get anywhere with this investigation?

I would love to get hold of the CST software too. I bought the hardware recently.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Not sure if those guys are around much anymore?

SimonHS likes this.
  4. SimonHS

SimonHS

Shame. They had the right skills to decipher the AT system, I think. I have an AT coil and carb in a pile of junk somewhere that I would have been willing to donate to the cause. Might try a PM.

5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Have issues was last seen in 2018 it says and Jeff was in January this year

6. JeffInNH

JeffInNH

Sorry I kind of dropped this project. I ended up giving away my CS2253 AT saw b/c I blew it up and rebuilt it 3 times... and I was just done trying to figure out what was causing the piston to burn up.

Bought a Stihl instead, so I'm more motivated to figure out their tools now ;)

I still have the husq., "pod" and come winter I might get back to it when I'm done w/ my outdoor projects.

If someone wants to loan me an AT Carb (probably don't need the whole saw)... when I get back to it I'll be sure to post all the details open-source style...

But honestly, it might be faster/easier just to develop a compatible drop-in-AT Carb replacement board vs try to figure out what kind of insanity Husqvarna did. The sensors and telemetry probably isn't all that complex. The 3-wire RS-232-ish thing is indicative that they didn't want folks toying w/ it.

Any sane embedded engineer would have used 4 wires (TX, RX, PWR, GND), so someone probably got told & paid to make it intentionally harder/stupid.

radio, SKEETER McCLUSKEY and Chud like this.
  7. SimonHS

SimonHS

Thanks for replying. If you want to dig a bit further I have a coil and carb from a 550XP that you could have to play with. I believe that the Husqvarna CST unit needs FTDI D2XX drivers (Ftd2xx.dll) if that is useful to know?

radio and clemsonfor like this.
  8. Chud

Chud

You won’t have to worry about the Stihl burning up pistons like Husqvarnas we let the customers do the r&d on our new over engineered saws only a dealer 2,000 miles away can fix with proprietary software. :wacky:

clemsonfor likes this.
  9. radio

radio

I placed an order for a CST tool for $110 from a dealer, a few days later they sent an email the price is $180. So I cancelled the order. anyone know where I can get the current version or the old version the tool fairly cheap?

I'm pretty sure the three wires to the saw are power, ground and a bi-directional data line.

If I had the old tool with its working software I could reverse-engineer the interface and protocol.

SimonHS likes this.
  10. SimonHS

SimonHS

Your best bet is to keep a look-out for one on eBay or other auction sites. They do appear occasionally.

Jack's Small Engines have them cheaper (see attached image) but will only sell to authorised dealers. If you know a friendly Husqvarna dealer they might order one for you.

Screenshot_2021-08-20-10-01-05.png

radio likes this.
  11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I know some folks with a jonsered dealership. I could ask if I they can get one if you want me too.

radio likes this.
  12. radio

radio

I would appreciate it if you ask them. Thank you!

13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I'll try and remember to next week.

They have a Timber dealership and are loggers. They have a repair/sales shop. They have cut quite a bit of wood for me over the years. I'll see what I can do.

radio likes this.