In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Husqvarna 572XP

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by bear_hunter, Jan 26, 2021.

1. bear_hunter

bear_hunter

I’ve always had Stihl saws but I got my late father in laws Husqvarna 450 a couple weeks ago. I’ve been using it and I am really impressed how much faster it cuts than my Stihl’s. I have a MS362 20” bar and a 046 Magnum 25” bar. I’m thinking about a 572XP with a 28” bar and selling the 362. So talk me into it or talk me out of it with your thoughts or reviews. Lol

2. Screwloose

Screwloose

I'm surprised that the husky is so much faster. Seems like something else is going on. Maybe narrow kerf or ?

brenndatomu, M2theB and cnice_37 like this.
  3. cnice_37

cnice_37

I'm not sure what is going on, a 450 is a pretty boring saw especially compared to pro grade Stihls.

I will support your decision to buy a 572xp but you might want to spend some time dialing in the others, something is wrong.

4. huskihl

huskihl

572 will cut similar to your 046.

5. Andyshine77

Andyshine77

The 450 is a pretty underwhelming saw, the saws you have should out pace it by quite a margin, especially the 460. I would venture to say that your chains need much attention. A property sharpened chain is more important than the power-head.

6. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

I have a 20 year old 372xp, 12 of those years were used professionally by the logger buddies we bought it from. It'll out cut a lot of saws out there and it's lighter to boot.

A little big for limbing, and a little small for felling a giant cottonwood, but in a pinch works for both. I run a 2o" bar on mine. My only complaint about my 372xp is that I don't run it nearly as often as I'd like, due to having wood delivered precut

7. bear_hunter

bear_hunter

I have tuned them and had a guy I know that works on saws double check my tune and everything was fine there. I only run full chisel chains and keep them sharp. It doesn’t matter if I have a brand new chain or a sharpened chain on the MS362 it has just never cut like I think it should since I bought it. I’d have to look at the receipt but I believe I bought it 4 years ago. I took it back to the dealer and had them check it also and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it either.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Plugged up spark arrestor screen?
    Or one of them running skip tooth chain? (kinda confused as to which saw(s) is the slug...)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  9. bear_hunter

bear_hunter

I’ve checked the screen it’s fine. The 362 is the slug. The 046 is still a horse I just need to clutch it.

Screwloose likes this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Compression a little low?

Screwloose likes this.
  11. Screwloose

Screwloose

My opinion, sometimes luck has it that all of the "just barely acceptable" parts concentrate on one particular unit of anything. We collectively call it a lemon. My experience is if you perceive something is amiss weather true or not you'll never be satisfied so best to send it on it's way or it will gnaw away at you.

huskihl, brenndatomu and Chud like this.
  12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Heck, get yourself to a Husky dealer and run a 572. If ya love it, buy it! No shame in that. I’ve heard guys saying they can be had for right around 8 bills. Quite a bit cheaper than the orange and white counterpart of the same cc.

My first ever new saw purchase was a 450. It didn't take me long to realize it just wasn't the saw I wanted to heat my home for the next couple years. It cut just fine but there was more to it than that. I ended up selling it to fund a brandy new 357XP. I've been more than happy with that saw since. Bought in '10 and it would probably be the last to go if the need arised to sell 'em off. It runs different than any stock Stihl I've ever ran previous to getting into ported saws. Very high rpm and chain speed makes it cut like a light saber.
    No telling if you'd like the 572 until you got your mitts on one. Any chance there is another FHC member close with one?

brenndatomu, Screwloose and HoneyFuzz like this.