In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Husqvarna 359 Project

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by M2theB, May 6, 2018.

1. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_0917.JPG I picked this up from the dealer today. Opened it up at home and found it was the Zama in a Husky OEM box, which would have been the Waldbro if were new.
    Is this consistent as being the new Husqvarna OEM?

saewoody and Hammy like this.
  2. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_6462.JPG Pulled this carb floor to install the vent plug. Should have taken a pic. Sorry. IMG_6463.JPG This is the 17 dollar unit with the primer bulb nipple. It's off. May save it for parts or see if I can use it to rebuild the IMG_6466.JPG the old waldbro and new Zama IMG_6471.JPG
    Tuning guide cut to accommodate the Zama tuning station

Tore it all down, installed a vent plug ( I don't know what that is supposed to do, it covers a vent filter, and was missing, so I put it in. Seems counter intuitive), the new carb and a oiler line, which was missing too.

I had to cut the tuning guide arm off to get the carb to fit. The guide interfered with the adjuster screws. I didn't want to that. But I didn't see another way and I didn't see the harm.

Put it together and started on the 4 or 5th pull.
    Ran it for a bit and the chain tightened up again. I loosened it and ran it some more and it got real loose. I think just needed time and revs to prime the oil pump and get the lube to the chain, because when that happened, all was well.

Runs mint! I took video with the iPad, but I don't see how to get that uploaded.
    Hope to go out back with it this afternoon and make some cuts. See if it stays viable.

Attached Files:

3. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_0925.JPG IMG_0926.JPG

4. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_6477.JPG
    It's alive!
    Worked on a big blow over maple for an hour. Very happy with it.
    Could probably use some fine tuning. I didn't make any adjustments to the carb. It's set as it was in the box.

And it's still running the cat muffler. That will change.

Thanks you guys for the help! It was a fun project!

5. Hammy

Hammy

Well done! The saw looks mint. Enjoy the fruits of your labour:)

6. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_6533.JPG
    It occurred to me after the inaugural run last week that I hadn't paid attention to how I set the oiler when I took it out. When I checked it, I had been running on the small bar setting, and set this one up with a 20".

I changed that and took it out this morning for an hour or so on the big maple. It's incredible the difference. I'm really liking this saw!

7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

After all the effort, it's nice to see you are happy with the results.

Good job!

8. M2theB

M2theB

I was thinking about inviting myself down to your place to work on that big oak with it

9. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Ha. The three logs are still there including the log you made cuts on. I still need to roll that one and finish the cuts.

As my stacking space is full, I'm in no hurry to start cutting on them. I know.... I'm needing more stack space. Working on that.

Let me see what I can do about rolling that one log, maybe this week. Once moved out of the way, there'll be better access to the big one on top. Gravity is holding it in place, with one end resting on the stone wall. You'd have full access to the log, easily reaching over the far side of the log.

10. M2theB

M2theB

I'm around this week coming up. If you have a window, I can lend a hand doing all that say maybe on a Thursday or Friday morning

Chaz, brenndatomu and Hammy like this.
  11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Sure. Let's see how the rains and temps look, come Wednesday. Maybe, a 2nd peavy can get it to roll.

brenndatomu, Hammy and M2theB like this.
  12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

It appears that M2theB's saw, is working quite nicely.

It was able to cut 3 rounds out of that top log, fairly quickly.

That hammer is 16"

IMG_20180629_072619995.jpg

Three rounds cut, before the rest f it sunk down onto a stone wall.
    IMG_20180629_090341960.jpg
    Closeup of that end round

IMG_20180629_090423231.jpg

The saw ran well, IMO. I think M2theB was satisfied with this effort rebuilding it.

13. M2theB

M2theB

I'm tickled with the saw. It's the likely candidate of the Murder to get Port-therapy and muffler mod. But even without those uprates, it's nicen.

14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Good to hear. My ported 357 has a Zama and it's been completely reliable for years. Holds tune better than any saw I own.

Now, where's that vid! :saw:

15. M2theB

M2theB

As a newly empty nester, I came across this guy and grabbed it today.

Stalled on me while pointed at some leaves to see the oiler at the sellers place.
    I'm taking a gamble. Owner said it has 3 tanks through it after a shop upper end change out. I haven't inspected the innerds yet.
    I have a pretty good idea what part of issue is with the stall. I poked at the boot clamp and tabs literally flaked right off.
    I'm not surprised it needed an upper change.
    IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0996.JPG
    It had 130 psi as is.

So, another 359 on the bench.
    I'll change the partion wall and add a metal clamp and report back.

Chaz, Hammy and brenndatomu like this.
  16. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Round 2. Ding ding

Chaz, Hammy, M2theB and 1 other person like this.
  17. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_6587.JPG IMG_6588.JPG IMG_6590.JPG IMG_6592.JPG IMG_6596.JPG IMG_6598.JPG
    I got the weeding and watering done early and I'm out of the sun for the rest of the day until the grill comes on and the garage fridge is opened. So I'm hanging at the bench.

I opened it up and found a few things of interest.

After emptying the fuel and putting the cover back on the carburetor area started hissing at me. I opened the cap and it relieved. Never heard that before.

The cylinder hold downs were very easy to release. Not quite loose, but on the verge. That could be a culprit.

The boot clamp for sure has seen its last useful days.

And the good news is that the upper end is mint, is OEM and appears to be models 361 through 372, based on the part number. I'm hoping that a positive.

Without doing any other maintenance or part change out right now, I'm going replace the partition, clamp and tighten the cylinder and see what difference that makes.

brenndatomu, Chaz and Hammy like this.
  18. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_6604.JPG IMG_6600.JPG IMG_6602.JPG IMG_6606.JPG IMG_6607.JPG IMG_6609.JPG IMG_6604.JPG
    Swat most of the day at the bench with this thing. Took a break for a while to visit the family at the pool. But they were all reading and no one had anything to say, so I went back to the bench.
    Couple other things discovered.

Carb gasket installed catywampus to allow for impulse port to not get blinded, at the expense of the cylinder inlet.

Muffler gasket also askew. That was weird.

Impulse nipple on the partion wall came off with the rubber boot. That must have been having some effect.

I got it all back together and couldn't start it. I was getting a fuel mist from somewhere on the clutch side of the saw. And it was flooding. Spark was checked and good. The cylinder was wet around the decomp valve so figure that's where it's coming from.

Took a guess that the reason it was running when I got it was because it was tuned rich to account for the air leaks. So I dialed all adjustment in and backed them out one turn or so.

Got it to start, and run for a little bit. So I think I'm on the right path.
    Done with this one for the day.

19. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_1020.JPG
    I guess we were both done for the day!

I went at it again, dialing all three adjustments in to know where 100% lean is and then backed them all out 1.25 turns.
    With the choke on, I pulled the cord and got it to pop.
    On offed the choke to set high idle, pulled again and voila!
    Still has a high idle, so I'll dial that in a quarter turn at a time. And also has a dodgey spot at a quarter throttle that I can squeeze through. But I can kill the saw if I stay at 1/4.
    I'll play with it. But I think we're heading to New Carbville. Certainly Filter Valley, Ventdale and Rubberhosenshire.
    Made a few cuts. I'll with hold judgement until I sharpen the chain and whack the rakers.

brenndatomu, Hammy, huskihl and 2 others like this.
  20. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_6724.JPG IMG_6725.JPG IMG_6726.JPG IMG_6727.JPG IMG_6728.JPG
    Some progress pics. I'm waiting on a new flange and carburetor.
    Put a new Caber piston ring on, changed the tank vent and the fuel line and filter.
    I discovered I could stall it when I spray the flange in the area of the carburetor bolts. And I knew that was iffy when I put it back together, that's why it's being replaced.
    I measured squish with a gasket and had about 047.
    Gasket measures about 020
    So I going go with a gasket delete on this one.

brenndatomu, Hammy, Chaz and 2 others like this.