In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Husqvarna 350 fuel mix

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Pluke, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Pluke

Pluke

I don't have a manual because I bought the saw used and have never owned a husqvarna saw. I thought it was a 50:1 mix but person I bought from said he has carb adjusted for 40:1 mix. Does this sound right, I don't want to hurt the motor.

clemsonfor, pantelis and TurboDiesel like this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

3. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Doubt the saw will run any different on 40:1 or 50:1
    The oil in the fuel is the lubrication of the internal moving parts of a a 2 cycle engine.

40:1 is fine for any 25 year or newer saw out there .
    Mine says 50:1, but I run on the safe side & run 3 oz of oil per gallon, (42:1)
    .5 oz more in a gallon of gas, the difference in combustion will no be noticed.
    The synthetic oils today are much better, a 40:1 saw would run at 50 :1 .

few years ago, saws were 40: 1, EPA forced the issue & wanted 50:1, (oil don't combust , goes out the exhaust , a cleaner air thing)
    The old saying when you see a car going down the road bellowing blue smoke, we'd say " it's burning oil " but the blue smoke is the un-burned oil
    So the saw makers said mix 50:1 with no modification to the equipment. (now we have better synthetic oils )

I run 40:1 for a bit more internal lubrication/ longer saw life with no noticeable performance loss

An oil mix to rich is way better than to lean :zip:

There's a thread or 2 on here somewhere about different fuel mixes, oil types etc.

IMO ; ethanol fuel is more of an issue than a bit more oil in the mix

4. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Couldn't agree more.

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Sounds good to me. I use 40:1 in all my saws, ported and stock... also for milling. As it was explained to me (I'm not the expert btw), the more oil in the mix the leaner the saw can run because oil is replacing what could have been fuel. Knowing how to properly tune a chainsaw is a vital, valuable tool.

6. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Couldn't agree more. I'd stay with 40:1

Pluke and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  7. Pluke

Pluke

Thank you for the input, makes a lot of sense 40:1 it is.

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  8. pantelis

pantelis

I didnt know that a screwdriver can do so much accuracy adjustments tell to the person who sale to you

keep the saw clean and change filters and everything else it must in the right time and you have the saw for years

40: 1 or 50:1 dont matter if you have forget to change fuel filter for the last 10 years if you can understand what i mean

be happy with your new saw

and change the tighter to the intake boot to a metal from a husqvarna 346 , the plastic will give you leaks very soon

clemsonfor likes this.
  9. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Bingo! Not can but does run leaner! Running richer with a good 40:1 is a good combo.
    I actually think I feel a loss running a rich 40:1 buts I think it's all placebo!

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  10. Pluke

Pluke

Metal for the intake is already put in, the guy I bought it from rebuilt the entire saw.

clemsonfor likes this.
  11. dougand3

dougand3

Maybe seller is saying that it's tuned 1/32 turn leaner/CW because of a little more oil and can have a few more RPMs and be comfortable with it. In real world conditions, I doubt you'll notice.
    I just run 40:1 in everything. Or may be 38:1 or 42:1 or 44:1. Depends on how accurate I am mixing.

12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Run it and everything at 40:1 and don't worry a bit more about it. 50:1 is a bit lean on oil. Will and be fine at it as tins of people run at that ratio but 40:1 won't hurt and is that much more oil as a safety margin . The swap to 50:1 was an epa thing not an engineering thing so much.

I run everythin at 32:1 full synthetic oil right now